+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: If you could only have one label for the rest of your life

I'm Simon.

By composer for classical, by band and then sleeve colour for everything else.

I used to have everything arranged in purchase date order.

I'm Jack.

Yes, my shelves are pretty (and if I knew how to post a picture I would do so).

I thought I was making this a MUCH EASIER challenge than the typical "desert island dozen" and here there are people convulsing on the floor (which I completely understand)

VPI / JMW arm, with Dynavector 20 (also Technics 1200mkII), Luxman 505u integrated, Marantz 8004 SACD/CD, TAD/Pioneer S-2EX speakers, GIK room treatments

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

Quote Originally Posted by JJack View Post

I thought I was making this a MUCH EASIER challenge than the typical "desert island dozen" and here there are people convulsing on the floor (which I completely understand)
    There are instructions - http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?t=2 - but as this seems to be common question, I'm working on a tutorial which I will be posting in the next day or so.
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.
    Please see "about me" for the rest of my cr@p! Gallery

A.o.S. on Facebook - A.o.S. on Spotify - A.o.S. on Twitter

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

I'm Dave.

Quote - If you could only have one label for the rest of your life.

In - Tweaked Lenco GL75, Linn Ittok, Ortofon Cadenza Black
    Through - Croft Micro 25 RS LS, power R monoblocks, RIAA R. Ortofon ST-80 SE SUT.
    Along - Tellurium Q Ultra Black cables
    Out - Harbeth SHL5 Plus XD's

Street photography

Dave

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

Hi Jack updated guide posted earlier today - http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?t=14874 - let me know how you get on - I will merge with the original post in a day or so (the first link I posted yesterday.)
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.
    Please see "about me" for the rest of my cr@p! Gallery

A.o.S. on Facebook - A.o.S. on Spotify - A.o.S. on Twitter

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

I'm gone.

One classical recording label? - Naxos !!

By far the most adventurous and interesting of classical labels, for me, these days.
    ... and it's cheap.

But it's not a question that shares my world view. A truly strange way to look at things! It really would never have occurred to me.
    Last edited by jandl100; 23-12-2011 at 08:50.

I'm gone.

My CD collection (2500 or so) gets organised alphabetically by composer.
    Within a single composer, I organise individual musical types alphabetically by conductor, so my Bruckner symphony collection starts with Abbado and ends with Zender.
    Simples - I can generally find the music I want faster than someone with a computerised collection and a fancy graphics tablet on their lap.

I'm Barry.

I only have about 300 Lps, divided roughly equal b/w jazz and classical, so not enough to arrange by label, so I do it alphabetically by performer. If I had to pick only one classical label it might be the often mediocre sounding Melodiya, simply because there are so many great artists on that label. Otherwise, it would probably be RCA, their Victor monos sound lovely as well. Or EMI...

Best and Merry Christmas All,
    Barry

I'm Jack.

Quote Originally Posted by Thing Fish View Post
    Quote - If you could only have one label for the rest of your life.

As we say in the States: "Thing Fish FTW"

Tough to beat this one.

VPI / JMW arm, with Dynavector 20 (also Technics 1200mkII), Luxman 505u integrated, Marantz 8004 SACD/CD, TAD/Pioneer S-2EX speakers, GIK room treatments

I'm David.

For reasons I can't explain, I organize my music by record label, with the exceptions of Bruckner, chamber, and piano CDs. LPs are all organized by label. [how do you organize your records?]

Which led me to this question:

Which label would you pick if you could only have one for the rest of your life?

BMG, Decca/London, EMI, Sony/Phillips, CBS, can't forget DG, Hyperion, oh, this would be a tough choice. Audiophile labels like Classic Records, MFSL...
    Hi Jack

Firstly I wish my records were organised but moving on, its a completely invidious question. Rather like asking me whether I would rather lose an arm or a leg.

It reminds me of a comment by Ian Tracey (former Director of Music at Liverpool Anglican Cathedral now Organist Titulaire) who was asked which of Cesar Franck's Chorales he loved playing most, to which he he replied "whichever one I happen to be playing at the time"

Some of the finest recordings of all time imho come from Decca but the finest legacy collection of recordings must be EMI, and HMV/Columbia in particular.

Kind regards

David

Quote of the Day

"It must be terrible to be teetotal and to get up in the morning knowing that that's the best you will feel all day" - Frank Sinatra
    Last edited by tannoyman; 13-11-2012 at 23:31. Reason: more rubbish typing
    "Madness is continuing to do things the way you have always done them and expecting a different outcome"

SYSTEM SME 20/3A Record Deck, Series V arm and Denon DL304 MC cartridge, Whest PS30R Phono Stage
    Meridian GO8.2 CD Player, Meridian GO2 Dual Mono Control Unit, Meridian G57 Power Amplifier
    Tannoy Westminster Royal HE loudspeakers
    Cabling - Isotek Supreme Mains, DNM Interconnect & speaker cable. Stands - Hi Fi Rack Podium

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast