+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Dodgy SPU quality and a tale of woe with an Ortofon RS-212D...

I'm Deleted.

Well, there's nothing much to expand on, I'm just passing on second hand information. I haven't personally ever had anything to do with the Ortofon cartridges in question (they aren't my thing), but I have been told in the past about misaligned ones in the manner you have described.

Quote Originally Posted by JazzBones View Post
    would it not be feasible to make a claim for all expenses experienced and compensation for breach of contract
    No, it definitely would not.
    Account Deleted

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

No worries, Mark. I just wondered if you'd heard of anything specific

What this has highlighted though, is that there is obviously an inherent quality control problem, which badly needs addressed, so hopefully Ortofon will take note now that it's been brought to their attention.

Regarding the SPU, if you can get hold of (borrow from someone?) some Naim MM boards for your preamp (if that's how your system works for phono), I can let you hear the SPU in your system, via my A23 MC step-up transformer, when I bring my T/T round again.

That is once my new armboard is ready and I get my tonearm and cartridge fixed. As far as the SPU is concerned, you may be surprised at the results

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Deleted.

I've got 322 MM boards (just got to find them - they are probably in my bits box) - I could fit them to either my pre-amp (which has two phono inputs) or my stand-alone phono-stage.

I've done the basic armboard CAD. Unfortunately, the best potential solutions (that currently occur to me) aren't likely to be very cost effective - I will consider it some more.

Actually, looking at it now, a cunning plan does occur to me - and it doesn't require the deck to be disassembled to fit it .
    Last edited by YNWaN; 27-11-2011 at 12:09.
    Account Deleted

Ha - I always enjoy cunning plans!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm ThinkingOfHorns.

Wow! That's bad luck Marco!

I've not heard of an SPU headshell & mounting bayonet coming loose fault before. Hope it gets sorted quickly. I think I would be wanting a brand new SPU TBH.

Unlucky with the tonearm too mate, see you should of bought an FR
    alfie
    Main System: Denon DP-6000 VPI Base/Fidelity Research FR64s/Ortofon SPU Royal GM MKII/Shelter 901/Auditorium 23 SUT/Pure Sound P10/SB Touch or Audio Note CDT & M2Tech Young Dac/BL Audio LP-1/New Audio Frontiers KT66 Legend/Living Voice OBX.
    2nd System: PC/Foobar/E-MU 0404 pci (Modded)/AVI ADM9/Rel Strata II subs.

I'm Deleted.

Quote Originally Posted by alfie2902 View Post
    I've not heard of an SPU headshell & mounting bayonet coming loose fault before.
    It hasn't come loose - the bayonet fitting is glued at the wrong angle.
    Account Deleted

Indeed... That was exactly it.

Instead of the connecting link on the bayonet fitting pointing, smack on, at the 12 o'clock position (as one was looking at it face-on), it had been fixed at '11.57', so consequently when the cartridge was fitted to the arm or sitting on a record, it was 'drooping' down to the left at an angle, resulting in azimuth being out by a good millimetre and a half!

I should hopefully be hearing today when I'm likely to get both back

Marco.
    Main System

I'm Deleted.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    I should hopefully be hearing today when I'm likely to get both back

Marco.
    Hope it's not too long Marco, I know what it's like to be without ones music.
    Account Deleted

Thanks, Mark. Hopefully I'll have good news soon!

Marco.
    Main System

synsei Guest

That totally sucks Marco, I hope Ortofon get you back on track asap.

I'm absolutely stunned the SPU was allowed to leave the factory in that condition. It's disturbing enough that sufficient care wasn't taken during the manufacturing process, however I find it totally unacceptable that the fault wasn't picked up during the QC procedure. It's such an obvious and easily identifiable fault that it raises the question as to whether this particular unit went through QC at all...

Here's hoping Ortofon review their manufacturing and QC procedures accordingly as a matter of urgency. I'd expect a written apology at the very least if this had happened to me.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast