+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Could this be the new Killer, reasonably priced DAC?

I'm Hugo.

Default Could this be the new Killer, reasonably priced DAC?

http://www.nosminidac.nl/Octave_English.html

I happened upon the new Metrum Acoustics Octave DAC which is produced in Holland and sells for a very reasonable €668. Interestingly, it does not use the normal audiophile DAC chips, employing "industrial" ones instead. A review is already out on 6 Moons, but I shall look forward to reading the forthcoming HiFi Critic review. Martin Colloms has put a little taster on the HiFi Critic forum, stating:

The Metrum Octave DAC (coming issue ) provoked laughter when we connected it up , it was so light that when audiophile cables were fitted, it fell off the shelf.

And we laughed again when we listened to it , but then for all the right reasons
    This is clearly not a "fanfare" product like the Young DAC or Audiolab MDAC, but that's probably a good thing.

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Looks interesting.

I'm Peter.

The Octave is soon to be available, somebody posted on pfm, I think, about this about 18months to 2 years ago, when only the Dual (discontinued, by the look of it) and Quad models were available. The Quad comes in at about 450€ with psu.

Been on my radar for some time, but ... Do I need another dac ?

No, methinks.
    Last edited by Peter Stockwell; 07-12-2011 at 02:20.
    Intel NUC/Chevron Audio NDF16 dac/Amptastic Mini-1/Audium Comp 5
    Mains Block: Custom-HiFi-Cables PowerBlack Distribution Block (with super conditioner).
    Connected with Reference Fidelity Components Super Neptunes and Speaker Cables.
    Powered by Custom-HiFi-Cables DC2 psus

I'm Simon.

Looks funky I don't suppose there's much. Chance of a demo anywhere.

Location: North Cambs UK, Earth, Sol, Orion - Cygnus arm of galaxy

I'm MadeOfDeadGiantStarsThatExplodedEonsAgo.

Interesting Paralleling transistors can reduce the noise floor in such things as an MC head amp. If I remember right 8 transistors in parallel lowers the noise floor by 6Db or more, I'd expect the same or similar with ICs which in theory should result in rather good performance. The fact that they are fast just adds to the to the melee.
    Bests, Mark

"We must believe in free will. We have no choice" Isaac Bashevis Singer

I'm Bob.

A bit of a punt, unheard - but I've just ordered an Octave. About 6 weeks delivery, so something to look forward to in the New Year

I'm Rob.

Blimey! When can I come and have a listen
    Buy Bose...And get your parking validated!.

https://youtu.be/ZCBe7-6rw4M

No Highs...No Lows....It Must Be Bose!

I'm Bob.

Quote Originally Posted by Puffin View Post
    Blimey! When can I come and have a listen
    Send me a PM mid January. Will hopefully have a) arrived, and b) had a few hours under its belt by then

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

I think an Inca-Yellow Morris Minor is even more exciting

Seriously, I hope this thing is great, but the review linked to on their site is 90% waffle and less than 10% actual info..
    Last edited by DSJR; 09-12-2011 at 14:02.
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm John.

I quite interested in this. I like the theory of NOS Dacs but I’ve yet to hear one that doesn’t sound like a rather noisy valve amp in soft clipping mode.

On a side note, I read the 6 off world review and I have to ask, does anyone have a feckin clue about what the guy is on about? Really, way to write a few paragraphs of totally meaningless bollocks

Oh, Dave got there first.
    Single spur balanced Mains. Self built music server with 3 seperate linear PSU, Intel i5, 16 GB RAM no hard drive (various Linux OS). Benchmark Dac2 HGC, single ended XLR interconnects/Belkin cable. Exposure 21RC Pre, Super 18 Power (recap & modified). Modded World Audio HD83 HP amp. Hand built Monitors with external crossovers , Volt 250 bass & ABR, Scanspeak 13M8621 Mid & Scanspeak D2905/9300 Hi. HD595 & Beyer 880 (600 ohm) cans.

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.
    -Bertrand Russel

John.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast