View Poll Results: Album Club: 15.11.11: Mike Oldfield - The Songs Of Distant Earth

Voters
20. You may not vote on this poll
  • 0/10: A real pukefest.

0 0%
  • 1/10: Never again - please!

1 5.00%
  • 2/10: I forgot the good stuff due to the crap!

1 5.00%
  • 3/10: Just about listenable.

3 15.00%
  • 4/10: Ok, but not my pint of beer.

3 15.00%
  • 5/10: Ok, but the last track put me off.

0 0%
  • 6/10: Not too bad at all.

1 5.00%
  • 7/10: I quite like this.

2 10.00%
  • 8/10: Very good indeed.

7 35.00%
  • 9/10: Off to buy it right now!

0 0%
  • 10/10: Rewind & spin it again!

2 10.00%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Album Club: 15.11.11: Mike Oldfield - The Songs Of Distant Earth (1994)

I'm John.

Deeply disappointed mate
    You’ve totally bottled it on this one

You out of anyone here probably, could have dug up something that left us all stunned and reaching for some paracetamol

Nah, teasing, good pick I’ll have a listen. I haven’t heard this for a while.
    Single spur balanced Mains. Self built music server with 3 seperate linear PSU, Intel i5, 16 GB RAM no hard drive (various Linux OS). Benchmark Dac2 HGC, single ended XLR interconnects/Belkin cable. Exposure 21RC Pre, Super 18 Power (recap & modified). Modded World Audio HD83 HP amp. Hand built Monitors with external crossovers , Volt 250 bass & ABR, Scanspeak 13M8621 Mid & Scanspeak D2905/9300 Hi. HD595 & Beyer 880 (600 ohm) cans.

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.
    -Bertrand Russel

John.

Location: North Cambs UK, Earth, Sol, Orion - Cygnus arm of galaxy

I'm MadeOfDeadGiantStarsThatExplodedEonsAgo.

Ah yes, I forgot the bagpipes Track 3 or 4 I think Not my favourite either...

However, I remember being the last person at work at Chloride Electronics one evening & the security guard got his bagpipes going Sounded incredible in a big factory I can tell you
    Bests, Mark

"We must believe in free will. We have no choice" Isaac Bashevis Singer

Location: North Cambs UK, Earth, Sol, Orion - Cygnus arm of galaxy

I'm MadeOfDeadGiantStarsThatExplodedEonsAgo.

Quote Originally Posted by Welder View Post
    You out of anyone here probably, could have dug up something that left us all stunned and reaching for some paracetamol
    There is always another time John... I can lure you in & then hit you with the headf*ck stuff
    Bests, Mark

"We must believe in free will. We have no choice" Isaac Bashevis Singer

I'm the'greatunwashed'.

Quote Originally Posted by Reid Malenfant View Post
    Ah yes, I forgot the bagpipes .......... one evening & the security guard got his bagpipes going Sounded incredible in a big factory I can tell you
    That's just the thing Mark, I really love bagpipes played well, incredibly stirring and a wonderful instrument. But with pop music (as I think this is rather pop at the mo) they don't often work for me and this is a good example.
    "People will hear what you tell them to hear" - Thomas Edison

I'm Paul.

This one strangely passed me by unoticed at the time. Came between his rehashes of Tubular Bells which received much more publicity. Rare and virtualy unobtainable on used vinyl but now very cheap on CD. I have seen a lot of praise for this elsewhere and the Amazon reviews are more than positive. I have ordered this as I like much of Mike Oldfield's earlier work. Looks like a good and less obvious choice Mark. - Especially after last week

I'm Steve.

I have been a Mike Oldfield fan for many years, and despite preferring his older output I like this too. I have given it an 8

BTW, I will have to change my choice now, I was going to do Five Miles Out
    They swim... the mark of Satan is upon them. They must hang.

FLAC / WDTV Live / Cambridge Audio / Tannoy VX12

I'm Will.

Quote Originally Posted by Reid Malenfant View Post
    It gets an 8/10 from me as 1. I already own it & 2. I do have better stuff
    That's a bit confusing Mark...why not then go with the better stuff?

I hope you're not trying to be popularist...like Alex
    Cheers, Will

I'm john.

My late Dad got me this on it's release and I love it. It is one of the very few albums that my wife & I both enjoy. I do find some parts a wee bit boring but this is one of Mikes better albums....I gave it a 10 but maybe 8 is more realistic.
    John.

I'm John.

I’ve listened to this a couple of times now.

It’s difficult to be critical of the album with regard to the recording, arrangement and even the theme.
    The problem is I just don’t like it.
    I’m listening to one of Marks other favorite’s atm Steve Roach, Dreamtime Returns and for ambient/electronic/whatever I much prefer this.
    Single spur balanced Mains. Self built music server with 3 seperate linear PSU, Intel i5, 16 GB RAM no hard drive (various Linux OS). Benchmark Dac2 HGC, single ended XLR interconnects/Belkin cable. Exposure 21RC Pre, Super 18 Power (recap & modified). Modded World Audio HD83 HP amp. Hand built Monitors with external crossovers , Volt 250 bass & ABR, Scanspeak 13M8621 Mid & Scanspeak D2905/9300 Hi. HD595 & Beyer 880 (600 ohm) cans.

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.
    -Bertrand Russel

John.

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

Listened this morning, and kept thinking "where's the bagpipes?"

Then realised I'd accidentally selected the wrong album!

Still, I can recommend Music of the Spheres if you enjoyed Songs of Distant Earth, and it doesn't have bagpipes!

I'll get back to SoDE later...
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.
    Please see "about me" for the rest of my cr@p! Gallery

A.o.S. on Facebook - A.o.S. on Spotify - A.o.S. on Twitter

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast