+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Could this be the new Killer, reasonably priced DAC?

I'm Bob.

Quote Originally Posted by oldson View Post
    what happened to this thread?
    I forgot about it!

But - the Octave is doing fantastically well. It produces a deep, spacious, smooth sound free of any nasty digital edge and I'm dead pleased I bought it.

I do, however, see Metrum now do a version with 16 DAC chips, called, not unreasonable, the Hex. I would really like to hear this, but price-wise it's in a different league . .

I'm Paul.

I forgot about it too! It has been a busy year for various reasons.

As Bob says the Metrum sonic signature is very good out of the box. My unit is the Quad Dac but Bob’s description of the Octave sonic signature also fits the Quad overall. I cannot comment on the differences between the Quad and the Octave, as I have not tried the Quad and the Octave side by side with the same power supplies.

I have completely replaced all the three terminal regulators (LM317s, LM337 and some smaller surface mount types of similar performance) with my high speed shunt regulators. I have also tried 50VA and 250VA custom built mains transformers with the same construction specification as the ones I use in the SR7 power supplies. As expected there were improvements at every stage of the power supply upgrade.

I will post details of the upgrades and the costs in my AoS trade thread when I have some spare time later.

Regards
    Paul
    Last edited by Paul Hynes; 08-11-2012 at 14:38.
    Paul Hynes Design
    paulhynesdesign.com
    High Performance Power Supply upgrades
    http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?t=16655

I'm Bob.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Hynes View Post
    As Bob says the Metrum sonic signature is very good out of the box. My unit is the Quad Dac but Bob’s description of the Octave sonic signature also fits the Quad overall. I cannot comment on the differences between the Quad and the Octave, as I have not tried the Octave.
    . . . and your power supply I'm using with my SB Touch ups the quality even more, Paul.

I'm Paul.

Excellent news Bob, pleased you like the power supply.

I missed a bit out in my previous post. I have tried the Octave just not compared it with the stock Quad as this was modified early last year and it has gone to ACS Ltd to be included in their upgrade service. I have edited the post accordingly.

Regards
    Paul
    Paul Hynes Design
    paulhynesdesign.com
    High Performance Power Supply upgrades
    http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?t=16655

I'm gordan.

paul, would you care to compare these two DACs, fully beefed up by yourself?
    Gordan.
    Speakers: Oris Swing MkII
    Amps: Thomas Mayer 300b/ Hiraga La Maison de L'Audiophile 20
    Preamp: Silver AVC by eng. Ferenc Lazar
    Phono Preamp: Shishido LCR by Solaja Audio
    Decks: Garrard 301 Martin Bastin reworked/plinthed with Fidelity Research FR64fx
    Garrard 401 in eng Ferenc Lazar solid wenge plinth with SME 3012/2
    Cartridges: SPU Spirit/ Koetsu Black revisited by eng. Salai/ Miyajima Shilabe
    Step Up Transformers: Tango MCT 999/ Ortofon T-5000/ Lumiere SUT
    Digital: Shigaclone by eng. Ferenc Lazar with Lampizator Amber II
    Wires: of sufficient length

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123