• Over fields and vales I like these tales

0 0%
  • Very pleasent, good songs

5 38.46%
  • Can feel a sonnett coming on, groovy

1 7.69%
  • All most The Whole of the Moon

1 7.69%
  • Great album, best thing I've heard in years.

0 0%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Album Club: 22:11:2011: The Waterboys - An Appointment with Mr Yeats(2011)

I'm Keith.

I'm not going to vote just yet as I've only heard it through twice so far and I think it'll need a couple more listens before I get to form a real opinion. Certainly an interesting listen that I feel will gain more depth on subsequent plays. I recognise some of Yeats' poems - I worked in Ireland for a couple of years and got into their literature, music and history during that very enjoyable time, and it's interesting to hear them anew in this setting.
    Keith
    Analogue: Lenco L75 with 'PTP5' top plate in heavy birch ply plinth/re-wired Rega RB300/SAE 1000e HOMC Cartridge/Trans-Fi Reso-Mat/Moth RCM
    Files: Voyage MPD/Custom PC/Supra USB/Beresford ASYNCH-1/Beresford TOSlink cable
    CDP: Inca Katana SE
    DAC: Beresford Caiman MkII (LiPo Battery powered)
    Pre-Amp: Croft Micro 25 Power-Amp: Croft Series 7
    Speakers: DIY Frugel-Horn Mk3 ('FH3') + REL Strata subwoofer
    Headphones: Beyer Dynamics DT990 Pro (250 ohm)/Schiit Asgard Headphone Amp
    Cables - Interconnects: Mark Grant G1000HD Speaker Cables: Van Damme Blue
    Mains: Belkin PF30/Mark Grant DSP2.5 & DSP1.0 Rack: Target

Office System: HP Win8 Laptop/JRiver/MF V-Link2/Beresford Bushmaster MkII/Topping TP20 Mk2/Mission 771e
    Bedroom System: Raspberry Pi/Raspbrian + MPD/HiFiBerry DAC/Topping TP20 Mk2/Mission 760i or DIY Hybrid Valve-MOSFET Headphone amp + Sennheiser HD595

Gallery

I'm Will.

Quote Originally Posted by Bazil View Post
    Mike Scott is Scottish and yet most of his music is about Ireland , I wonder if he wishes he was Irish and tries to develope an Irish accent? Just a thought.
    Indeed, born in Edinburgh, brought up in Ayr, and spent quite a bit of time in London...plastic paddy would be my thought, especially with his 'affected' singing voice

I quite liked the early days of the Waterboys, but this is more a solo Mike Scott record. I expected to dislike it more, particularly due to Mr Scott's 'celtic' troupe-adore pretensions...but it's not too bad, I'd not buy it but I can certainly see why some would

5/10 for me...begorra!!!
    Cheers, Will

I'm Keith.

Went for 7/10 in the end as there are a couple of songs that am not too keen on, but overall it's very good
    Keith
    Analogue: Lenco L75 with 'PTP5' top plate in heavy birch ply plinth/re-wired Rega RB300/SAE 1000e HOMC Cartridge/Trans-Fi Reso-Mat/Moth RCM
    Files: Voyage MPD/Custom PC/Supra USB/Beresford ASYNCH-1/Beresford TOSlink cable
    CDP: Inca Katana SE
    DAC: Beresford Caiman MkII (LiPo Battery powered)
    Pre-Amp: Croft Micro 25 Power-Amp: Croft Series 7
    Speakers: DIY Frugel-Horn Mk3 ('FH3') + REL Strata subwoofer
    Headphones: Beyer Dynamics DT990 Pro (250 ohm)/Schiit Asgard Headphone Amp
    Cables - Interconnects: Mark Grant G1000HD Speaker Cables: Van Damme Blue
    Mains: Belkin PF30/Mark Grant DSP2.5 & DSP1.0 Rack: Target

Office System: HP Win8 Laptop/JRiver/MF V-Link2/Beresford Bushmaster MkII/Topping TP20 Mk2/Mission 771e
    Bedroom System: Raspberry Pi/Raspbrian + MPD/HiFiBerry DAC/Topping TP20 Mk2/Mission 760i or DIY Hybrid Valve-MOSFET Headphone amp + Sennheiser HD595

Gallery

I'm Paul.

Enjoyable listen and quite impressed as I was never that keen on The Waterboys. The musical arrangements to poetry work very well except on a couple of tracks. Overall I have to give this a 7/10.

I'm ChrisB.

Quote Originally Posted by WAD62 View Post
    Indeed, born in Edinburgh, brought up in Ayr, and spent quite a bit of time in London...plastic paddy would be my thought, especially with his 'affected' singing voice
    Between about 1986 & 1991 he was based in Ireland - 'Fisherman's Blues' & 'Room To Roam' were both recorded there.

I'm Will.

Quote Originally Posted by The Grand Wazoo View Post
    Between about 1986 & 1991 he was based in Ireland - 'Fisherman's Blues' & 'Room To Roam' were both recorded there.
    Between '86 & '91 I was based in New York, but there's no way I acquired any semblance of an American accent

However plenty of my colleagues did, probably because they wanted to...
    Cheers, Will

I'm ChrisB.

Quote Originally Posted by WAD62 View Post
    Between '86 & '91 I was based in New York, but there's no way I acquired any semblance of an American accent
    I thought we were discussing the Irish influence on the music.
    Funny, but I don't hear Irish in his accent. Maybe I'd better take another listen.

MartinT Guest

Well I completely missed this the first time around. The Waterboys were an unknown for me and I've enjoyed listening to this album. Reminds me of Pink Floyd's The Wall in places. 8/10.

I'm Simon.

the three albums are good, FB is a return to form and RTR continues the theme. i find the rest of there stuff patchy. Defo better when it when Mike and karl. Seen them quite a few times over the years. First heard them on Annie Nightingale show on t'radio.
    Kuzma Stabi/S 12", (LP12-bastard) DC motor and optical tacho psu, Benz LP, Paradise (phonostage). MB-Pro, Brooklyn dac and psu, Bruno Putzeys balanced pre, mod86p dual mono amps, Yamaha NS1000m

I'm the'greatunwashed'.

Here's one that has slipped through the net, but as it was posted on my birthday I'll take that as my excuse . . . I'll give it a spin later
    "People will hear what you tell them to hear" - Thomas Edison

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast