+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Creative designs for tonearms

I'm Peter.

Quote Originally Posted by The Grand Wazoo View Post
    How about the Nad 5120 turntable with the flat tonearm.

It was made from printed circuit board material & the wiring was copper tracks with electrostatic shielding from hum.
    The thing was 1 or 2mm thick, making it incredibly strong in the lateral plane (stronger than a tube) but bendy in the vertical plane - Perhaps not so obviously good, except that the notion that an arm should be rigid is related to the fact that tubes ring when they're excited. If you think about it, some flat fibre-loaded resin isn't going to ring, so does it really need to be completely rigid? The vibrations went down the beam to the counterweight. The counterweight had a hinge, it was spring loaded and also included a paddle dipped into a dashpot filled with damping fluid.
    This tone-arm was also available on its' own, for a short time. It could handle some good carts. too. The complete set-up was only let down by the plastic platter and plinth. IMSC it was £109 inc. cart.. There were few issues with the arm, very innovative with well founded principles. Seem to remember it was made Czech Republic? Most people scoffed at it.

I'm Jostein.

The recently released EAT E-Flat turntable:

My hifi system:

Turntable: Technics SL-1200 MKII, Ortofon 2M Bronze cartridge, Mike New bearing, MCRU PSU (c), Oyaide HS-CF headshell, Oyaide MJ-12 TT mat, Vantage Audio Copper mat, Isonoe Isolation Feet, Isodek IF-2 isolation platform, Furutech Monza LP stabilizer, Herbie's Hal-O JR damper Phono Stage: Hagerman Cornet 3 (prototype) Amplifiers: EAR 868L Preamp, Transcription Audio 211 Heaven Power amp, Bob Carver Cherry 180 power amp CD Player: Ear Yoshino Acute Tuner: Magnum Dynalab 90T Speakers: Vandersteen 2CE SigII, Townshend Audio Super Tweeters, Transcription Audio Speakers Cables and stuff: LFD Audio interconnects and speaker cables, Mark Grant G2000HD, BlackCat Electronics, Van Den Hul Clearwater, Black Rhodium mains cables, Black Rhodium mains block, Finite Elements Resonator, Townhsend Stella Speaker stands, Pro Audio Bono hifi rack, Herbie's spike gliders, Herbie's Ultravox and Hal-O tube dampers, Super Black Hole CD mat Record Cleaning Machine: Loricraft PRC4

I'm Bob.

Quote Originally Posted by jostber View Post
    The recently released EAT E-Flat turntable:

Wow. That looks beautiful!

Can it play in other keys, though?

I'm ThinkingOfHorns.

Quote Originally Posted by MartinT View Post
    I always thought the Triplanar rather an amazing arm.

Very nice arm! I like these though

alfie
    Main System: Denon DP-6000 VPI Base/Fidelity Research FR64s/Ortofon SPU Royal GM MKII/Shelter 901/Auditorium 23 SUT/Pure Sound P10/SB Touch or Audio Note CDT & M2Tech Young Dac/BL Audio LP-1/New Audio Frontiers KT66 Legend/Living Voice OBX.
    2nd System: PC/Foobar/E-MU 0404 pci (Modded)/AVI ADM9/Rel Strata II subs.

MartinT Guest

Quote Originally Posted by jostber View Post
    The recently released EAT E-Flat turntable
    Those headshell holes look a little rough. I wonder how they would hold out with repeated use? Looks like an entire arm swap if they fail.

MartinT Guest

Missing piccie there, Alfie.

I'm ChrisB.

That picture was not showing for me last night, so I went to the source of it to see what it was. When I came back here, it had miraculously appeared, so I thought Alfie must've sorted out a dodgy tag or something. It seems that wasn't the problem. Anyway, it seems to be a pictuire of a Fidelity Research FR64S - will this one do?

MartinT Guest

Sure will, Chris. Lovely hefty arm.

I'm Shane.

Here's one I made earlier that didn't really work:

and one that did:

Time flies like an arrow.
    Fruit flies like a banana.

I'm Bob.

Excellent Shane

Can anyone tell me what the advantages/disadvantages are of S-shaped tonearms compared to straight ones with a kink at the end?

It seems to me that more "modern" arms are straight, whilst the classic stuff uses an S bend. To my mind it's the angle that the headshell has in relation to the groove, and the arc it travels across the record that are important. How the headshell is connected to the pivot is trivial - provided things like resonance are controlled.

Thanks,
    Bob

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast