+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Linn Isobariks - Worth anything now?

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

But, but, they BOOGIE and have PRAT to die for!! Are you deaf, man?

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    But, but, they BOOGIE and have PRAT to die for!! Are you deaf, man?

Marco.
    Agreed they did boogie, and no doubt had PRAT, but I couldn't suffer to listen to them for long enough to appreciate that.

Tonal fidelity and imaging are more important to me than deep bass, dynamics and PRAT to the exclusion of all else.

Do you know of any recording studio, broadcaster or quality control monitoring suite that uses/used Linn "Army Barracks"?
    Barry

Linn Records?

Only kidding.

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Linn Records?

Only kidding.

Marco.
    I hadn't thought of that - you could well be right!
    Barry

Carol Kidd's dulcet tones, mixed on 'Briks - now there's a thought!

Marco.
    Main System

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

Carol Kidd was never mixed on 'briks, I can assure you

I've said it before, but I HAVE heard 'briks sound enchanting. Memorable ones were a bolt-up-250 active pair with original SNAPS and NAIC's (12S pre) and loads of listening on tuner as well as LP12/G707/Asak T. Our demo passive pair sprang to life on a Quatre/QMI Gain Cell amp with could give 800WPC into 2 ohms. Clear sound, not at all harsh and a proper ability to drive the 3 ohm 'brik loading. Driven thus, the 1979 vintage 'briks could out speaker the original 801 and KEF 105, which both tripped out their protection circuits..

A last special shout to Jimmy Hughes, who had a few pairs of PMS active 'Briks through his hands. OK with his bolt-up 250's, they sounded SOOOOOOO good with his three Krell KSA50's..

Passive isobariks with weedy Naims? Forget it, the amps just don't have the power, any of them, and a NAP500 may not drive the load if it's bridged for voltage drive, rather than double-mono'd (don't know) for current output.. Gawd, even Avondale are moving away from that 1950's RCA PA amp circuit.....
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

The Carol Kidd thing was just a giggle...

Passive isobariks with weedy Naims? Forget it, the amps just don't have the power, any of them...
    ...which is why the best ones I heard were driven by 250W Stealth monoblocks, like these, each with a 1500VA tranny inside:

They most certainly had no problem driving Briks, but which still 'farted', when certain bass-heavy material was played too loudly!

I owned their ECS cousins, for a while, before they were ousted in my system by a 30W Chinese valve amp....

Marco.
    Main System

I'm Clive.

I remember hearing 'briks at Congleton Hi-Fi, it was one of those demo evenings. Everyone in room coo'ed and was in raptures....except me. The sound wallowed in fat bass. Warm and cuddly - far more so than any moon-face Jensen capacitor! (sorry that's another thread). That's not to say they couldn't be great if setup and driven properly. All this demo showed was poor setup and the level of Linn indoctrination my fellow listeners had received.
    TT 1 Trans-Fi Salvation with magnetic bearing + Trans-Fi Terminator T3Pro + London Reference
    TT 2 Garrard 301 with NWA main bearing + Audiomods Series Six 10.5" + Ortofon 2M Mono SE
    Digital Lindemann Bridge + Gustard R26 with LB external clock
    Pre and Power Amp EWA M40P + M40A
    Bass Amp & DSP Behringer iNuke NU3000DSP x 2
    Speakers 1 Bastanis Sagarmatha Duo with twin baffleless 15" bass drivers per side
    Speakers 2 MarkaudioSota Viotti Tower

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

I bet the bass problem was the deck (LP12 in its most fruity period) and setup loosely on a Sound org table which magnified the plump bass and the 'briks were passive ones?
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm Clive.

Passive briks and REALLY wobbly bass drivers so the LP12 was doing bad things. My 301 and Salvation don't do this!
    TT 1 Trans-Fi Salvation with magnetic bearing + Trans-Fi Terminator T3Pro + London Reference
    TT 2 Garrard 301 with NWA main bearing + Audiomods Series Six 10.5" + Ortofon 2M Mono SE
    Digital Lindemann Bridge + Gustard R26 with LB external clock
    Pre and Power Amp EWA M40P + M40A
    Bass Amp & DSP Behringer iNuke NU3000DSP x 2
    Speakers 1 Bastanis Sagarmatha Duo with twin baffleless 15" bass drivers per side
    Speakers 2 MarkaudioSota Viotti Tower

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast