• Over fields and vales I like these tales

0 0%
  • Very pleasent, good songs

5 38.46%
  • Can feel a sonnett coming on, groovy

1 7.69%
  • All most The Whole of the Moon

1 7.69%
  • Great album, best thing I've heard in years.

0 0%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Album Club: 22:11:2011: The Waterboys - An Appointment with Mr Yeats(2011)

I'm Barry.

Default Album Club: 22:11:2011: The Waterboys - An Appointment with Mr Yeats(2011)

The Waterboys - An Appointment with Mr Yeats

A band I liked during the 80's and very much enjoyed the track "Stolen Child" off the Fisherman's Blues album. That particular track was an adaptation of a W.B. Yeats poem and I was intrigued enough by a new project from Mike Scott (Mr Waterboy himself) to go and see a tour last year entitled An Appointment with Mr Yeats. The Album itself hadn't been released and the set consisted of some songs with words by Yeats and some Waterboys favorites.
    The album released this year, Double vinyl (45rpm) and CD, consists of all new compositions with words by the poet.
    In my opinion - wonderful album and easily the best Waterboys album.

Spotify http://open.spotify.com/album/4EStbTDHbaKdWUMs25Xbfa

I'm Keith.

That sounds interesting. I love Fisherman's Blues, but don't think I have heard much after that. Will give this one a go.
    Keith
    Analogue: Lenco L75 with 'PTP5' top plate in heavy birch ply plinth/re-wired Rega RB300/SAE 1000e HOMC Cartridge/Trans-Fi Reso-Mat/Moth RCM
    Files: Voyage MPD/Custom PC/Supra USB/Beresford ASYNCH-1/Beresford TOSlink cable
    CDP: Inca Katana SE
    DAC: Beresford Caiman MkII (LiPo Battery powered)
    Pre-Amp: Croft Micro 25 Power-Amp: Croft Series 7
    Speakers: DIY Frugel-Horn Mk3 ('FH3') + REL Strata subwoofer
    Headphones: Beyer Dynamics DT990 Pro (250 ohm)/Schiit Asgard Headphone Amp
    Cables - Interconnects: Mark Grant G1000HD Speaker Cables: Van Damme Blue
    Mains: Belkin PF30/Mark Grant DSP2.5 & DSP1.0 Rack: Target

Office System: HP Win8 Laptop/JRiver/MF V-Link2/Beresford Bushmaster MkII/Topping TP20 Mk2/Mission 771e
    Bedroom System: Raspberry Pi/Raspbrian + MPD/HiFiBerry DAC/Topping TP20 Mk2/Mission 760i or DIY Hybrid Valve-MOSFET Headphone amp + Sennheiser HD595

Gallery

Location: North Cambs UK, Earth, Sol, Orion - Cygnus arm of galaxy

I'm MadeOfDeadGiantStarsThatExplodedEonsAgo.

Tomorrow night I'll give this a spin Barry Cheers for dropping in at the drop of a hat

Well done fella
    Bests, Mark

"We must believe in free will. We have no choice" Isaac Bashevis Singer

I'm Dave.

Hmmm the waterboys 'An Appointment with Mr Yeats'

I have to say I loved 'Goodbye Jumbo' so will spin this with much gusto...
    In - Tweaked Lenco GL75, Linn Ittok, Ortofon Cadenza Black
    Through - Croft Micro 25 RS LS, power R monoblocks, RIAA R. Ortofon ST-80 SE SUT.
    Along - Tellurium Q Ultra Black cables
    Out - Harbeth SHL5 Plus XD's

Street photography

Dave

I'm ChrisB.

Funny thing, just this evening I finished off reading an article in Mojo from a couple of months ago about Mike Scott & the Waterboys. I saw them once in Sheffield or Leeds or somewhere, have a few of their/his albums, but not yet heard this one, so I'll be interested to give it a spin.
    Cheers Barry

I'm Steve.

I like the waterboys and have seen them live too and they were great. I will check this one out and report back.
    They swim... the mark of Satan is upon them. They must hang.

FLAC / WDTV Live / Cambridge Audio / Tannoy VX12

I'm Paul.

Waterboys did a great performance on Jools Holland a few weeks ago. Never got into them 20 years ago as I was never keen on that 'Whole of The Moon' track that got rather overplayed. This promises to be more interesting though.

I'm John.

Not for me this one.
    I just don’t get it really. I can see the cabaret aspect of the album and telling stories in a tune can work well for some. I just don’t think these guys do a particularly good job of it.
    I couldn’t cope with the over emphasized vocals that hover between talking and singing.
    Single spur balanced Mains. Self built music server with 3 seperate linear PSU, Intel i5, 16 GB RAM no hard drive (various Linux OS). Benchmark Dac2 HGC, single ended XLR interconnects/Belkin cable. Exposure 21RC Pre, Super 18 Power (recap & modified). Modded World Audio HD83 HP amp. Hand built Monitors with external crossovers , Volt 250 bass & ABR, Scanspeak 13M8621 Mid & Scanspeak D2905/9300 Hi. HD595 & Beyer 880 (600 ohm) cans.

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.
    -Bertrand Russel

John.

I'm ILOB.

I am with John on this one. Not really for me I give it a 4 as being kind
    Loves anything from Pain of Salvation to Jeff Buckley to Django to Sarasate to Surinder Sandhu to Shawn Lane to Nick Drake to Rush to Beth Hart to Kate Bush to Rodrigo Y Gabriela to The Hellecasters to Dark Sanctury to Ben Harper to Karicus to Dream Theater to Zero Hour to Al DiMeola to Larry Carlton to Derek Trucks to Govt Mule to?

Humour: One of the few things worth taking seriously

I'm ChrisB.

There's a bonus for Alex on this album - flute solo on track 2!! I'll be checking it again later for some mallet madness.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast