+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Paul Hynes SR7EHD PSU - unlocking the latent potential of my Technics SL-1210

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by Mains Cables R Us View Post
    Marco,
    Nice thread and am glad your new PSU is doing the business, superlatives abound but there has been no mention of the mains lead that I can see connected to the PSU and which must surely be contributing enormously to the exceptional performance you are getting from this new item?

If you have mentioned it please excuse me as it's been a long day!

P.S Don't you have a cleaner in your house to deny those dust mites a hearty meal?

What say you matey?

Lol! Oh the 'Ultimate' power cable, purchased from your good self, is definitely playing an essential role in proceedings, as are the others in my system!!

Full review on David's Ultimate power cables to come during the Xmas hols, folks (which for me begin on 16th Dec)!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm arecurringnightmare.

Quote Originally Posted by Mains Cables R Us View Post
    I sent you an e-mail to say it would be 2 weeks kind sir so I have ordered you one and some spares for my own power supply's as I also ran out! Will let you know once it's here.
    Thanks you kind sir.

Rhodium/Silver

Looking forward to the outcome of the two connecting methods. i have a feeling Paul's xl plug will be the winner. For some reason i can't get my head round Furutech using Rhodium as Silver is a far better conductor of Electric, but the taste is always in the eating, so to speak. Just remember to keep those Silver connectors clean.

I'm arecurringnightmare.

Hi

Thought I'd let you know.
    I've just placed my order with Paul for a SR7EHD PSU, now I've just got to sit back await... this is going to be a long time due to Christmas just around the corner.
    I went for the XL connector, Fine Silver lead, Silver internal wiring from the regs to XL panel connector and Furutech FI-09 IEC
    Thank you Paul for all your help.

I'll post some pics when it arrives(I'll ask Paul first tho).

Now off to study up on the Bearing etc.
    Last edited by Artifolk; 03-12-2011 at 16:03.

Nice one, Charles! Trust me, you won't regret it

I've been living with the SR7 now for a couple of weeks, and it has definitely added another dimension to the sonic performance of the Techy; really 'tidying up' its sound, making it bolder and more 'grown-up' than ever, and thus elevating the Technics further into the realms of being a truly world-class T/T.

When I got the SR7, it was around the same time as I obtained my new Ortofon tonearm, so it wasn't so easy to ascertain exactly where the huge improvement in the sonic performance of my T/T was coming from. Undoubtedly, the RS212D was making a significant contribution, as was the SR7.

However, it wasn't until I had the (now well-documented) mishap with my Ortofon arm, and had to return temporarily to using a Jelco SA750, that I was able to appreciate the sheer musical magic that the SR7EHD was clearly bringing to the party - a magic which simply wasn't there to the same degree before with the (excellent in its own right) SR5, in the exact same system.

The SR7EHD allows the Techy to significantly better resolve information on recordings and present it with unflappable ease, finesse and unbridled clarity. Basically, it provides insight into all genres of music on vinyl that I've not heard so far from any other high-quality off-board T/T for the SL-1200. As such, it qualifies as one of the most fundamental upgrades one can buy for the Technics. Paul has created an absolute gem with this one!

What you need now is one of Mike New's superb bearings - quite simply, there is nothing else on the market for the Techy to touch them...

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm arecurringnightmare.

Wink

Thanks Marco

I'm really looking forward to this build.
    Can't wait to get the PSU... still waiting for Paul to confirm he received payment etc, left an email but haven't heard so far... Busy man.
    Any comment on the Furutech vs Pauls XL socket. I've missed out on the Furutech as David reckons they've stopped manufacture...GRRR

From what I've read so far, reviews etc, it would seem the Mike New bearing is the one to get, but before i do make a decision, I'll prob go for the internal regs first, get the power up to or at least its best then move on to the bearing.

Also from what i can gather, I've possibly made a mistake with the Oyaide mat (fantastic btw) but i can at least sell it on. What with the Mike New Platter and Funks version.( looking forward to a review).

I'm Paul.

Hi Charles,

Payment confirmed. It has been a little busy lately. I still have a lot of e-mail to answer and I have to fit this into gaps in the work schedule. Will get back to you shortly.

Regards
    Paul
    Paul Hynes Design
    paulhynesdesign.com
    High Performance Power Supply upgrades
    http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?t=16655

Hi Charles,

Unfortunately I haven't had a chance yet to compare the Furutech vs Paul's XL socket. It's not a quick one to do.

However, I can say with some confidence that, if there's anything in it, it will be very small. Therefore since the Furutech is no longer available, I'd simply go with Paul's XL plug and socket, and enjoy!

The Mike New bearing, at the moment, quite simply has no real competition, so that one's an easy decision to make.

As for the Oyaide mat, you haven't made a mistake. It forms a formidable partnership with the stock platter (I've used that combo before, so I know exactly what it does), but if you really want to take the Techy all the way, sonically, then the Funk or Mike New's platter is the way to go.

Marco.
    Main System

I'm Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Hynes View Post
    Hi Charles,

Payment confirmed. It has been a little busy lately. I still have a lot of e-mail to answer and I have to fit this into gaps in the work schedule. Will get back to you shortly.

Regards
    Paul
    Paul, you should be making my power supply
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm arecurringnightmare.

Thanks Paul.

Could you also let me know the costs of the internal regs upgrade. Maybe i could add this to my order?

Marco

I possibly should have rewritten what i was saying about the Oyaide.

I should have said... its a fantastic mat but i wish i had found this site before buying.

I'm Paul.

Paul,

That’s what I do to the office computer when things go wrong, only I use a big stick.

I will be making your power supply once the custom Teflon printed circuit board (PCB) arrives. There are a number of different specification levels for the materials used to make Teflon boards. This is special order stuff from abroad and at this specification level the board material itself is only manufactured to order. The board material should be arriving at my PCB manufacturer any day now and will be processed within a week of arrival. I did warn you it would be after the Christmas/New Year holidays before I would be finishing your power supply. I know it is hard waiting for toys, as I am about to order one that will take around 8 weeks to arrive. This is just the way custom built to order is.

Charles,

I have e-mailed you with details of the internal regulator upgrades.

Regards
    Paul
    Paul Hynes Design
    paulhynesdesign.com
    High Performance Power Supply upgrades
    http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?t=16655

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast