+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lid Scratches

I'm John.

Default Lid Scratches

Anyone know a good substance to remove scratchs from my record deck lid? Many years ago whilst serving in the RAF we used Goddards Plastic Polish to remove scratchs from the aircraft canopy, however I can't seem to locate the plastic polish version anymore.

I'm Jostein.

Those aquarium owners often have this problem, and their fishes is demanding their view to the world to be clean and pure, so something like this might help?

http://www.marinedepot.com/Lifegard_...FIMTCK-vi.html
    My hifi system:

Turntable: Technics SL-1200 MKII, Ortofon 2M Bronze cartridge, Mike New bearing, MCRU PSU (c), Oyaide HS-CF headshell, Oyaide MJ-12 TT mat, Vantage Audio Copper mat, Isonoe Isolation Feet, Isodek IF-2 isolation platform, Furutech Monza LP stabilizer, Herbie's Hal-O JR damper Phono Stage: Hagerman Cornet 3 (prototype) Amplifiers: EAR 868L Preamp, Transcription Audio 211 Heaven Power amp, Bob Carver Cherry 180 power amp CD Player: Ear Yoshino Acute Tuner: Magnum Dynalab 90T Speakers: Vandersteen 2CE SigII, Townshend Audio Super Tweeters, Transcription Audio Speakers Cables and stuff: LFD Audio interconnects and speaker cables, Mark Grant G2000HD, BlackCat Electronics, Van Den Hul Clearwater, Black Rhodium mains cables, Black Rhodium mains block, Finite Elements Resonator, Townhsend Stella Speaker stands, Pro Audio Bono hifi rack, Herbie's spike gliders, Herbie's Ultravox and Hal-O tube dampers, Super Black Hole CD mat Record Cleaning Machine: Loricraft PRC4

I'm Mike.

The best product I know of is Novus plastic polish and scratch remover. They make a kit with #1, 2, and 3, but all you really need is #2. It works on all plastic and polycarbonate, and even works on eyeglasses lenses. It is available in many places and on line too. I bought mine at a local motorcycle dealer.

I'm Ddeleted.

You could try this

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/350508219015

not used it myself but I know others who have and say its not bad for light surface swirls but no good for deep scratches (but I suspect nothing is)

I'm Julian.

There is this stuff aswell, but not tried it -

http://www.audiodestination.co.uk/in...oducts_id=2890
    Sonore Rendu - Cambridge Audio Edge W - Sonus Faber Venere 2.5

Location: North Cambs UK, Earth, Sol, Orion - Cygnus arm of galaxy

I'm MadeOfDeadGiantStarsThatExplodedEonsAgo.

I always used to use Brasso, you may well find that T-Cut does the job just as well to

Put it like this, I always use Brasso on unplayable CDs & DVDs & I have never failed in getting them playing & rid of scratches yet
    Bests, Mark

"We must believe in free will. We have no choice" Isaac Bashevis Singer

I'm John.

Quote Originally Posted by Reid Malenfant View Post
    I always used to use Brasso, you may well find that T-Cut does the job just as well to

Put it like this, I always use Brasso on unplayable CDs & DVDs & I have never failed in getting them playing & rid of scratches yet
    Thanks for your input, I'm flabbergasted that Brasso helps CD's and DVD's play again...amazing; you learn something every day.

Location: North Cambs UK, Earth, Sol, Orion - Cygnus arm of galaxy

I'm MadeOfDeadGiantStarsThatExplodedEonsAgo.

You have to be careful & make sure you polish backwards & forwards from the edge to the centre & back, gradually working round the CD/DVD whatever

Any abrasive will put miniscule or microscopic scratches into the plastic, so as long as you polish from the centre to the outside & back the microscopic scratches introduced by the polishing will be at a roughly 90 degree angle to the laser travel & result in less errors.

Just make sure you support the CD or DVD on some solid flat surface when doing this. I mean solid to! I generally use an offcut of 18mm MDF
    Bests, Mark

"We must believe in free will. We have no choice" Isaac Bashevis Singer

I'm Nathan.

Quote Originally Posted by Reid Malenfant View Post
    You have to be careful & make sure you polish backwards & forwards from the edge to the centre & back, gradually working round the CD/DVD whatever

Any abrasive will put miniscule or microscopic scratches into the plastic, so as long as you polish from the centre to the outside & back the microscopic scratches introduced by the polishing will be at a roughly 90 degree angle to the laser travel & result in less errors.

Just make sure you support the CD or DVD on some solid flat surface when doing this. I mean solid to! I generally use an offcut of 18mm MDF
    I am going to give this a go this evening on a few of my more badly off CDs.

Nice one.
    DIY is fine and dandy, but just try selling it on!

Nathan.

I'm Simon.

Meguires plastic polish from Halfords, about £10 for a 150ml tube and it'll polish, acrylic, polycarb, pretty much any optical polymer and it's less abrasive than Brasso and also doesn't contain VOC's unlike Brasso.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast