+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: TransFi TURNTABLE PLATTER MAT...... THE 'RESO-MAT'

I'm gone.

Another couple of days' listening have gone by, and I'm finding the Reso-mat on the bare platter of my tt a bit tonally stark and the sound is less involving and interesting.

To be fair, the platter on the Jap direct drives that I love tend to ring a bit, and do need some damping. The Reso-mat does nothing in the way of platter damping.

So I put the Pioneer's rubber mat on with the Reso-mat on top of that. (And, yes, I always adjusted the VTA accordingly. )
    Ah, that's better. Some platter damping with the Reso-mat on top and all is well again.
    Last edited by jandl100; 10-12-2011 at 11:37. Reason: clarification

I'm ILOB.

shame its not working for you but if under a week Vic will gladly refund money
    Loves anything from Pain of Salvation to Jeff Buckley to Django to Sarasate to Surinder Sandhu to Shawn Lane to Nick Drake to Rush to Beth Hart to Kate Bush to Rodrigo Y Gabriela to The Hellecasters to Dark Sanctury to Ben Harper to Karicus to Dream Theater to Zero Hour to Al DiMeola to Larry Carlton to Derek Trucks to Govt Mule to?

Humour: One of the few things worth taking seriously

I'm gone.

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    shame its not working for you but if under a week Vic will gladly refund money
    Who me?

It's working just fine for me, thanks! - I just need to make sure that my rather 'ringy' platter is damped as well.

I'm ILOB.

ahh sorry miss understood Jerry
    Loves anything from Pain of Salvation to Jeff Buckley to Django to Sarasate to Surinder Sandhu to Shawn Lane to Nick Drake to Rush to Beth Hart to Kate Bush to Rodrigo Y Gabriela to The Hellecasters to Dark Sanctury to Ben Harper to Karicus to Dream Theater to Zero Hour to Al DiMeola to Larry Carlton to Derek Trucks to Govt Mule to?

Humour: One of the few things worth taking seriously

I'm gone.

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    ahh sorry miss understood Jerry
    No - easily done! I've modified my post #21 to make my thoughts clearer.

I'm Deleted.

I'm not a fan of this layering of mats and certainly my own design is intended to make direct contact with the platter. Using a mat is not the appropriate way to damp a platter in my view, such damping is better placed under the platter, or preferably not required in the first place.
    Account Deleted

I'm gone.

Yes, I agree in principle, Mark - but, as they say, we are where we are. And I do currently have a tt with a platter that rings - and damping it is audibly beneficial. And placing the Reso-mat on top of a damping mat makes the sound better. Sort of 2 wrongs making a sort of right.
    Would a better platter design be superior? I am sure that it would.

I'm Deleted.

Can you not apply damping to the underside of the platter and do away with the rubber mat?

To be honest, I would say that your TT is an economy too far; no amount of mat experimentation will overcome its inherent limitations.
    Account Deleted

I'm gone.

Quote Originally Posted by YNWaN View Post
    Can you not apply damping to the underside of the platter and do away with the rubber mat?
    Yes, I could look into that.

Quote Originally Posted by YNWaN View Post
    To be honest, I would say that your TT is an economy too far; no amount of mat experimentation will overcome its inherent limitations.
    You would perhaps call it a mullet of a turntable.
    But then that should go well with my mullet of a system.

But I've recently owned a standard Techie 1210, and the Pioneer is certainly comparable with that in terms of sound quality.
    And David Price likes it, too. http://twitpic.com/duwnc

I'm Keith.

I've been playing with various mats underneath my Reso-mat and, despite the ringy Lenco platter, I still much prefer to use mine directly on the platter. My Lenco's platter does have some additional damping in the form of 3 large rubber 'O' rings around its periphery.
    Keith
    Analogue: Lenco L75 with 'PTP5' top plate in heavy birch ply plinth/re-wired Rega RB300/SAE 1000e HOMC Cartridge/Trans-Fi Reso-Mat/Moth RCM
    Files: Voyage MPD/Custom PC/Supra USB/Beresford ASYNCH-1/Beresford TOSlink cable
    CDP: Inca Katana SE
    DAC: Beresford Caiman MkII (LiPo Battery powered)
    Pre-Amp: Croft Micro 25 Power-Amp: Croft Series 7
    Speakers: DIY Frugel-Horn Mk3 ('FH3') + REL Strata subwoofer
    Headphones: Beyer Dynamics DT990 Pro (250 ohm)/Schiit Asgard Headphone Amp
    Cables - Interconnects: Mark Grant G1000HD Speaker Cables: Van Damme Blue
    Mains: Belkin PF30/Mark Grant DSP2.5 & DSP1.0 Rack: Target

Office System: HP Win8 Laptop/JRiver/MF V-Link2/Beresford Bushmaster MkII/Topping TP20 Mk2/Mission 771e
    Bedroom System: Raspberry Pi/Raspbrian + MPD/HiFiBerry DAC/Topping TP20 Mk2/Mission 760i or DIY Hybrid Valve-MOSFET Headphone amp + Sennheiser HD595

Gallery

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast