Voters
13. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1 / 10 A pile of Folky Pish

0 0%
  • 2 / 10 Grates my ears.

0 0%
  • 3 / 10 OK but not my cup of tea.

2 15.38%
  • 4 / 10 Liked it but wouldn't listen twice.

0 0%
  • 5 / 10 Worth a second listening.

0 0%
  • 6 / 10 Very Good to excellent in parts.

2 15.38%
  • 7 / 10 Excellent throughout. Would consider purchase.

0 0%
  • 8 / 10 Loved it and would certainly buy.

4 30.77%
  • 9 / 10 Great album that I would include as a favourite.

4 30.77%
  • 10 / 10 Fantastic record and an all time classic album.

1 7.69%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Album Club 30/11/11. Alan Hull, Pipedream 1973.

I'm Paul.

Default Album Club 30/11/11. Alan Hull, Pipedream 1973.

Released in 1973 after the break up of the original Lindisfarne this is by far the late Alan Hull's best Solo Album. This album is full of great songs well played and nicely produced. Mixed and engineered by Roy T Baker. A moderate success at the time it has become widely regarded in subsequent years. BTW the painting used for the cover is 'Le Lampe Philosophique' by R. Magritte.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Pipedream-Al...c&ie=UTF8&qid=

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/Records-/3...p3286.c0.m1538

http://open.spotify.com/album/6sMr8UHgaomsSIrMzfGshY

Some more information.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alan_Hull

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pipedream_%28album%29
    Last edited by Audioman; 01-12-2011 at 09:45.

I'm ChrisB.

This is an interesting choice for me, Paul. I've never heard this album, but have been meaning to make the effort to seek it out.
    About 5 or 6 years ago I came across it at a car boot sale on the stall of someone who always had an interesting selection of records & whom I'd often bought from in the past. I bought a few albums & moved on. Later, I thought back to this record & realised that it was odd that in all the years of flicking through 100's of 1000's of mostly second-hand records, I'd never, ever seen it before. I'd have known because it's a rather distinctive sleeve. I went back the next week to see if it was still available, but the seller wasn't there.
    Since then, I've seen it quite a few times but never bought it for one reason or another - usually that the condition put the record beyond use. So now, you've given me a great reason to finally hear it.
    So thanks a lot & I'll be back to report my verdict!

I'm Nobody.

I'm Paul.

Interesting. Good but short cover. Made before Hull Solo version as Affinity split in 1971 ? Alan did use material he wrote pre Lindisfarne on his albums. I believe he wrote most of his best stuff during a period working as a Psychiatric Nurse in the late 60's.

I'm DAVE.

Great LP, worth it just for the superb...."I Hate To See You Cry"

Cheers,

Dave

I'm Dave.

Great Choice Paul, lovely piece of songwriting. I had never heard of Alan Hull or this album before.

I really enjoyed listening to it and I will be seeking out a vinyl copy asap.

A well deserved 9/10...
    In - Tweaked Lenco GL75, Linn Ittok, Ortofon Cadenza Black
    Through - Croft Micro 25 RS LS, power R monoblocks, RIAA R. Ortofon ST-80 SE SUT.
    Along - Tellurium Q Ultra Black cables
    Out - Harbeth SHL5 Plus XD's

Street photography

Dave

I'm the'greatunwashed'.

This is a very interesting one for me, I have no idea what it's going to be like, but I do remember the album cover. I shall look forward to it
    "People will hear what you tell them to hear" - Thomas Edison

I'm Barry.

Looking forward to hearing this, one of those famous album covers that I'd seen many a time but never got round to investigating.

I'm Nobody.

Quote Originally Posted by Audioman View Post
    Interesting. Good but short cover. Made before Hull Solo version as Affinity split in 1971 ?
    Tis an Hull song..

However Affinity still continued after Linda Hoyle & Lynton Naiff departed in early 1971... with Vivienne McAuliffe on vocals (Ex Principle Edwards Magic Theatre) & Dave Watts on Keyz
    Last edited by Rare Bird; 04-12-2011 at 07:05.

I'm John.

Rather a surprise this one. I wasn’t expecting to like it much given I wasn’t a Lindisfarne fan.
    I had a quick listen on Spotty and then decided to acquire the album.
    Overall I’ve enjoyed listening to this.
    There are a couple of duff tracks but overall I thought I found it amusing in places and well conceived.
    A couple of things that initially irritated me slightly; there are a couple of tracks were he sounds very Dylanish. Strangely after the first listen this didn’t bother me. There are also a few places where he attempts to sing way outside his capability and runs out of both breath and range.
    I think I’ll keep this and will probably listen to some of the tracks again.
    I don’t know about excellent throughout but its worth 7 out of 10 I think.
    Single spur balanced Mains. Self built music server with 3 seperate linear PSU, Intel i5, 16 GB RAM no hard drive (various Linux OS). Benchmark Dac2 HGC, single ended XLR interconnects/Belkin cable. Exposure 21RC Pre, Super 18 Power (recap & modified). Modded World Audio HD83 HP amp. Hand built Monitors with external crossovers , Volt 250 bass & ABR, Scanspeak 13M8621 Mid & Scanspeak D2905/9300 Hi. HD595 & Beyer 880 (600 ohm) cans.

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.
    -Bertrand Russel

John.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast