+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Linn Isobariks - Worth anything now?

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm Stewart.

Mine have the outboard passive crossovers in the stands. I tried driving them with a class A Hill Chameleon power amplifier rated at 2Kw per channel into 4 ohms.......(the amp also functions as a handy room heater!)

They certainly sounded surprisingly good.
    Stewart.

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

Those in-stand crossovers are frightening and someone I know of is trying to drive them tri-wired from the amp with a NAP500 - silly billy.........

I did hear a pair as above with a Nakamichi PA7mk2 and it wasn't bad at all, but bass was a bit lumpy...

I'm Nat-andthat'swhyIdrink.

All you need to do to see if something is worth anything is to google it...

Google 'Linn Isobarik ebay' or 'Linn isobarik sale' etc err, not hard to find out tbo, it's all at your fingertips!

I'm Stephen.

Hi,

I do remember James Michael Hughes of Hi-Fi Answers changing his Krell-powered Isobaricks for a pair of passive Arcam Twos costing £199. Some thought he'd gone off his head.

Kind Regards,
    Stephen

I'm Lucky.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Kipling View Post
    Hi,

I do remember James Michael Hughes of Hi-Fi Answers changing his Krell-powered Isobaricks for a pair of passive Arcam Twos costing £199. Some thought he'd gone off his head.

Kind Regards,
    Stephen
    But those of us who'd heard Isobariks knew it was just plain common sense.......
    The Man with the suit and the pace. Knee deep in the dead.

I'm David.

Jimmy and I were firm friends at the time and he went through many speakers between his active 'briks and Arcam 2's.. His last pair of active PMS 'briks were MDF ones from march-April '83 I think and they sounded fine to me. He still had them in storage just before he married, but I have no idea if his wife made him have a clearout of all his unused audio stuff, of which there was a collection I think

With decent and well set up anciliaries, I think most of you would be amazed at how good supposedly humble speakers can be. The Arcam 2's weren't a large speaker at all, but the drivers were competent, the boxes fine and of course Jimmy delved inside them and did all sorts to wiring and crossover parts, in the same way the 'brik tweeters were wired straight out with DNM I recall, these wires oozing from the goo around the top tweeter and down the back panel. He kept those little Arcams for a good few years before the Impulse ones came along, and then the bodging started all over again. I must admit the DNM amps he was using did sound rather fine in a delicately lit kind of way. Denis tended to modify them each batch though, but I understand all of them can be tuned up and serviced now to all but current specs and they fetch great money on the used market.

I'm Lucky.

I remember reading in hifi answers how the editor (Keith Howard) was surprised by the level of resolution JMH was achieving with the Arcam 2 DNM combo. It apparently excelled when played at low volumes.

I'm Lucky.

Didnt JMH use a Russ Andrews modded Linn LP12? I seem to remember a Torlyte sub chassis pre dating today's trick Linn bits by over a decade.

I'm David.

Jimmy and I lost touch in the mid 90's and his main deck then was a "Belted" Roksan, the arm on which changed occasionally, although I think he used a Roksan arm on it latterly?. The LP12's were stock apart from the Valhalla kits sitting naked on the floor, his main one fitted with a much loved Zeta I remember.

Was it all twenty to over thirty years ago now? memories are vague on detail, but the vibe was like last Sunday when I look back. Happy innocent days for me...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast