+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Benz Micro Wood SL tracking weight

I'm Andy.

Default Benz Micro Wood SL tracking weight

Can anybody advise the best tracking weight for the Benz Micro Wood SL?

It is being used with a SME V on an Orbe.

Recommended is between 1-6 and 1.9g

I'm John.

Try experimenting with different values between the 'recommended' downforce guide. You should then get a tracking weight that sounds best in your system. It's also worth playing with VTA adjustment to reach the best possible compromise.

John
    Sent by me using an appendage

SME Model 15/V tonearm, Lyra Dorian, EAR Phono Box.

Luxman 509X amp.

PMC 25 23i speakers.

Innuos/Roon/Qobuz/I-Pad. Oppo UDP-205.

Cables by Kimber, Yannis and Audioquest.

Audioquest Niagara. Tube Distinctions Mains power filter. Project RCM. Zerostat.

I'm Hugo.

Before I managed to snap its cantilever off, I ran my Benz Glider SL at 1.8g to good effect, with the arm set very slightly "tail up". I've had an enticing trade-in offer for a new Wood SL and admit to being tempted, even though I've just bought a Dynavector DV20-X2.

I'm Andy.

Quote Originally Posted by Shuggie View Post
    Before I managed to snap its cantilever off, I ran my Benz Glider SL at 1.8g to good effect, with the arm set very slightly "tail up". I've had an enticing trade-in offer for a new Wood SL and admit to being tempted, even though I've just bought a Dynavector DV20-X2.
    Thanks for the reply.

You refer to having a slight 'tail up' on the arm? What sort of 'tail up' are we talking about 1 to 2 mm difference in height level difference between the front and rear of the arm or just a subtle difference?

I'm Hugo.

Quote Originally Posted by sprint View Post
    Thanks for the reply.

You refer to having a slight 'tail up' on the arm? What sort of 'tail up' are we talking about 1 to 2 mm difference in height level difference between the front and rear of the arm or just a subtle difference?
    About 3mm, I reckon, but there's no hard rule. It's best to do this by ear - accepted wisdom is that tail down is usually best more most cartridges, but I find that overall definition and musical flow is better slightly "tail up", and not just with the Benz. My method for working out the best VTA is to set the headshell absolutely level with a small circular spirit level (a good quality item like the ones sold by Audio Origami) and using an LP of normal thickness (eg what's normal for your collection), then adjust by 1mm at a time up or down until it sounds right, which means musically right more than just bass or treble details. If you use the spirit level method, don't forget to adjust the tracking weight to compensate for the added mass sitting on the headshell. All of this should be really easy with the SME.

I'm Andy.

About 3mm, I reckon, but there's no hard rule. It's best to do this by ear - accepted wisdom is that tail down is usually best more most cartridges, but I find that overall definition and musical flow is better slightly "tail up", and not just with the Benz. My method for working out the best VTA is to set the headshell absolutely level with a small circular spirit level (a good quality item like the ones sold by Audio Origami) and using an LP of normal thickness (eg what's normal for your collection), then adjust by 1mm at a time up or down until it sounds right, which means musically right more than just bass or treble details. If you use the spirit level method, don't forget to adjust the tracking weight to compensate for the added mass sitting on the headshell. All of this should be really easy with the SME.
    Thanks for the advice.

Since I have a SME V it should be a fairly easy exercise to try, though I am surprised at the level of 'tail up' you have used, 3mm seems high but I guess it's all relative your own individual tastes.

Do you find that you have to go around checking and re-setting any of the other arm parameters once you start playing around with the arm height?

Since the cartridge and deck are new and the SME V has been fully refurbished it would make sense to put in a few hours to bed the system in before playing around. But at the moment with the arm more or less parallel I do not find the higher frequencies as detailed and with the sort of presence I would expect or like to hear, but as indicated the system has only been run for a few hours to date.

I'm Hugo.

Do remember that VTA is not simply a matter of how level the arm is - quite small adjustments in tracking force will introduce much greater VTA variations than a few millimetres at the arm post, depending on the vertical compliance of the cartridge, of course. That's why it's so important to do this by ear; also why a digital stylus pressure gauge is so useful for totally consistent results. There's not much to adjust on my Audio Note arm, so I don't usually fiddle around too much once the VTA is set.

If you are finding the high frequencies not to be as lively as you prefer, a slightly tail up arm attitude may help to address this, particularly if you are finding bass details to be a bit woolly too. The Benz SL is nicely balanced, but not certainly not short of top end detail, so once it's run in for 40 hours or so, a bit of adjustment will probably help.

Out of interest, what tonearm cable are you using with the SME? There are some good ones out there, ranging from Audio Origami's up to Oyaide etc.

I'm Andy.

Do remember that VTA is not simply a matter of how level the arm is - quite small adjustments in tracking force will introduce much greater VTA variations than a few millimetres at the arm post, depending on the vertical compliance of the cartridge, of course. That's why it's so important to do this by ear; also why a digital stylus pressure gauge is so useful for totally consistent results. There's not much to adjust on my Audio Note arm, so I don't usually fiddle around too much once the VTA is set.

If you are finding the high frequencies not to be as lively as you prefer, a slightly tail up arm attitude may help to address this, particularly if you are finding bass details to be a bit woolly too. The Benz SL is nicely balanced, but not certainly not short of top end detail, so once it's run in for 40 hours or so, a bit of adjustment will probably help.

Out of interest, what tonearm cable are you using with the SME? There are some good ones out there, ranging from Audio Origami's up to Oyaide etc.
    I am using the standard SME one. As this my first SME arm I have nothing to go on so decided to initially stick with the standard SME offering. I have read a lot of complaints about their cable but do put some faith in their ability to provide a good cable with their top of the range arm. Perhaps something for the future?

I'm Mike.

As i currently am using the exact same combo, i'll throw in my data;
    Wood SL tracking at 1.75gr and VTA exactly level on a 180gr vinyl, which actually means it should be a couple of millimeters up on most standard records.
    I am having trouble, trying to retreive as good a sound from my digital bits... Not even near, at the moment...
    Regards Mike

I'm Andy.

l will soon be joining the Michell/SME V/Benz Micro fanclub- if the deck ever arrives.
    System; Michell Gyrodec SE/ Orbe Clamp/ Gert Pedersen armboard mod/ HR PSU/ SME V / J7 Tonearm cable/Ortofon Cadenza Black// Jez Arkless Turbo nutter B------ /Trichord Dino+

Amplification and loudspeaker set up is at the moment being split into two groups, comprising the following;

1. Same sources as above; SONY TAF-770ES/SONY CDP761E/Cable Talk 3.1 loudspeakercable/ Harbeth Compact7ES2/ Stands

2. Virtue Audio Sensation M451battery PSU, ClarityCaps upgrade/ Sensation M901/Russian PIO caps with Teflon bypass caps upgrade/ JT Dynamic PSU with various tweaks/ Connex Audio 5N Litz loudspeaker cable, Impulse H6 Loudspeakers.

Me so horny- Impulse H6 Horny

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast