+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: A few Changes

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I'm Ben.

Default A few Changes

I thought that I would post a few photos of my system since I have changed things recently.

This is how its set up at present

The main changes are that I am now using a a pair of speakers I made myself, something I have been thinking of doing for ages. I cant take any real credit for them because I copied a design put forward by another member on here, Steve (activexp). They use a 100mm full range driver and a mission 160mm woofer within a bass reflex cabinet. Considering what they cost for me to make them I am really happy with how they sound (Steve sells the kit so if you fancy a simple and great sounding DIY speaker project give him a shout).

Due to a lack of tools / garage and "know how" I finished them in a vinyl wrap which im not sure looks perfect but will do for now. They were only ever intended as a cheap entry into DIY speakers for me and since they have performed really well and have been enjoyable to build I am now thinking of building another project next year.

The other area which has seen a recent change is my turntable, I recently had a new cartridge fitted - Goldgring 2500. To say I am happy with it is an understatement. It sounds slightly smoother and warmer than my old 2m blue but seems to reveal so much more detail.

I recently popped my deck back to SRM Tech as it had developed a slight problem with the motor (all fixed under warranty) and whilst there Stuart carried out their sub platter upgrade for me. I cant fault SRM Tech (STuart is very helpfull and obviously loves what he does and the products he makes) and really love this deck, I also bought the matching cover for it at the same time which I think really sets it off well.

Last edited by Zoidburg; 30-11-2011 at 17:55.
    Technics SL1210 with
    SME IV Arm & AT OC9XML,
    Firebottle modded Tron Convergence Phono Stage,
    Bluesound Node 2i, Technics SL DZ 1200 CD
    Denon PMA1700ne amp
    Yamaha NS1000M Speakers.

I'm gone.

Nice!

I like those SRM tt's - a fast and agile sound. Very engaging.
    Interesting comments about the Goldring 2500 cart - 'word on the street' is of a bright sound, but that is obviously not what you are hearing.

Interesting DIY speakers, too - they look fine in the photos!
    You say fullrange drivers ... but obviously (?) they don't do the bass thing?
    What drivers are they?
    I must admit I am very wary of DIY speakers - some folks think you can just stuff some drivers in a box and they'll get fab sound. I've heard some really awful things in my time. But it sounds like you've done the job properly by following an established design.
    Last edited by jandl100; 03-12-2011 at 10:41.

I'm Ben.

Quote Originally Posted by jandl100 View Post
    Nice!

I like those SRM tt's - a fast and agile sound. Very engaging.
    Interesting comments about the Goldring 2500 cart - 'word on the street' is of a bright sound, but that is obviously not what you are hearing.

Interesting DIY speakers, too - they look fine in the photos!
    You say fullrange drivers ... but obviously (?) they don't do the bass thing?
    What drivers are they?
    I must admit I am very wary of DIY speakers - some folks think you can just stuff some drivers in a box and they'll get fab sound. I've heard some really awful things in my time. But it sounds like you've done the job properly by following an established design.
    They are actually tang band 100mm drivers, you can see more details on steves website, he had thread about them
    in the classifieds section a while ago I think.

I'm glad there's some love on here for SRM, I really love the sound and the customer service side of things is always good.
    Technics SL1210 with
    SME IV Arm & AT OC9XML,
    Denon PMA1700ne amp
    Yamaha NS1000M Speakers.

I'm Ben.

Hello all,

Well seeing as its been ages since I last posted any pictures of my system I've decided to add a few pix of things. I think the system has come a long way in that time (its certainly sounding better to me than it ever has).

So anyway here's things as they currently stand. I've just had my Yaqin MC10L back after a service and it sounds pretty good. It was bought about 6 months ago as a replacement for another Chinese valve amp and it proved to be a big improvement. However not long after getting it it blew a fuse and was withdrawn from service (on a whim I then bought a Consonance Cyber signature amp which I am over the moon with and will be staying with me for the foreseeable future). The Yaqin will be up for sale shortly I think (its been fully serviced, checked over and had a bucking tranny cunningly fitted inside one of its rear casings by Mike at MPA Services in Bolton :-) )

I also changed my speakers to the IPLs just before Christmas and love them. They replaced a pair of MA RS8 which sounded harsh in comparison. These seems to have far more heft to them but also a lovely shimmering treble as well and are very non fatiguing over long listening periods.

The rest of the system in a bit more detail

And finally the Consonance with uprated valves

For some reason my TV looks like its scratched but its not thankfully. Plans for the future? Not much at present but ideally a DAC upgrade at some point maybe.

Anyway cheers for looking I'm off back to the sofa for some more listening.
    Last edited by Zoidburg; 05-04-2014 at 18:37.
    Technics SL1210 with
    SME IV Arm & AT OC9XML,
    Denon PMA1700ne amp
    Yamaha NS1000M Speakers.

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Looks like a Fostex full ranger?

I'm ILOB.

I notice a new speaker build they look nice
    Loves anything from Pain of Salvation to Jeff Buckley to Django to Sarasate to Surinder Sandhu to Shawn Lane to Nick Drake to Rush to Beth Hart to Kate Bush to Rodrigo Y Gabriela to The Hellecasters to Dark Sanctury to Ben Harper to Karicus to Dream Theater to Zero Hour to Al DiMeola to Larry Carlton to Derek Trucks to Govt Mule to?

Humour: One of the few things worth taking seriously

I'm Ben.

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    I notice a new speaker build they look nice
    Thanks! I cant claim to have built them, I bought them off a guy on the wam who was their 2nd owner. They are finished to a very high standard though and cost me almost next to nothing really.
    Technics SL1210 with
    SME IV Arm & AT OC9XML,
    Denon PMA1700ne amp
    Yamaha NS1000M Speakers.

I'm Martin.

Those speakers look a million dollars.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Ben.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Those speakers look a million dollars.
    Thanks for the comments Martin, I could never have produced something as good as them as my DIY is average at best!
    Technics SL1210 with
    SME IV Arm & AT OC9XML,
    Denon PMA1700ne amp
    Yamaha NS1000M Speakers.

I'm Grant.

Nice to see a SRM in such a nice system Ben; a very underrated TT...
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast