+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 48 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Garrard 301 restoration project

I'm Andrew.

Default Garrard 301 restoration project

Guys,

Every Xmas I like to do a little restoration project this year its a Garrard 301 i paid £175 for. Has anyone seen a garrard 301 like this before?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm Andrew.

Just a few quick pictures. I have recieved the chasis for the 301 and its in very good condition, I'll be putting the bearing in there pretty soon. You'll also see from one of the pictures a nice chunky Isotek elite screen mains cable, this will be going in instead of the piece of 30 year old crap that was attached to the 301. At the moment I'm in the process of stripping down all the idler drive and doing an inventory of whats needed. It looks like a set of new springs is needed as well as a set of new knobs and faceplates of front of the chasis. This is a job that will have to wait after Xmas Bewteen now and then I'll be getting the brasso out and cleaing over 30 years worth of crap away from the idler drive. There is also some damage inside of the platter where the brake has worn out it also looks like some mat black spray paint might be on the horizon to smarten this up.
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm afesteringvinylphile.

I love a good restoration flick.
    Lyrics are the ramblings of man, sometimes inspired by The Creator, most often, not.
    But music (melodies, harmonies, rhythms), that's God stuff.
    Always was. Always will be.

One of the biggest lies ever told was that only certain kinds of people should listen to certain kinds of music.

(silent) VINYL LP SLIDESHOWS

I'm Guy.

Matt at Audio Grail does nice restorations. look at the ebay ad & short films to see which aspects can be addressed. I think the linkages are stripped & zinc passivated because the original cadmium plating is rather toxic.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/190572236765

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

Good luck Andrew - great to see an old 301 get a new lease of life.
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.
    Please see "about me" for the rest of my cr@p! Gallery

A.o.S. on Facebook - A.o.S. on Spotify - A.o.S. on Twitter

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

I'm Nobody.

Yeh good luck, a proper turntable at last

I'm Imjustsurviving.

Very Nice Andrew keep the pics and updates coming
    Jon

A person who never made a mistake never tried anything new.

Set up
    Lafayette el84 power amp , Audio note M1 pre , Tannoy Sterlings, Garrard 301 , SME 3012 , puresound P10, Ortofon SPU, Cambridge CXN streamer
    Micro mega Duo 3 cd transport ,

I'm Andrew.

Thanks for the nice comments guys. Some more info on how its going. Well today I bought some matt black paint to refurb the inside of the platter. I also fitted the bearing the chasis, nice and easy, altough I may upgrade this to the Kokomo II bearing, will have to do some research, it all depends if the things rumbles when I finally get it working again. I also took time to have a good look around the springs and rubber components. Well bugger me several of the springs have warped and the vast majority of the rubber has either crumbled or gone hard So on my shopping list I've added a new set of faceplates, a full set of new springs, a brake pad, new set of levers, some isolation grommets and some isolation washers. This little lot will cost about £130 but should be worth it. I also cleaned up the copper work in the 4HF switch assembly (Pics included), I'll also be resoldering this with silver solder and probably replacing the crappy instrinsic wiring with either silver or some newer better insulated copper. Right my missus is complaining so i better get lost for another night!
    SS

VALVE
    PRE

I'm Andrew.

just a few more pics.
    SS

VALVE
    PRE

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

Have you dismantled the bearing assembly yet, Andrew? My 401 bearing was fine, but it rumbled like a basterd, it was actually the idler wheel and inside of the platter that once cleaned up cured it - I'm a bit suspicious of the aftermarket bearings, to be honest - lots of contradictory stories out there, and provided everything is sorted on the standard one I don't think it will the the source of any rumble. I'm no expert on these matters, though - just my personal opinion/experience.
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.
    Please see "about me" for the rest of my cr@p! Gallery

A.o.S. on Facebook - A.o.S. on Spotify - A.o.S. on Twitter

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 48 12311 ... LastLast