+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Beginners thread or sub-forum?

I'm Barry.

Default Beginners thread or sub-forum?

Hello all,

Most of the posters here are very experienced and knowledgeable. I wonder if we should have a thread or sub-forum for beginners? I hate the term "high -end" becaus it sounds snooty, and I think all the details and the prices can intimidate those who would otherwise be good candiddates as enthusiats/music fans. If we could all only own say, a 1000-2500 pound system what would we own? how would we prioritize?

Other possible "beginner" questions: How to set up and isolate a turntable properly; How to site equipment for best sound/ to avoid hum, etc., Used vs. New; How important is the turntable relative to electronics, speakers?
    What got me thinking about this is a neighbors interest and contemplation of buying a Bose set-up (just like the previously posted youtube animation).

~Barry

I'm ChrisB.

These are all things that have been suggested as articles for the AoS Library. The Librarians have done a lot of work in getting the thing going and we do our best it to bring it to members' attention. However, we haven't exactly been snowed under with offers from people to write this type of article.

I'm ILOB.

The Libary is a great place for members to write an article that might help new people
    Loves anything from Pain of Salvation to Jeff Buckley to Django to Sarasate to Surinder Sandhu to Shawn Lane to Nick Drake to Rush to Beth Hart to Kate Bush to Rodrigo Y Gabriela to The Hellecasters to Dark Sanctury to Ben Harper to Karicus to Dream Theater to Zero Hour to Al DiMeola to Larry Carlton to Derek Trucks to Govt Mule to?

Humour: One of the few things worth taking seriously

I'm Barry.

Thanks John and Chris (It's so much more fun saying Grand Wazoo). I'll think about it and see if I can come up w/ something helpful for your approval.

Have a great weekend,
    Barry

I'm Craig.

I don't think AOS actually needs a beginners section as the members here (well, most of them!) are not of the variety that snap peoples heads off for asking a simple, possibly naive question, not like a certain other forum I could mention!

Location: North Cambs UK, Earth, Sol, Orion - Cygnus arm of galaxy

I'm MadeOfDeadGiantStarsThatExplodedEonsAgo.

Good point Craig, in fact we probably encourage people to ask questions

Makes sense really as it's all about getting people involved in discussions on here, rather than just browsing some set pieces of info & therefore not participating

The forum is nothing without the members contributions after all...
    Bests, Mark

"We must believe in free will. We have no choice" Isaac Bashevis Singer

I'm Dave.

I wouldn't class myself as a beginner exactly, having owned hi-fi for the past 50 or more years, but I do find that the pace of change in audio equipment, plus the continual finessing of parameters that affect good sound, mean that I'm effectively starting at the beginning every time I want to change something in my system.

So maybe we don't need a beginners' section as such, but enough people like me asking simple questions so the the forum reaches a critical mass of 'beginner' type threads that encourages more people to join and ask more simple questions.

Hope that makes sense - it was alright in my head, but on the page it kinda looks like an Escher painting.

Dave

Location: North Cambs UK, Earth, Sol, Orion - Cygnus arm of galaxy

I'm MadeOfDeadGiantStarsThatExplodedEonsAgo.

Quote Originally Posted by DavefromDorset View Post
    Hope that makes sense - it was alright in my head, but on the page it kinda looks like an Escher painting.

Dave
    Perfect sense in all honesty (from someone who has completed a 1000 piece black & white MC Escher puzzle ).
    Bests, Mark

"We must believe in free will. We have no choice" Isaac Bashevis Singer

I'm ChrisB.

A question leading to an informative (& fairly on-topic) discussion can be distilled down into an article for the Library with a little bit of cutting & pasting. That's kind of how this piece came about, though Barry spent a lot of time on it, I believe, as is reflected in the quality of the final result.

I'm Barry.

Hi Chris,

Thanks for leading to this article by Barry #1, and thanks Barry for a very helpful and informative article with great pics. I'm going to have to spend a little (a lot) of time in the library.

Best,
    Barry

PS - Maybe "Beginners" is the wrong word, but I still think a "Basics - How to get it to sound good (not great) out of the box" type section would be helpful.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast