• Hmmmm very interesting

4 26.67%
  • This is awesome where can i get more

1 6.67%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: ALBUM CLUB 06.12.2011 Galactic (Ya-Ka-May) 2010

I'm John.

I would have bought this album just for Heart Of Steel. I just love Irma Thomas’s vocals.
    I think Galactic would be a great band to see live. If they get down my way they’re on my list.
    The album, well its interesting; not particularly original, but a good go at a difficult mix of styles.
    I don’t like it all, but what I do like, I like a lot.
    4 out of 5 from me purely on the basis that I bought it and I cant say that about any other album features so far.
    Single spur balanced Mains. Self built music server with 3 seperate linear PSU, Intel i5, 16 GB RAM no hard drive (various Linux OS). Benchmark Dac2 HGC, single ended XLR interconnects/Belkin cable. Exposure 21RC Pre, Super 18 Power (recap & modified). Modded World Audio HD83 HP amp. Hand built Monitors with external crossovers , Volt 250 bass & ABR, Scanspeak 13M8621 Mid & Scanspeak D2905/9300 Hi. HD595 & Beyer 880 (600 ohm) cans.

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.
    -Bertrand Russel

John.

I'm ChrisB.

No, I'm afraid it didn't really do it for me in the end, this one. It did get better in the middle and I stand by my earlier comment about the rhythm section. It was better when played quite loudly, but the upshot was that the stronger tracks were badly overshadowed by the rest. So it was a ho-hum for my vote.
    However, I saw Trombone Shorty playing support at a Jeff Beck gig earlier this year and was impressed!

I'm Keith.

I actually didn't dislike this as much as I thought I would.

Had it all been instrumental without the rap I'd have probably liked it more - I can't do with all this muthafukkin' stuff - but some of the other tracks were OK. 3/5
    Keith
    Analogue: Lenco L75 with 'PTP5' top plate in heavy birch ply plinth/re-wired Rega RB300/SAE 1000e HOMC Cartridge/Trans-Fi Reso-Mat/Moth RCM
    Files: Voyage MPD/Custom PC/Supra USB/Beresford ASYNCH-1/Beresford TOSlink cable
    CDP: Inca Katana SE
    DAC: Beresford Caiman MkII (LiPo Battery powered)
    Pre-Amp: Croft Micro 25 Power-Amp: Croft Series 7
    Speakers: DIY Frugel-Horn Mk3 ('FH3') + REL Strata subwoofer
    Headphones: Beyer Dynamics DT990 Pro (250 ohm)/Schiit Asgard Headphone Amp
    Cables - Interconnects: Mark Grant G1000HD Speaker Cables: Van Damme Blue
    Mains: Belkin PF30/Mark Grant DSP2.5 & DSP1.0 Rack: Target

Office System: HP Win8 Laptop/JRiver/MF V-Link2/Beresford Bushmaster MkII/Topping TP20 Mk2/Mission 771e
    Bedroom System: Raspberry Pi/Raspbrian + MPD/HiFiBerry DAC/Topping TP20 Mk2/Mission 760i or DIY Hybrid Valve-MOSFET Headphone amp + Sennheiser HD595

Gallery

I'm Mike.

Keith that would have been my only criticisms about the album, there was no need for all the mothafukin

As the late Colonel Sanders once said
    "I'm too drunk to taste this chicken!!"

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

I have to say that, although this album wasn't my cup of tea, it was an excellent selection, from the point of view of getting people talking, and introducing folk to an interesting style of music many here wouldn't likely have heard (which is what the album club is, or should be, all about), so thanks for that, Mikey!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Mike.

Cheers for that marco

As the late Colonel Sanders once said
    "I'm too drunk to taste this chicken!!"

I'm Steve.

this is not really the tyoe of stuff I can relax to and so for me at least I would not be seeking it out, but I can see why some here would enjoy it.
    They swim... the mark of Satan is upon them. They must hang.

FLAC / WDTV Live / Cambridge Audio / Tannoy VX12

I'm Rich.

Now I'm all spotified I can catch up on the old album club suggestions I missed, this gets a 'hmmmm, very interesting' from me. Currently listening on the spare room system. Dont mind it it all, in fact its quite good for motivating the brain into getting some work done at this late hour!
    One of these days... I'm going to cut you into little pieces.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234