View Poll Results: Please rate the album from 1 to 10

Voters
10. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1 / 10 Boo Radleys? More like Boo-ull Shee-it!

0 0%
  • 2 / 10 Could do better

0 0%
  • 3 / 10 Has some merit.......but not much

0 0%
  • 4 / 10 Liked one or two tracks

2 20.00%
  • 5 / 10 Not bad overall, I'd probably listen to it again

0 0%
  • 6 / 10 Pretty good effort

4 40.00%
  • 7 / 10 I like it!

2 20.00%
  • 8 / 10 I like it a lot! I may even buy a copy.

0 0%
  • 9 / 10 Excellent - I'm buying a copy right now

0 0%
  • 10 / 10 Perfect - essential listening

2 20.00%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Album Club: 14.12.2011: The Boo Radleys - Giant Steps.

I'm ChrisB.

I got Giant Steps when it was released, loved it & played it to death, then was really disappointed when 'Wake Up Boo!' was released.
    Did Top release anything?

I'm Barry.

I'm afraid nothing has changed in my opinion of this album, its ok but to be honest it bores me. Did like a couple of songs so its 4/10.

I'm ChrisB.

That's a shame Barry, but thanks for giving it a go.

I'm Will.

Bought and enjoyed this when it came out, gave up with them after 'Wake Up!'...it'll be interesting to see how it stands up to time, I don't think I've listened to it in 15 years!
    Cheers, Will

I'm Steve.

Well Like others here I was initially put off by the more recent 'hit' that they had, but in fairness on listening to this album I actually think it is quite good. Not really sure if it will grrow on me but worth 6/10 at least.
    They swim... the mark of Satan is upon them. They must hang.

FLAC / WDTV Live / Cambridge Audio / Tannoy VX12

I'm ChrisB.

Quote Originally Posted by Beechwoods View Post
    Interesting reference points Chris, I've never given The Boo Radleys time of day based on 'Wake Up Boo' but if their earlier stuff was anything like Dinosaur Jr and My Bloody Valentine they sound well worth checking out.
    I just found this quote from Martin Carr of the band about the influences on the album (10 years after Giant Steps was released):

I just listened to the album now in headphones for the first time in an age and I can hear Surf's Up/Smile/Pet Sounds, Spiritualized, Suede (well, Bernard Butler), The Flaming Lips, London Calling by The Clash (I think all the dub on the album sounds like the people who made it hadn't heard an awful lot of dub music) Moose, Dinosaur Jr, Sugar, MBV, Forever Changes by Love (of course), Goffin/King, New Order, The Beatles, Spacemen 3, Gershwin. It all sounds very old fashioned to me but that's from a distance of ten years, I could never make an album like that now. I heard Os Mutantes about seven years later and realised that we hadn't done anything that hadn't been done before. I wanted everything to sound like a bootleg, like the Smile CD that we listened to so much in those days, with mistakes and talking and all that stuff but I don't hear as much of that as I thought I would.

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

Interesting choice, Chris. I really liked it in parts (love the dub tracks!) but found it a bit samey in others - listened to it a couple of times, will probably play it again some time. I gave it 6.
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.
    Please see "about me" for the rest of my cr@p! Gallery

A.o.S. on Facebook - A.o.S. on Spotify - A.o.S. on Twitter

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

I'm Keith.

Finally got round to listening to this a few times. At first, I thought it sounded like a band who didn't know what they wanted to be - lots of jaunty BritPop melodies but many more experimental bits too. But by the second or third play through, it all seemed to start sounding a bit more cohesive and I began enjoying it rather more.

7 out of ten from me then.
    Keith
    Analogue: Lenco L75 with 'PTP5' top plate in heavy birch ply plinth/re-wired Rega RB300/SAE 1000e HOMC Cartridge/Trans-Fi Reso-Mat/Moth RCM
    Files: Voyage MPD/Custom PC/Supra USB/Beresford ASYNCH-1/Beresford TOSlink cable
    CDP: Inca Katana SE
    DAC: Beresford Caiman MkII (LiPo Battery powered)
    Pre-Amp: Croft Micro 25 Power-Amp: Croft Series 7
    Speakers: DIY Frugel-Horn Mk3 ('FH3') + REL Strata subwoofer
    Headphones: Beyer Dynamics DT990 Pro (250 ohm)/Schiit Asgard Headphone Amp
    Cables - Interconnects: Mark Grant G1000HD Speaker Cables: Van Damme Blue
    Mains: Belkin PF30/Mark Grant DSP2.5 & DSP1.0 Rack: Target

Office System: HP Win8 Laptop/JRiver/MF V-Link2/Beresford Bushmaster MkII/Topping TP20 Mk2/Mission 771e
    Bedroom System: Raspberry Pi/Raspbrian + MPD/HiFiBerry DAC/Topping TP20 Mk2/Mission 760i or DIY Hybrid Valve-MOSFET Headphone amp + Sennheiser HD595

Gallery

I'm Rich.

Sorry for reviving an old thread, bought this album for less than a quid on the auction site and for the last couple of days its been on in my car stereo. Much like the other posters here i wasn't impressed with the whole 'wake up boo' thing but this album actually sound fairly current... its easy to tell their influences, i hear plenty sub-pop and late 80s pre grunge in there.

I also think its a good recording, really dynamic (if a bit shrill in places)... good for blowing out the cobwebs early in the day on the way to work. I gave it 10 as I can see myself going back to this for repeated listens and its definately my cuppa. Indeed for less than a quid one can't be robbed!
    One of these days... I'm going to cut you into little pieces.

I'm ChrisB.

Don't apologise for reviving it Richard, it's great to see that you bought a copy and tried it. That you gave it a 10/10 is just brilliant. I'm really glad you're liking it.
    Cheers

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast