+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jelco/headshell?

I'm arecurringnightmare.

Default Jelco/headshell?

Hi

I've been looking around at different headshells to match the Jelco750/DV20x2l(stop gap,).

I know your all going to say either Sumiko or Oyaide, but what about the other Japanese makes...Zonotone, Ikeda, Koetsu, Micro Seiki, Orsonic, My Sonic Lab, Yamomoto,Saec to name i few, i know some of these companies are not around any more but any info on the above would be most helpful.

I must say i have a real liking for the Orsonic AV(Anti Vibration) headshells.(looks the dogs)

I'm Jostein.

The Clearaudio headshells might be an alternative if you don't get the Orsonic?

http://www.clearaudio.de/_en/zi_Stab...0Headshell.php
    My hifi system:

Turntable: Technics SL-1200 MKII, Ortofon 2M Bronze cartridge, Mike New bearing, MCRU PSU (c), Oyaide HS-CF headshell, Oyaide MJ-12 TT mat, Vantage Audio Copper mat, Isonoe Isolation Feet, Isodek IF-2 isolation platform, Furutech Monza LP stabilizer, Herbie's Hal-O JR damper Phono Stage: Hagerman Cornet 3 (prototype) Amplifiers: EAR 868L Preamp, Transcription Audio 211 Heaven Power amp, Bob Carver Cherry 180 power amp CD Player: Ear Yoshino Acute Tuner: Magnum Dynalab 90T Speakers: Vandersteen 2CE SigII, Townshend Audio Super Tweeters, Transcription Audio Speakers Cables and stuff: LFD Audio interconnects and speaker cables, Mark Grant G2000HD, BlackCat Electronics, Van Den Hul Clearwater, Black Rhodium mains cables, Black Rhodium mains block, Finite Elements Resonator, Townhsend Stella Speaker stands, Pro Audio Bono hifi rack, Herbie's spike gliders, Herbie's Ultravox and Hal-O tube dampers, Super Black Hole CD mat Record Cleaning Machine: Loricraft PRC4

MartinT Guest

The Dynavector headshells are extremely good - I have two - but they are as rare as hen's teeth.

I'm Jostein.

This Yamamoto HS-1AS African ebony headshell is certainly nice looking:

http://www.117.ne.jp/~y-s/head-shell...S-1As-eng.html
    My hifi system:

Turntable: Technics SL-1200 MKII, Ortofon 2M Bronze cartridge, Mike New bearing, MCRU PSU (c), Oyaide HS-CF headshell, Oyaide MJ-12 TT mat, Vantage Audio Copper mat, Isonoe Isolation Feet, Isodek IF-2 isolation platform, Furutech Monza LP stabilizer, Herbie's Hal-O JR damper Phono Stage: Hagerman Cornet 3 (prototype) Amplifiers: EAR 868L Preamp, Transcription Audio 211 Heaven Power amp, Bob Carver Cherry 180 power amp CD Player: Ear Yoshino Acute Tuner: Magnum Dynalab 90T Speakers: Vandersteen 2CE SigII, Townshend Audio Super Tweeters, Transcription Audio Speakers Cables and stuff: LFD Audio interconnects and speaker cables, Mark Grant G2000HD, BlackCat Electronics, Van Den Hul Clearwater, Black Rhodium mains cables, Black Rhodium mains block, Finite Elements Resonator, Townhsend Stella Speaker stands, Pro Audio Bono hifi rack, Herbie's spike gliders, Herbie's Ultravox and Hal-O tube dampers, Super Black Hole CD mat Record Cleaning Machine: Loricraft PRC4

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

Headshells look to be a boutique product all in their own right and science be damned.. I'm sure the Oyaide layered shell is good - as long as it doesn't have a springiness like a diving board in it.. The Sumiko shell still seems to be a great universal one with no major flaws in it and the cost isn't silly either. maybe the others around a ton in cost really are better, but I'm not sure I could reliably tell a difference these days sadly, even with a top-end turntable...
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

MartinT Guest

Interesting that the Yamamoto's writing faces the 'wrong' way.

I'm arecurringnightmare.

Quote Originally Posted by MartinT View Post
    The Dynavector headshells are extremely good - I have two - but they are as rare as hen's teeth.
    Your DV507MKII looks fantastic... to hear/see/own one on a Denon DP3000 or similar.
    I'd be in heaven with that combo....Futuristic/Retro looks (SPACE 1999 Artifact).

Quote Originally Posted by DSJR View Post
    Headshells look to be a boutique product all in their own right and science be damned..
    I do agree.

For me,to some degree, looks do play a part (as above), but sound quality is more important.

I'm David.

Charles,
    I would quite happily let you borrow my Oyaide headshell for a listen as I am using one of these TT's currently so don't need it for a while.
    Saves you buying one and not liking it! however un-likely that may be

I'm arecurringnightmare.

WOW!

That is a very generous offer, only trouble is I'm not have the Jelco fitted until i have the SR7 fitted, My dealer is fitting both when the PSU arrives, But if the offer is still available then, i would like to take you up, at least that way i can see what the differences are against the Sumiko and maybe the Orsonic AV1/11

Thank you for such a kind offer.

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

Charles, what part of Suffolk do you hail from?
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast