+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 32

Thread: Linn Isobariks - Worth anything now?

  1. #1
    Join Date: Feb 2009

    Location: Surrey, England UK

    Posts: 591
    I'm Stewart.

    Default Linn Isobariks - Worth anything now?

    I have a pair of Linn Isobariks with outboard passive crossovers and wondered if they were worth anything more than scrap value now?

    They have new grills fitted and all seem to work ok.

    Have had a lot of opinions on this but wondered what the more experienced folk on here have to say on the subject.
    Stewart.

  2. #2
    Join Date: Aug 2010

    Location: Montseny National Park, Catalonia

    Posts: 3,255
    I'm John.

    Default

    Nothing wrong with Linn Isobariks imo.
    I certainly wouldn’t be scrapping them.
    Single spur balanced Mains. Self built music server with 3 seperate linear PSU, Intel i5, 16 GB RAM no hard drive (various Linux OS). Benchmark Dac2 HGC, single ended XLR interconnects/Belkin cable. Exposure 21RC Pre, Super 18 Power (recap & modified). Modded World Audio HD83 HP amp. Hand built Monitors with external crossovers , Volt 250 bass & ABR, Scanspeak 13M8621 Mid & Scanspeak D2905/9300 Hi. HD595 & Beyer 880 (600 ohm) cans.

    The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.
    -Bertrand Russel

    John.

  3. #3
    Join Date: Feb 2011

    Location: Sarf Lunnon

    Posts: 2,066
    I'm Fooked.

    Default

    I have always wanted a pair of isobariks...

    PM sent...
    In - Tweaked Lenco GL75
    Through - Croft pre/power
    Along - Tellurium Q Black
    Out - Spendor SP7/1

    Street photography


    Dave

  4. #4
    Join Date: Jan 2009

    Location: Essex

    Posts: 15,681
    I'm openingabottleofwine.

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lodgesound View Post
    I have a pair of Linn Isobariks with outboard passive crossovers and wondered if they were worth anything more than scrap value now?

    They have new grills fitted and all seem to work ok.

    Have had a lot of opinions on this but wondered what the more experienced folk on here have to say on the subject.
    I know this will be not be of any help at all, and probably what you don't want to hear, but in my opinion the Linn Isobariks were one of the few designs that to my ears were the worse I have ever heard. I thought they were awful! I thought them worthless then, and I have not changed my opinion.

    However the drive units are worth something, and no doubt the cabinets are well made. It could make an interesting project for someone to use these, get away from the isobaric design, and make a set of speakers that actually sound decent.
    Have you listened to this month's choice in the Album Club?

    Barry

  5. #5
    Join Date: Mar 2008

    Location: Dunfermline, Scotland, UK

    Posts: 12,182
    I'm inthescottishmafia.

    Default

    If they are in good nick they still go for good money on ebay etc.

  6. #6
    Join Date: May 2008

    Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with far away trains passing by...

    Posts: 14,336
    I'm David.

    Default

    I think the minimum a pair of passive 'briks has ever gone for is around £500 - £600 and later ones with the high-power mid drivers and better? cabinets should fetch rather more. If yours default to active easily, then that will give them a huge advantage, as the majority of passive examples I ever heard (from all periods) were most inferior - IMO.

    Active drive of late ones is better if you leave the underpowered Naim amps out of it (six 135's will just about manage 108db before strain sets in when I tested a mate's "six-pack" set), but use a set of proper pro amps capable of 4 ohm drive and they should be pretty devastating.

    The best Isobarik's I EVER heard were a 1977 chipboard PMS set driven by three bolt-up 250's, with early matching NAXO, SNAPS' and 32. Absolutely wonderful, this set were stunning on radio 3 as well as his LP12/G707 and Supex900E. An ittok and subsequent upgrades made the system sound worse IMO.
    You turn and it's gone forever; In time you forget
    You know that's love; You know it's only love

  7. #7
    Join Date: Feb 2010

    Posts: 3

    Default I own Isobariks

    My Isobariks are my pride and joy, they sound fabulous with rock and blues which is mainly what I listen to. They have a wonderful bass which I have not heard the like of from other speakers (I have owned quite a few) and whilst probably not the most accurate I think the most musical. I use a Naim 200/202 combo with them and have no problems driving them.

    Jim

  8. #8
    Join Date: May 2008

    Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with far away trains passing by...

    Posts: 14,336
    I'm David.

    Default

    It's the midrange that's the trouble, and those weaned on the better BBC derived monitors (not just Spendor BC1's but LS5/8's and LS5/9's too) and Quads just find the typical 'brik midrange hollow, tubey (on good ones) and screechy and fatiguing on a bad pair. Going active removes a fair old dose of this, but the bright balance remains, depending on the smoothness of the midrange drivers.

    The 'brik box was highly resonant too in the upper midrange, the extra so-called rigidity built in, pushing the box modes right up to where the midrange driver took off. Stick your ear at the centre of the side panels for proof..

    Not being very complimentary am I? Active late ones with smoother, non Naim amps could sound really good and the Linn Bingo-fitted crossover took the infra bass to another level
    You turn and it's gone forever; In time you forget
    You know that's love; You know it's only love

  9. #9
    Join Date: Jan 2008

    Location: Wrexham, North Wales, UK

    Posts: 70,747
    I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by spamnap View Post
    My Isobariks are my pride and joy, they sound fabulous with rock and blues which is mainly what I listen to. They have a wonderful bass which I have not heard the like of from other speakers (I have owned quite a few) and whilst probably not the most accurate I think the most musical. I use a Naim 200/202 combo with them and have no problems driving them.
    Hi Jim,

    Welcome to AoS

    On your next visit, please pop into the Welcome area and introduce yourself to our community, telling us your approximate geographical location, what system you've got, and what music you like, as this procedure is now required of all members.

    Cheers!

    Marco.
    "A man is a success if he gets up in the morning and gets to bed at night, and in between he does what he wants to do". - Milan Kundera.

    "Your validity or worth are not defined or determined by the views of others with their own superimposed agendas". - Pharos (on AoS)

    My system:

    Modified Technics SL-1210MK5G/Mike New high-precision bearing & baseplate/Mike New ETP platter/Bruil record weight/Nagaoka GL602 crystal T/T mat. Paul Hynes SR7EHD PSU (plus regulator modules)/DCSXL pure-silver DC lead. Ortofon RS-212D tonearm/'Speedy Steve' custom-made Ebony armboard. Yannis Tome 423.5 Phono Silver-Litz tonearm cable, with Furutech CF-DIN(R) and Eichmann silver Bullet Plugs. Cartridges: Denon DL-S1 in AT MG-10 headshell with AT-6106 Quattro Hybrid lead-wire. Denon DL-103C1 in '103U' headshell with AT-609 silver lead-wire. Vintage Denon DL-103AU in AT-Ti15ANV Titanium Headshell. Shure M55E in Denon PCL-300 headshell with 6N silver lead-wire. Shure original USA SC35C. Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 transport/DAC. Raspberry Pi-3 Model B and IQaudio Pi-DAC+/Paul Hynes SR3DR-05 linear PSU/Williams Audio NAS linear PSU. Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X preamp. Stereo Coffee LDR. Head-amp: Paul Hynes design/SR5 PSU. Also modified Lentek. Tube Distinctions 50W Class A P/P Copper amp with cryo-treated Tung Sol KT150s. Speakers: 'Lockwood Majors', using 15" Tannoy Monitor Golds, modified with bespoke crossovers. Also Celestion Ditton 15XRs. Stands: Mana Acoustics (non-magnetic stainless steel 'clones’). Hi-Fi Racks Podium T/T wall shelf. Sony ST-5055L tuner. Cables: Furukawa EE/F-S 2mm & 2.6mm solid-core mains leads, fitted with Furutech FI-50 IECs and FI-1363Rs. Stereo interconnects: Sommer Carbokab 225 (with silver-plated MS Audio non-metallic POM RCAs). Speaker cable: VDH 'The Wind' Hybrid II. Digital coaxial cable: 1m Trompeter Electronics Triax TRC-75-2, with MS Audio ‘Starline' silver-plated RCAs. Mains block: Mark Grant 6-way, modded with Furutech FP-1363R sockets and Furukawa cable. Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW 16.5 record cleaner.

  10. #10
    Join Date: Jan 2009

    Location: Essex

    Posts: 15,681
    I'm openingabottleofwine.

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DSJR View Post
    It's the midrange that's the trouble, and those weaned on the better BBC derived monitors (not just Spendor BC1's but LS5/8's and LS5/9's too) and Quads just find the typical 'brik midrange hollow, tubey (on good ones) and screechy and fatiguing on a bad pair. Going active removes a fair old dose of this, but the bright balance remains, depending on the smoothness of the midrange drivers.

    The 'brik box was highly resonant too in the upper midrange, the extra so-called rigidity built in, pushing the box modes right up to where the midrange driver took off. Stick your ear at the centre of the side panels for proof..

    Not being very complimentary am I? Active late ones with smoother, non Naim amps could sound really good and the Linn Bingo-fitted crossover took the infra bass to another level
    I found they had absolutely no focus at all, with a soundstaging and imaging that was so unstable it almost made me seasick!

    Have you listened to this month's choice in the Album Club?

    Barry

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast



 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •