+ Reply to Thread

Thread: out with the old tonearm...

Default out with the old tonearm...

I'm back from my hols and have spent no time getting the new cardas arm sorted. The arm itself is a teccie Kab cardas which i opted for on the grounds of cost. I had a word with j7 and he's removing the old arm, fitting the new and attaching a set of pimpmeister ext leads & phonos. I also sent him the Kab terminal block but have basically let him 'get on with it' as i'm sure he'll do whatever is best for the arm. inc 'Special D' each way the work is costing £66

The pics show:

1/the dust cover and phono clamp. remove a couple of screws to reveal:

2/the internal gubbins that gives sme so many sleepless nights :

3/ At the 1'oclock postion there is a pillar on which a circlip was fitted. removal of this allowed the whole assy to be unscrewed by turning the VTA collar.Also of note is the L/H screw on the pcb - the earth lead is attached here by tab washer, one end goes out with the phonos,the other snakes off in to the decks' internals. It remains to be seen how this will be re-attached. poo leads snipped for transport:

4/ Kab cardas arm and terminal block (pretty unassuming at present)

j7 says i may have it back as early as the w/e. i'll keep you posted
    Attached Images Attached Images
    ---------------------------------------------------
    recovering audioholic

Technics: SL 1210 mk2 / KAB PS1200 psu /Trans-fi Terminator / AT-OC9MLII / WD ph3s /Bluesound node 2i/Musical Fidelity Ms3i/ WADkit 6550 / Tannoy revolution xt8f

Gareth.

I'm Nick.

Quote Originally Posted by muffinman View Post
    poo leads snipped for transport
    I had to laugh when I read that Mr Muffinman!
    Nick
    My system...

Follow AOS on Twitter: @AoS_Forum

The arm is back from j7. sent monday, back friday. telephone communications to ensure the work done was correct - fantastic service, highly, highly reccomended.

cardas arm and new ext leads fitted to tec pcb. j7 says the pcb is a great design. earth leads now soldered (formerly tagged)

the whole shebang

the new earth lead attached. also note the vta lock awaiting circlip and washer

circlip on, sub base refitted

back on with the blanking plate/ext clamp. i've decided against using the plastic clamp assy as it's not needed for me. it also bends the leads all out of shape

all back together - ready to rock

j7 is a craftsman and a good bloke. he's has done a great job and i'm really looking forward to having a good listen. in retrospect i wish i'd been able to upgrade incrementally and had a reasonable time to evaluate all the improvements over time. it's a shame because i know that the arm will sound fantastic compared to the stock unit, but the 'wow' factor will probably be a little lost in the mire of so many upgrades over a short time. i know this may sound a bit brattish now that my deck is pimped - but hey!
    ---------------------------------------------------
    recovering audioholic

Technics: SL 1210 mk2 / KAB PS1200 psu /Trans-fi Terminator / AT-OC9MLII / WD ph3s /Bluesound node 2i/Musical Fidelity Ms3i/ WADkit 6550 / Tannoy revolution xt8f

Gareth.

I'm BigBobJoylove.

Very nice indeed Muffinman, those Technics DD turntables really seem to be the way to go.

Glad the photo guide worked for you too.

Ben Duncan mains conditioner
    2022 MacBook Pro 14" M1 Pro 10/16/16/16
    Samsung QE75Q90T 75" QLED TV
    XMOS DSD Async USB to Coax converter
    RME Audio ADI-2 FS (AK4493) DAC
    Chord Clearway XLR interconnects
    Audioquest Crimson USB interconnect
    QED Quartz Reference optical interconnect
    Edifier S3000 Pro active speakers
    Atacama SE24 stands

I'm ILOB.

looks really good and must sound great
    Like the idea of pimp my turntable guess a lot of us here have that guilty pleasure
    Loves anything from Pain of Salvation to Jeff Buckley to Django to Sarasate to Surinder Sandhu to Shawn Lane to Nick Drake to Rush to Beth Hart to Kate Bush to Rodrigo Y Gabriela to The Hellecasters to Dark Sanctury to Ben Harper to Karicus to Dream Theater to Zero Hour to Al DiMeola to Larry Carlton to Derek Trucks to Govt Mule to?

Humour: One of the few things worth taking seriously

+ Reply to Thread