• Over fields and vales I like these tales

0 0%
  • Very pleasent, good songs

5 38.46%
  • Can feel a sonnett coming on, groovy

1 7.69%
  • All most The Whole of the Moon

1 7.69%
  • Great album, best thing I've heard in years.

0 0%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Album Club: 22:11:2011: The Waterboys - An Appointment with Mr Yeats(2011)

I'm Dave.

Well I gave it a listen and was optimistic as they have been around a while and I was expecting great things.

Oh dear! I was really disapointed. Mike Scotts voice is just so irritating! It just grates on me. I can't listen to the man.

I'm sorry but that's where it ended. If I can't listen to the lead singer then it doesn't matter how good the songs are.

I gave it 3 but it really should have been a 2 at most.
    In - Tweaked Lenco GL75, Linn Ittok, Ortofon Cadenza Black
    Through - Croft Micro 25 RS LS, power R monoblocks, RIAA R. Ortofon ST-80 SE SUT.
    Along - Tellurium Q Ultra Black cables
    Out - Harbeth SHL5 Plus XD's

Street photography

Dave

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

Quote Originally Posted by The Grand Wazoo View Post
    There's a bonus for Alex on this album - flute solo on track 2!! I'll be checking it again later for some mallet madness.

Not yet had the house to myself to give this one a spin - though I enjoyed them "back in the day" and saw them live then - 25 odd years ago
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.
    Please see "about me" for the rest of my cr@p! Gallery

A.o.S. on Facebook - A.o.S. on Spotify - A.o.S. on Twitter

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

Location: Swaledale, North Yorkshire + The Valley of Longevity

I'm Toooldnowtogrowup.

Been listening to this all afternoon. I do like the Waterboys vibe and without ever getting to the peaks of Fishermans Blues I can see myself returning to this album repeatedly. It not only provides easy backround listening for the office but can also survive being turned up and becoming the main focus .... Yes it was nice to return to the Waterboys .. ...... an easy 7 this afternoon has turned into an 8 this evening ... ..
    Brian
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Smile, breathe and go slowly ..........................

I'm Barry.

Thats great Brian I'm glad someone else enjoys it I was beginning to get a bit worried after being so enthusiastic about it.

I'm Dave.

I feel a bit guilty about being so negative now...
    Especially as you were good enough to put it up in the first place.

Truth is the WaterBoys are a very talented band its just Mike's voice I can't take too much of.

I suppose life would be boring if we all liked the same thing...
    Through - Croft Micro 25 RS LS, power R monoblocks, RIAA R. Ortofon ST-80 SE SUT.

Street photography

Dave

I'm Barry.

Quote Originally Posted by Thing Fish View Post
    I feel a bit guilty about being so negative now...
    Especially as you were good enough to put it up in the first place.

Truth is the WaterBoys are a very talented band its just Mike's voice I can't take too much of.

I suppose life would be boring if we all liked the same thing...
    This has got me thinking what comes first with an artist the voice or the music that I like. There are quite a lot of distinctive vocals, Dylan,Cocker,Stewart would their songs have been the same without them?

I'm Barry.

Mike Scott is Scottish and yet most of his music is about Ireland , I wonder if he wishes he was Irish and tries to develope an Irish accent? Just a thought.

I'm Dave.

I really struggle with Cocker and Dylan even though he writes some really special songs his voice grates on me as well.

I suppose for me the voice is the main thing as it tops the cake so to speak.

Anywho we digress...

Street photography

Dave

I'm Barry.

Quote Originally Posted by Thing Fish View Post
    I really struggle with Cocker and Dylan even though he writes some really special songs his voice grates on me as well.

I suppose for me the voice is the main thing as it tops the cake so to speak.

Anywho we digress...
    Quite right its Album Club

I'm ChrisB.

Well, I quite liked it!
    I recognise one or two musical themes from earlier Waterboys albums but that's no crime. As a rule I'm not particularly enamoured with poetry, but this makes me want to take a fresh look at the original subject matter. I found the album needed a few plays before it started to work it's way into my consciousness, so I could see how folks might think it to be OK as background music & no more.
    The sing-speech style is a little odd (FZ used to do it quite a bit on his 80's albums).
    I gave it a solid 7/10

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast