+ Reply to Thread
Page 37 of 48 FirstFirst ... 27353637383947 ... LastLast

Thread: Garrard 301 restoration project

I'm Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by A.Grail View Post
    A light and flexible mains cable is essential for the 301 due to it's suspended motor. A stiff or heavy cable will push or pull on the motor (= Noise + wear)
    Yep already know of this problem but thanks for pointing it out. I'll be using 1mm solid core silver for the PSU into the 301, this will them be going into the Nigels Speed Controller which shall it's own very special power lead. The power lead going into the 301 will be suspended from the plinth with cable ties, this eliminating tension and also any metal connection that I used to have sitting under the deck.
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm Paul.

Nice post.

A bit late to this party but one of the tweaks that has stayed on my 401 was a SDS platter mat topped with a rubber mat froma Dual 505. I bought my SDS mat when they cost around £50 but it looks like they are double that now, if I see correctly. The dual 505 mat may seem a bit of an oddity but I found that this contributes no static. When I had a felt mat dust would dive on to the record like kamikaze pilots.
    ~Paul~

I'm Andrew.

Tonights Update - The Garrard Project Pt X - Magnetic Dreams Pt 2

I've assessed all the various components on the 301's plinth and removed anything that was remotely magnetic. Unfortunately the chasis, bearing and platter are all slightly magnetic in nature. There is nothing I can do about the magnetic nature of these components apart from a complete replacement milled from non-magnetic materials and this is simply not going to happen. The tonearm mounting bolts and all the other components in the tonearm mount are all thankfully non-magnetic which means no messing around. The plinth feet are also non-magnetic and so is the record weight. So, why all this faffing around with magnetic components? Well it's all to do with hum on playback. My Tannoys are very sensitive at playing back EVERYTHING so the idea is to try and stop any remnants of ground loop hum or any transformer hum going through the speaker. I'm pleased to say the deck now sounds even better and most pieces of vinyl are silent through the groove. Stay tuned next time for some work on the new bearing.
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm Andrew.

Tonights Update - The Garrard Project Pt XI - With love from Bulgaria.

The new PSU is coming from Bulgaria and this is in keeping with the build of the 301 in that it's been assembled from pieces of kit from all over the world.

Here are a couple of pictures of the handsome beast.

301.jpgU0mlHVp.jpg

The new PSU is great because not only do I have the same speed stability as the old Pheonix engineering system but I have the added bonus of now only being one box and more importantly it's a UK plug. I can also drop the voltage down and see if this has any impact on quality of the soundstage. Getting the new PSU will also mean that I have to start building my "Ultimate" EAR 834 clone. I'll need the shelf space on my rack to accomodate the new PSU!! I'm even more happy now as I have the ability to assess bearing rumble so any further tweaking can be measured to some extent to assess the effects and to see any negative or positive outcomes on the 301's performance. The SPH bearing is now well and truly broken and there is no way that I'm going back to the old 401 or the Martin Bastin bearing that I had before. The deck isn't even bolted into it's plinth (I've been waiting for the new PSU) and it's sounding wonderful. I have a few more things that I'd like to try out but I'm nearing the end of tweaking for this year. As ever, stay tuned...
    SS

VALVE
    PRE

I'm the'greatunwashed'.

Ooo I say, that's sexy
    "People will hear what you tell them to hear" - Thomas Edison

I'm Andrew.

Tonight's Update - The Garrard Project Pt XII - The need for speed.

Well the PSU from Bulgaria fell flat on it's backside. I ended up returning it but perhaps this was Karma. I've happened across a product which claims to give speed accuracy to an even greater accuracy than the Phoenix Engineering products. I will be making enquirers tomorrow to see if this is in production. I've also been looking at my plinth and debated about adding a second arm. I did think about adding my DECCA mk 2 FFSS tonearm but then decided against it because I have a DECCA adapter for the early cartridges such as the MK I/II/III for my SME 3012 tonearms. I think I have just about enough room to the top left of the deck for a 9" tonearm and this would be used purely for experimentation and the enjoyment of tweaking! I think I'd also like to modify the plinth so that the SME 3012 would be decoupled and thus less prone to motor vibration. I think I'd like something very heavy mass and of course it's all dependent upon price. I do have a few other things planned for the 301 but that's for another day!

As ever stay tuned!
    SS

VALVE
    PRE

I'm Andrew.

Tonight's Update - The Garrard Project Pt XIII - Eeeking a bit more out....

Spring is here and my urge to tinker has struck again. I've been thinking about how I can improve the 301 and I noticed two products that I thought might be of some interest. The first is one from Audiosilente in Italy and this take the form of some properly produced sintered bush bearings in the correct Garrard production procedure. This idea originated from seeing an Audiograil auction on the ebay, I didn't realise the Audiograil guys supplied all new bushings, I did try and get some but they didn't want to sell me any (I understand Matt)! No hard feelings . I duly ordered a set from Italy and they should be delivered soon. The second comes in the form of a new speed controller from the land of Oz. This is a product that can produce an accuracy to several thousands of a single RPM which make my Pheonix look poor in comparison. So, I've been exchanging a few emails and hopefully I'll put my order in and at some point have a unit and an extremely accurate 301.
    SS

VALVE
    PRE

I'm Matt.

Nothing personal there, we do not supply spares or carry additional bearings. Simone is straight to deal with and often quick to ship. It is worth replacing the felt reservoirs when fitting the motor bushes
    Beware the lollipop of mediocrity; lick it once and you'll suck forever.
    www.sellgarrard301.com

I'm Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by A.Grail View Post
    Nothing personal there, we do not supply spares or carry additional bearings. Simone is straight to deal with and often quick to ship. It is worth replacing the felt reservoirs when fitting the motor bushes
    It was on your recommendation he got me business, many thanks!
    SS

VALVE
    PRE

I'm Andrew.

Tonight's Update - The Garrard Project Pt XIV

After some time messing around with the Lenco I decided to lavish a little love on the 301. I bought a some Panzerholz cut-offs as an experiment after finding some inspiration from a fellow Lenco Heaven member who is currently undergoing a massive experiment looking at the effects of Tonearm board materials. Panzerholz is known as having a very high dampening factor and is found in some extremely high-end turntables, so why not have some in my system? I initially had my SME 3012 mounted on an Acrylic tonearm board mount and it sounded very very good indeed. I decided to incorperate some of the lessons I learned about vibration suppression whilst tinkering with my Lenco 75 into the 301 project. Dismantling the SME 3012 revealed 4 completely shot grommets so I need to order two sets of these, one set for the 3012 and another set for a 3009 I intend mounting on the plinth as time permits. The 3009 is a little side project that will eventually see the light of day!

The 3012 with new Panzerholz tonearm board, the old acrylic can be seen to the front of the picture and the knackered gromets have been removed whilst replacements arrive.

3012panzerholz.jpg

The Panzerholz started off as a little Sunday afternoon project. Here it is mounted in my vice.

3009tonearm.jpg

And a little time later its finished. Not the best job but no-one is going to see this as it's going to be mounted to the back of the 301.

3009oanzerholz.jpg

The idea with the 3012 is to have a 2 tonearm deck to offer greater flexibility whilst playing vinyl and also to allow me to change my carts around with greater ease. The 3009 will be dedicated to loss mass MM carts, such as the Shure's whilst the 3012 will be used to early DECCA's with an adapter, SPU's, and other MC's such as the Denon 103 collection I have. The 301 now has two phonostages, the Paradise and the EAR 834 clone. Eventually the EAR will be modded so I have a mono switch option and to this end I'll be using my Mono SPU. The 301 is sounding excellent as I write this. I still have the AudioSilente parts to fit in the motor but at this moment in time I'm enjoying the fruits of todays labour.
    SS

VALVE
    PRE

+ Reply to Thread
Page 37 of 48 FirstFirst ... 27353637383947 ... LastLast