+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Linn Isobariks - Worth anything now?

I'm Stewart.

Default Linn Isobariks - Worth anything now?

I have a pair of Linn Isobariks with outboard passive crossovers and wondered if they were worth anything more than scrap value now?

They have new grills fitted and all seem to work ok.

Have had a lot of opinions on this but wondered what the more experienced folk on here have to say on the subject.
    Stewart.

I'm John.

Nothing wrong with Linn Isobariks imo.
    I certainly wouldn’t be scrapping them.
    Single spur balanced Mains. Self built music server with 3 seperate linear PSU, Intel i5, 16 GB RAM no hard drive (various Linux OS). Benchmark Dac2 HGC, single ended XLR interconnects/Belkin cable. Exposure 21RC Pre, Super 18 Power (recap & modified). Modded World Audio HD83 HP amp. Hand built Monitors with external crossovers , Volt 250 bass & ABR, Scanspeak 13M8621 Mid & Scanspeak D2905/9300 Hi. HD595 & Beyer 880 (600 ohm) cans.

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.
    -Bertrand Russel

John.

I'm Dave.

I have always wanted a pair of isobariks...

PM sent...
    In - Tweaked Lenco GL75, Linn Ittok, Ortofon Cadenza Black
    Through - Croft Micro 25 RS LS, power R monoblocks, RIAA R. Ortofon ST-80 SE SUT.
    Along - Tellurium Q Ultra Black cables
    Out - Harbeth SHL5 Plus XD's

Street photography

Dave

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by Lodgesound View Post
    I have a pair of Linn Isobariks with outboard passive crossovers and wondered if they were worth anything more than scrap value now?

They have new grills fitted and all seem to work ok.

Have had a lot of opinions on this but wondered what the more experienced folk on here have to say on the subject.
    I know this will be not be of any help at all, and probably what you don't want to hear, but in my opinion the Linn Isobariks were one of the few designs that to my ears were the worse I have ever heard. I thought they were awful! I thought them worthless then, and I have not changed my opinion.

However the drive units are worth something, and no doubt the cabinets are well made. It could make an interesting project for someone to use these, get away from the isobaric design, and make a set of speakers that actually sound decent.
    Barry

I'm inthescottishmafia.

If they are in good nick they still go for good money on ebay etc.

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

I think the minimum a pair of passive 'briks has ever gone for is around £500 - £600 and later ones with the high-power mid drivers and better? cabinets should fetch rather more. If yours default to active easily, then that will give them a huge advantage, as the majority of passive examples I ever heard (from all periods) were most inferior - IMO.

Active drive of late ones is better if you leave the underpowered Naim amps out of it (six 135's will just about manage 108db before strain sets in when I tested a mate's "six-pack" set), but use a set of proper pro amps capable of 4 ohm drive and they should be pretty devastating.

The best Isobarik's I EVER heard were a 1977 chipboard PMS set driven by three bolt-up 250's, with early matching NAXO, SNAPS' and 32. Absolutely wonderful, this set were stunning on radio 3 as well as his LP12/G707 and Supex900E. An ittok and subsequent upgrades made the system sound worse IMO.
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

Default I own Isobariks

My Isobariks are my pride and joy, they sound fabulous with rock and blues which is mainly what I listen to. They have a wonderful bass which I have not heard the like of from other speakers (I have owned quite a few) and whilst probably not the most accurate I think the most musical. I use a Naim 200/202 combo with them and have no problems driving them.

Jim

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

It's the midrange that's the trouble, and those weaned on the better BBC derived monitors (not just Spendor BC1's but LS5/8's and LS5/9's too) and Quads just find the typical 'brik midrange hollow, tubey (on good ones) and screechy and fatiguing on a bad pair. Going active removes a fair old dose of this, but the bright balance remains, depending on the smoothness of the midrange drivers.

The 'brik box was highly resonant too in the upper midrange, the extra so-called rigidity built in, pushing the box modes right up to where the midrange driver took off. Stick your ear at the centre of the side panels for proof..

Not being very complimentary am I? Active late ones with smoother, non Naim amps could sound really good and the Linn Bingo-fitted crossover took the infra bass to another level
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by spamnap View Post
    My Isobariks are my pride and joy, they sound fabulous with rock and blues which is mainly what I listen to. They have a wonderful bass which I have not heard the like of from other speakers (I have owned quite a few) and whilst probably not the most accurate I think the most musical. I use a Naim 200/202 combo with them and have no problems driving them.
    Hi Jim,

Welcome to AoS

On your next visit, please pop into the Welcome area and introduce yourself to our community, telling us your approximate geographical location, what system you've got, and what music you like, as this procedure is now required of all members.

Cheers!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by DSJR View Post
    It's the midrange that's the trouble, and those weaned on the better BBC derived monitors (not just Spendor BC1's but LS5/8's and LS5/9's too) and Quads just find the typical 'brik midrange hollow, tubey (on good ones) and screechy and fatiguing on a bad pair. Going active removes a fair old dose of this, but the bright balance remains, depending on the smoothness of the midrange drivers.

The 'brik box was highly resonant too in the upper midrange, the extra so-called rigidity built in, pushing the box modes right up to where the midrange driver took off. Stick your ear at the centre of the side panels for proof..

Not being very complimentary am I? Active late ones with smoother, non Naim amps could sound really good and the Linn Bingo-fitted crossover took the infra bass to another level
    I found they had absolutely no focus at all, with a soundstaging and imaging that was so unstable it almost made me seasick!

Barry

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast