+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Denon AVC A11SR Amplifier and DVD A11 Player

I'm Nathan.

Yet again, great info, thanks Mark.

Quote Originally Posted by Reid Malenfant View Post
    Yes, spot on The cables are easily available with a DVD-D on the one end & HDMI on the other. They are entirely compatable bar one single thing - DVI will not carry audio, it's video only but digital video which will give you the best picture. If for some reason you can't locate one then adapters are available to convert from DVI-D to HDMI which would go on the end of a DVI-D cable.

I wouldn't mind betting that the DVD player will have some kind of upsampler built in so you may be able to output either 720P or 1080i as per the Denon DVD2910. Your TV could then de-interlace it to produce 1080P. If it doesn't then I'm sure the TV will do as good as it can at doing the same trick.

You'll need to connect from the stereo outputs to an auxiliary socket on your TV & asign it to work with one of the HDMI inputs (shouldn't be to hard).

Meanwhile that leaves you the full surround stuff to go to the AV amp as there is usually a seperate stereo output for two channel. As an alternative you could use one of the digital audio outputs & feed that to the AV amp, or do both - in which case you could listen to the TV speakers or turn them down & give it some with the AV amp in stereo.

The world is going to be your oyster
    DIY is fine and dandy, but just try selling it on!

Nathan.

I'm john.

Quote Originally Posted by RochaCullen View Post
    Hi All,

I have the option to get myself a second hand Denon AVC A11SR Amplifier and DVD A11 Player for €500. Do you think it is worth it?

My current home cinema kit is very basic. Plus I've not so far contracted the Hi-Def bug when it comes to movies. I have a HD box for normal TV, but DVD does me fine for films at the moment.

Given the quality of the amp my gut is telling me it would be a good purchase.

Any thoughts?

Nathan

Have you collected the pair yet Nathan?

jon

I'm Nathan.

No, not yet. A friend of mine was meant to pick it up, but was not able so I am going to have to wait a little while for it. Its up in dublin, and I will be making the trip up myself come the end of the month.

Nathan

Quote Originally Posted by jon1 View Post

Have you collected the pair yet Nathan?

jon

Nathan.

I'm john.

No, not yet. A friend of mine was meant to pick it up, but was not able so I am going to have to wait a little while for it. Its up in dublin, and I will be making the trip up myself come the end of the month.

Nathan

Can you wait that long?

jon

I'm Nathan.

Unfortunately John, I will have to. However, the fact that I have put off the purchase of the denon set means I can make the other major purchase that I have been eyeing up for the last while, which is a proper preamp for my 2 channel system.

Can you wait that long?

jon

Nathan.

I'm Nathan.

Well they have finally arrived. And oh my goodness they are huge. Some serious work had to be done to get them into the house.

I have them set up in my study at the moment blasting out a bit of Tears for Fears.

Will have to do a bit of doctoring of my TV unit to allow these things to fit in. So it will be a day or two till I can watch a film using them.

Can you wait that long?

jon

Nathan.

I'm john.

Well they have finally arrived. And oh my goodness they are huge. Some serious work had to be done to get them into the house.

I have them set up in my study at the moment blasting out a bit of Tears for Fears.

Will have to do a bit of doctoring of my TV unit to allow these things to fit in. So it will be a day or two till I can watch a film using them.

I bet their was sum tears lifting them in to your study?

jon

I'm Nathan.

Default Impressions...

Hi All,

I've been meaning to take a couple of shots of the amp and player in situ, but not really had access to a decent camera of late.

When you do finally see a photo you will see that both items fit in very snuggly. It almost looks like the Unit was made for them, that is until you see that I had to cut the back off the TV unit so their backsides could hang out.

I've not been overly impressed with the picture quality, but I suspect that is because I am using them with an older HD-ready LG unit.

One problem I am having now however is that while CDs fire up immediately, a DVD might take a couple of goes before kicking off. Does this indicate the lens needs a clean, or something more drastic.

The amp is a joy. I've yet to properly sit down and go over the manual and get things configured correctly, but the jump in sound quality from my old yamaha AV rig is very clear. Even with my bog standard jamo compact surround speakers things are sounding pretty good. I've been thinking about getting some proper speakers for the amp, but given that I already have one man cave, I don't think it would be appreciated if I started putting big speaker boxes in our sitting room too.

I promise, some photos to come!!

Nathan.

I'm Martin.

I've noticed that current cheapo DVD players have a bettter picture than old expensive DVD players, mainly I think because the chips have improved so much over the years. Your Denon is what, 10 years old? Try a current range supermarket special player on the same telly I'll be very surprised if it doesn't beat the Denon for picture quality.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Nathan.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    I've noticed that current cheapo DVD players have a bettter picture than old expensive DVD players, mainly I think because the chips have improved so much over the years. Your Denon is what, 10 years old? Try a current range supermarket special player on the same telly I'll be very surprised if it doesn't beat the Denon for picture quality.
    Where were you when I was thinking of buying the thing???

Nathan.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast