• Hmmmm very interesting

4 26.67%
  • This is awesome where can i get more

1 6.67%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: ALBUM CLUB 06.12.2011 Galactic (Ya-Ka-May) 2010

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Lol! 'Speaks His Mind' is also ok, but I'm afraid that this sort of stuff isn't really my scene. I think I'd go with Paul's summary of the album:

There are 3 or 4 pretty listenable tracks and many that are banal rap/funk rubbish.
    Ok, change my vote to a 2! It's the banal rap/funk rubbish (as you put it) that badly lets it down, IMO.

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

Btw, how do you get the browser data in order to post Spotify links to specific albums?

I'd like to link to the album 'La Peste' by Alabama 3, which is similar in style to what Mike has offered up for our, erm, 'delectation', but for me is eons more tuneful and groovy. Their stuff is a bit like the Fun Lovin' Criminals, but darker and deeper in tone.

Check out the awesome bass line in 'Cocaine (killed my community)' and 'Woke Up This Morning', the theme tune for the TV gangster series, 'The Sopranos'!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

MartinT Guest

Hi Marco

Call up the album you require on Spotify (make sure nothing else is showing, e.g. other albums as a result of a search), then right-click on the album name and select Copy HTTP Link. Now you can paste it in AoS as a link in the normal way.

I'm Dave.

I too struggled with the vocals in places but quite liked the funky punch from the horns.

Wouldn't buy it though.
    In - Tweaked Lenco GL75, Linn Ittok, Ortofon Cadenza Black
    Through - Croft Micro 25 RS LS, power R monoblocks, RIAA R. Ortofon ST-80 SE SUT.
    Along - Tellurium Q Ultra Black cables
    Out - Harbeth SHL5 Plus XD's

Street photography

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by MartinT View Post
    Hi Marco

Call up the album you require on Spotify (make sure nothing else is showing, e.g. other albums as a result of a search), then right-click on the album name and select Copy HTTP Link. Now you can paste it in AoS as a link in the normal way.
    Cheers, mate! As an example of a slightly similar style of music that I'd consider as more acceptable than Galactic, check it out. For the two 'bass monster' tracks recommended, keep them for your big rig!

http://open.spotify.com/album/2uLuSUZOoWjhUgtt3v5D65

Marco.

P.S Next question, who do you stop those bloody annoying adverts on Spotify spoiling the music at regular intervals?
    Main System

I'm Mike.

Hmmmm I can sort of see where you're coming from with regards to a couple of the tracks marco, the 1st track "friends of science" I would say was the weakest on the album, the other banal funk crap as you put it grows on you, I suppose the reason the styles are all over the place is that they are an instrumental group who ALWAYS have guest performers play or sing on their tracks.
    Last edited by Jac Hawk; 07-12-2011 at 20:08.

As the late Colonel Sanders once said
    "I'm too drunk to taste this chicken!!"

I'm Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Cheers, mate! As an example of a slightly similar style of music that I'd consider as more acceptable than Galactic, check it out. For the two 'bass monster' tracks recommended, keep them for your big rig!

http://open.spotify.com/album/2uLuSUZOoWjhUgtt3v5D65

Marco.

P.S Next question, who do you stop those bloody annoying adverts on Spotify spoiling the music at regular intervals?
    'Cocaine (Killed My Community') - not much better IMHO except to test your bass capabilities.

To get rid of the 'bloody annoying adverts' Marco you've got to fork out money for the premium service. It's free as long as you put up with the ads. That's how Spotify make money from 'free' customers. Presumably they make more from the ads than the royalties paid for tracks played.

PS It's playing the next track now - much better !

Hi Mike,

Hmmmm I can sort of see where you're coming from with regards to a couple of the tracks marco, the 1st track "friends of science" I would say was the weakest on the album, the other banal funk crap as you put it grows on you...
    Aye, like an unwanted rash!

Btw, that was Paul's description, not mine... Seriously though, I understand what you mean and also agree that 'Friends of Science' is one of the weakest tracks (why do bands so often put the weakest tracks at the beginning of an album? ), but for me the worst track of all is 'Do it Again', which is just HORRIBLE!!

Unless of course you're 17 and driving a pimped-up Fiesta around the streets of your local town, acting like an arse, with blacked-out windows and your 'bitch' beside you, playing that shit at deafening levels, with a sub housed in the boot, so all outsiders can hear is 'boom, boom, bloody boom'!!

Anyway, what do you think of Alabama 3? You probably hate it!!

Marco.
    Main System

I'm John.

I think I’m going to buy this

I’m a bit surprised at your reaction Marco. You’ve usually got a very wide taste and while I can see the Hip Hop aspect of the album may irritate some of the elderly here you obviously like Alabama 3, La Pesta and Fun Loving Criminals. I’m a bit surprised this does your head in
    How can you not like Heart Of Steel
    I’ll vote once I’ve got rid of the feckin adverts and listened at the proper bit rate and frequency
    Last edited by Welder; 07-12-2011 at 13:53.
    Single spur balanced Mains. Self built music server with 3 seperate linear PSU, Intel i5, 16 GB RAM no hard drive (various Linux OS). Benchmark Dac2 HGC, single ended XLR interconnects/Belkin cable. Exposure 21RC Pre, Super 18 Power (recap & modified). Modded World Audio HD83 HP amp. Hand built Monitors with external crossovers , Volt 250 bass & ABR, Scanspeak 13M8621 Mid & Scanspeak D2905/9300 Hi. HD595 & Beyer 880 (600 ohm) cans.

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.
    -Bertrand Russel

John.

I'm Keith.

I'll give this a proper listen later, but must admit it isn't sounding too promising so far...
    Keith
    Analogue: Lenco L75 with 'PTP5' top plate in heavy birch ply plinth/re-wired Rega RB300/SAE 1000e HOMC Cartridge/Trans-Fi Reso-Mat/Moth RCM
    Files: Voyage MPD/Custom PC/Supra USB/Beresford ASYNCH-1/Beresford TOSlink cable
    CDP: Inca Katana SE
    DAC: Beresford Caiman MkII (LiPo Battery powered)
    Pre-Amp: Croft Micro 25 Power-Amp: Croft Series 7
    Speakers: DIY Frugel-Horn Mk3 ('FH3') + REL Strata subwoofer
    Headphones: Beyer Dynamics DT990 Pro (250 ohm)/Schiit Asgard Headphone Amp
    Cables - Interconnects: Mark Grant G1000HD Speaker Cables: Van Damme Blue
    Mains: Belkin PF30/Mark Grant DSP2.5 & DSP1.0 Rack: Target

Office System: HP Win8 Laptop/JRiver/MF V-Link2/Beresford Bushmaster MkII/Topping TP20 Mk2/Mission 771e
    Bedroom System: Raspberry Pi/Raspbrian + MPD/HiFiBerry DAC/Topping TP20 Mk2/Mission 760i or DIY Hybrid Valve-MOSFET Headphone amp + Sennheiser HD595

Gallery

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast