+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 'The Wand' unipivot tonearm: could it be the next budget 'giantkiller'?

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Hi Keith,

I guess you're referring to some of the comments I've made. I apologise if I've upset or offended you.

Rest assured that I wasn't referring to people who own Rega arms because they can't afford to use anything else, but rather to those who can but don't, often either through a lack of imagination, blinkered 'flat-earthism', and/or simply seeking the 'safe'/'popular' choice, or have been influenced by peer pressure, and/or (in the case of, for example, SME), the lure of 'the badge'.

Therefore, my comments don't apply to you. Quite simply, however, if one has a budget of £1000+ to spend on a tonearm, there's a whole big world out there away from the mainstream and the likes of an RB1000, SME 309/IV, Linn Ekos, Origin Live, etc, as evidenced on the Creative Tonearm thread elsewhere in Analogue Art.

Fair enough if you've listened to some of the options available and settled on one of the above as the favourite, but simply to do otherwise, smacks of laziness and a distinct lack of imagination or lateral thinking, and making choices for reasons other than what should matter most: achieving the best sound-per-pound value within your available budget.

I hope that this clears up the confusion, and once again, sorry for any offence caused

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Keith.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    I hope that this clears up the confusion, and once again, sorry for any offence caused

Marco.
    Morning Marco. Thanks for the clarification and no offence taken
    Keith
    Analogue: Lenco L75 with 'PTP5' top plate in heavy birch ply plinth/re-wired Rega RB300/SAE 1000e HOMC Cartridge/Trans-Fi Reso-Mat/Moth RCM
    Files: Voyage MPD/Custom PC/Supra USB/Beresford ASYNCH-1/Beresford TOSlink cable
    CDP: Inca Katana SE
    DAC: Beresford Caiman MkII (LiPo Battery powered)
    Pre-Amp: Croft Micro 25 Power-Amp: Croft Series 7
    Speakers: DIY Frugel-Horn Mk3 ('FH3') + REL Strata subwoofer
    Headphones: Beyer Dynamics DT990 Pro (250 ohm)/Schiit Asgard Headphone Amp
    Cables - Interconnects: Mark Grant G1000HD Speaker Cables: Van Damme Blue
    Mains: Belkin PF30/Mark Grant DSP2.5 & DSP1.0 Rack: Target

Office System: HP Win8 Laptop/JRiver/MF V-Link2/Beresford Bushmaster MkII/Topping TP20 Mk2/Mission 771e
    Bedroom System: Raspberry Pi/Raspbrian + MPD/HiFiBerry DAC/Topping TP20 Mk2/Mission 760i or DIY Hybrid Valve-MOSFET Headphone amp + Sennheiser HD595

Gallery

Nice one, dude. For £85, you simply couldn't have bought a better modern tonearm!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by keiths View Post
    Some posters here seem to have a bee in their bonnet about Rega arms, labelling owners of them "boring", "unimaginative", "unsophisticated" and generally foolish and inferior. That doesn't seem to happen with other affordable components and, I must say, I'm getting a bit pissed off with it.

Agree. Just because Rega aren't the best match for certain people's Techies does not make them a bad arm. They work well on a lot of turntables and I understand the latest variants are a considerable improvement. Funny how Beobloke who has reviewed countless arms including forum favourites is so enthusiastic about the SME 309.

Wasn't the 3009 series designed to accomodate SPU's incorporating a headshell dimension that is in fact an Ortofon invention? I think the method of adjustment for alignment and azimuth used by SME would have solved certain recent issues.

Don't confuse neutrality with boring as opposed to adding excitement through added resonances and deviation from the most accurate reproduction. There's also a lot to be said for buying British made kit when superb products are still being made here.
    Last edited by Audioman; 15-12-2011 at 11:48.

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

May I add here that a composite wooden-ply type arm-board seems to like the Rega arms IMO and that tightly coupling one to a metal plate may not be the answer for these.

I do disagree about the "badge factor" of the SME's though. I do agree that the cost is horrendous and the supplying dealers don't make a huge margin either (maybe the biggest ones do, but they are one or two in the UK I reckon), but there's something about the finish and handling pleasure of a SME 309, IV and V that is difficult to describe. I have used them in pre-Cirkus LP12's too to great effect and always preferred the SME V to an Ekos of any marque on these. I haven't tried an SME on a Cirkus LP12 but would hope it would be even better. I have no idea if there's an SME cut Keel (I very much doubt it?) but an SME cut Rubikon would be interesting I think...
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

Hi Dave,

I do disagree about the "badge factor" of the SME's though.
    Well, some people buy them for that very reason, so there's nothing to disagree about, matey. It's a fact!

I know personally of people who have bought SME products (tonearms and T/Ts) solely on the strength of their brand reputation, glowing magazine reviews, and also through an element of badge snobbery, or even something ridiculously superficial and quaint, such as the desire to own equipment that is 'quintessentially British'!

Each to his or her own, I guess, but that attitude is not likely to result in owning equipment that is high in SPPV, and often also, it results in not owning the genuinely best sounding equipment at the price point one can afford.

Sorry, but if the goal is to achieve the best possible sound, it's a lazy and often ineffectual attitude to have, IMO, and a sure way of never achieving true sonic greatness with a system.

...but there's something about the finish and handling pleasure of a SME 309, IV and V that is difficult to describe.
    Yes, but what matters most - "finish and handling pleasure" or ultimate sound quality? This is not a discussion about jewellery or expensive cars, it's about audio equipment and hearing one's music at its best!

I've used plenty of SME tonearms in the past, and yes they're superbly engineered and a joy to use, but in comparison to other similarly priced (or cheaper) tonearms on the market, with anything other than a suitably 'upfront' sounding cartridge, they sound about as bland and grey as a rainy day in Slough....

Furthermore, SME arms don't have the monopoly on luxurious build and feel. I can assure you that both Martin's Dynavector and my Ortofon, for example, easily do both of that to the same degree, and sound WAY better to boot!

So my advice to anyone in the market for a high-end tonearm, is to think outside of the box, do some research (and if necessary) legwork, and follow some of the less 'well-trodden' paths in world of tonearms. Trust me, if you do, the rewards can be substantial.

Marco.
    Main System

I'm Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by DSJR View Post
    May I add here that a composite wooden-ply type arm-board seems to like the Rega arms IMO and that tightly coupling one to a metal plate may not be the answer for these.

I do disagree about the "badge factor" of the SME's though. I do agree that the cost is horrendous and the supplying dealers don't make a huge margin either (maybe the biggest ones do, but they are one or two in the UK I reckon), but there's something about the finish and handling pleasure of a SME 309, IV and V that is difficult to describe. I have used them in pre-Cirkus LP12's too to great effect and always preferred the SME V to an Ekos of any marque on these. I haven't tried an SME on a Cirkus LP12 but would hope it would be even better. I have no idea if there's an SME cut Keel (I very much doubt it?) but an SME cut Rubikon would be interesting I think...
    Regas work fine on metal arm boards. They like any stiff arm (including SME) do require a degree of decoupling to perform at their best. Both arms are stock recommendations for the Mitchell decks for instance. As for horrendous costs of SME products this makes many other brands appear just as overpriced. Audio Origami, Marco's Ortofon, Linn Ekos SE, Dynavector and others come to mind.

I don't think it's badge snobbery but superior quality and ease of adjustment at their market price point that makes SME popular. Which arm sounds best will depend on synergy with cartridge and TT used as well as personal taste.

Hi Paul,

Regas work fine on metal arm boards. They like any stiff arm (including SME) do require a degree of decoupling to perform at their best. Both arms are stock recommendations for the Mitchell decks for instance.
    Interesting, and I would agree, as all the times I've heard Rega and SME arms sounding what I'd consider as half-decent, they've generally been on an Orbe or a Gyrodec....

As for horrendous costs of SME products this makes many other brands appear just as overpriced. Audio Origami, Marco's Ortofon, Linn Ekos SE, Dynavector and others come to mind.
    Sure, but the term "overpriced" is entirely subjective, and so I deliberately haven't used that word. My argument is based on achieving the highest sound-per-pound value, which is a different thing entirely, and one which in my experience is poor value with most SME ams, in comparison to the others you've mentioned (save the Linn).

I don't think it's badge snobbery but superior quality and ease of adjustment at their market price point that makes SME popular.
    Well, again I can only speak from experience and state that I *actually* know of people who qualify for the first description you've mentioned, so I can assure you that it's not a figment of my imagination!

And as for "superior quality and ease of adjustment", there is nothing about an SME V, in that respect, that isn't equalled or bettered by my Ortofon or Martin's Dynavector.

Which arm sounds best will depend on synergy with cartridge and TT used as well as personal taste.
    Absolutely, but it pays to think outside of the box and apply some lateral thinking, in order to arrive at what one thinks sounds best, rather than simply sticking to the same tired old 'tried and tested' options, which often don't offer the best sonic performance at their given price point.

Marco.
    Main System

I'm Paul.

[QUOTE=Marco;275468]Hi Paul,

Sure, but the term "overpriced" is entirely subjective, and so I deliberately haven't used that word. My argument is based on achieving the highest sound-per-pound value, which is a different thing entirely, and one which in my experience is poor value with most SME ams, in comparison to the others you've mentioned (save the Linn).
    I was mearly speculating that if Dave's view on pricing is right all the other high end arms are 'overpriced'. Not a view I would entirely agree with although they are very expensive by many people's standards. Many though wouldn't bat an eyelid at spending same on a large TV.

Well, again I can only speak from experience and state that I *actually* know of people who qualify for the first description you mention, so I can assure you that it's not a figment of my imagination!

And as for "superior quality and ease of adjustment", there is nothing about an SME V, in that respect, that isn't equalled or bettered by my Ortofon or Martin's Dynavector.
    I think you are comparing with two exceptionaly good arms in this respect especialy the Dynavector. Unfortunately the latter is also too heavy for decks with suspensions. There is also a certain amount of badge value in ownership of other high end brands. The SME is better known and marketed and I imagine so remains inspirational to less knowledgable Audiophiles. At least it doesn't fall into the B and O / Bose catagory. As far as value is concerned and going by the current specs of SME arms (website is not entirely accurate) the real SPP isn't the series V (where the snob value realy lies). Judging from others opinions the cabling options now available are an important factor.
    Last edited by Audioman; 15-12-2011 at 15:15.

Hi Paul,

I think you are comparing with two exceptionaly good arms in this respect especialy the Dynavector.
    Well, what else should I compare an SME V to (SME's flagship 9" arm) - something less exceptionally good? Lol!

The fact is that my Ortofon RS-212D costs about £200 less than an SME V, and in my opinion (and also that of others who have seen and heard it), it is every bit as well-engineered, yet sounds far better!

Therefore, it's a perfectly fair comparison to make, so I'm not sure what your point is

Unfortunately the latter is also too heavy for decks with suspensions.
    True, but I suspect that no knowledgeable and discerning audiophile would use one on a bouncy T/T!

There is also a certain amount of badge value in ownership of other high end brands.
    Indeed there is, and it's a bizarre and rather ludicrous mentality that I simply can't relate to

The SME is better known and marketed and I imagine so remains inspirational to less knowledgable Audiophiles.
    Absolutely true again, but I don't think it excuses people from failing to look beyond the end of the noses! Most people have access to computers these days, and so it's not difficult to carry out a little research and form a more wide-ranging opinion on items one is intending on buying. It's called using common sense.

As far as value is concerned and going by the current specs of SME arms (website is not entirely accurate) the real SPP isn't the series V (where the snob value realy lies)
    Absolutely. The real SPPV items in the SME tonearm range are the Series M2 and 309, both of which offer excellent value (and with the right cartridge) can sound superb!

Marco.
    Main System

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast