+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Paul Hynes SR7EHD PSU - unlocking the latent potential of my Technics SL-1210

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Arrow Paul Hynes SR7EHD PSU - unlocking the latent potential of my Technics SL-1210

Guys,

Some of you may know that I've recently upgraded my T/T PSU from the Paul Hynes SR5-21 to the new, and hugely over-specified, SR7EHD. Therefore, here are my thoughts on what has been been achieved, sonically. First, a some pics of the beastie, in order to get the ball rolling:

Front:

Back:

It also weighs a ton!

The 3-pin connection at the back is for Paul's Clearsilver XL lead, the claimed electrical benefits of which Paul will outline here shortly. I will have the lead in my possession soon, and will do a comparison between it and my silver DCSXL cable, fitted with Furutech CF-60 XLR plug, and FP-682F socket on the back of the PSU.

In order to fully maximise performance, the SR7EHD has also been fitted with a Furutech FI-10(R) Rhodium IEC inlet.

As the SR7EHD is slowly running in from new, I can hear exactly what it's doing with music - and what it's doing is quite astonishing..... Its huge reserves of current driving capability are allowing my T/T to deliver so far unrealised levels of musical analysis.

I suspect that this is due to further lowering the noise-floor delivered by the (already excellent) SR5-21, and simply giving the turntable's regulator and control circuitry an even easier ride, rather like I suppose fitting a bigger and better engine to a car, which has the inherent design capability to maximise the benefits of the increased 'horsepower', or slotting a better and more powerful amplifier into a system that is able to fully showcase its superior music resolving abilities.

Although such a huge power supply for the Technics is arguably WAY 'over the top', in terms of the measurable current it can draw (and some would therefore say unnecessary), listening tests clearly indicate that there are still significant sonic gains to be had by going down the over-specified transformer route. It is beyond question to my ears that, with the Technics SL-1200/1210, latent potential exists, waiting to be untapped, when the use of a judiciously over-specified external PSU is employed. Paul I'm sure will provide the technical rationale.

In short, with the introduction of the SR7EHD, my system, when playing vinyl, has subjectively more available 'headroom' in order to portray music with greater conviction. What this means, in real terms, is that timing is improved to the extent that rhythms are sync-locked to new levels of foot-tapping syncopation, and music is now underpinned with a security and authority, together with an overall effortlessness that I've never heard before from my modified SL-1210 (or indeed any T/T I've had experience of using), making for more believable and enjoyable listening to all genres of music.

Tunes are now driven along with an incredible (and indeed infectious) alacrity, seemingly unhindered by any recognised physical or technical restrictions of the vinyl reproduction chain, thus allowing rhythmic development within the musical structure full reign. This results in the unlocking of nuances in familiar recordings, which although present with the SR5 were, in comparison, somewhat 'held in check', resulting in their role in the musical picture being diminished and therefore less influential in allowing a faithful rendition of the music reproduced. Well, with the SR7EHD, that musical picture is now complete.

I can confidently say that the addition of the Paul Hynes SR7EHD has been a revelation, and no doubt it will become even more so, as the burning-in process continues towards its completion.

Anyway, enough typing, it's time to spin more tunes!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

Groan! Anyone want to buy an SR5.
    Paul.

Hi Paul,

The SR5 (and SR3) are still very valid products at their respective price points, and in my opinion, are streets ahead of the commercial competition, in terms of the sonic performance that they offer.

The SR7EHD simply raises the bar from excellent to sensational, and shows just what is possible when Paul *really* puts his mind to it!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Andrew.

Marco,

Thanks for the description of your SR7EHD, I put my order in for the more exotic version of this and can honestly say that I cant wait. I think I ordered it about 2 weeks ago and every day seem like a week waiting for it In the meantime I do have a Audiotechnica SUT sitting in my system so when I get the next PSU from Paul I should be able to give you some idea of how mine works!

Andy
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Hi Paul,

The SR5 (and SR3) are still very valid products at their respective price points, and in my opinion, are streets ahead of the commercial competition, in terms of the sonic performance that they offer.

The SR7EHD simply raises the bar from excellent to sensational, and shows just what is possible when Paul *really* puts his mind to it!

Marco.
    Hi Marco

I agree with you wholeheartedly. Having made the decision to take development of the Techie all the way, I regret that the SR5 isn't upgradeable and that if I want to move forward again will have to be sold on.

Paul.
    Paul.

I'm David.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Hi Paul,

Marco.
    But Dude you have not tried ALL the commercial compettion PSU's have you so cannot categorically state which is best surely?

Hi David,

Of the T/T PSUs I've heard *so far*, the SR7EHD is unquestionably the best, to my ears in my system. Obviously that opinion is only valid up until, or if indeed, I hear something better in the same context

Why not bring your own PSU, or any others you sell, to Dom's bake-off and see how it stacks up? I'd value your opinion on the matter

Marco.
    Main System

I'm arecurringnightmare.

Hi Marco

This all looks very promising from what i read so far, eager to read your review once the burn is done.
    Looks like I've made the right decision once the extras arrive (Can't find a Furutech FP-682F(R) anywhere in the country), I'm waiting for Mains Cables R Us to get back.

Some photos would be nice just to get an idea of size, build etc.

For cosmetic reasons, Paul will be fitting mine into an Armageddon case with FI-09 Iec, CF-601M(R) and the above mentioned. May also look into having the output stage done in Silver wire etc as with the xl version.

Nothing like starting at the bottom and working your way to Audio Nirvana.

I'm Minh.

I do own a Paul Hynes MM phono stage. This product was many years ago when his company just start up.This guy is expert in power supply. Hence my phono stage transient is very fast and quite. I'm looking forward to getting a power supply from the man himself to fit into my Technics soon.

I'm Gareth.

Dip in every now and then to see what's happening-much progress since I fitted a Kabusa p/s to my pair of Mk5s a few years back now..Just wish I had spare funds to catch up with the latest!
    Marcos deck was impressive enough last Scalford, l hope to hear it at the next one with the latest additions. Good work!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast