+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Getting into DIY

I'm Barry.

Default Getting into DIY

Hello,

I've always wanted to refurbish my own amplifier. My only experience w/ a soldering pencil is making my own cables and soldering in drivers and already packed x-overs. I know how lethal electronics can be and that capacitors need time to drain, but I would like to find a very simple amplifier design to refurbish/update with better parts: caps, resistors, wires, connectors, etc.
    As I'm attracted to tube sound something simple w/ only a few tubes would be nice but not citical. Could be a pre-amp, integrated - something simple but good sounding. Transistors would be fine if not complex. Any recommendations from valued members?

Best,
    Barry No. 2

I'm AMusicFanNotAnAudiophile.

You could do a lot worse than having a look here http://www.audio-talk.co.uk/phpBB2/index.php
    There's a heavy DIY bias (pun intended ).
    Quite a few members there are regulars here too.
    Chris

Common sense isn't anymore!

I'm Greg.

Default DIY

Another www worth having a browse through;
    http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/

Regards
    Greg

I'm Barry.

Thnks Chris and Greg, Ive boomarked them and will check them out.

~Barry

I'm jp.

Not sure if of any interest but you could try a Musical Fidelity X-series.

X-can or X-pre share similar mod path and are covered in depth by rock grotto
    http://www.rock-grotto.co.uk/morecapacitance.htm

Upgrades listed from upgrading caps, replacing volume pot to building a very simple PSU.

Mods are pretty cheap to carry out (say £20-40 for components for main box and another £30-40 for PSU if you wanted to go that far. Plus of course original purchase price). The mods are pretty clearly described and parts listed (takes a bit of research to source your own similar) or just buy the kit with instructions rock-grotto sell.

Most importantly the mods provide distinct sonic benefits and you can clearly hear the effect of different components (especially with headphones).

The above gave me a bug for DIY modding.

I'm Mark.

Tubes can be nasty, dangerous things to be playing with. Read up on the safety of it all if you want to give it a go. It can be a very quick and easy way to become dead.
    I've got a couple of tube amps that need a refurb, but I'll wait until I get some better insulated meter probes with clips before I even think about it.
    Mark

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

I second JP's recommendation regarding Rock-grotto and doing up old X series products.

The original MF X series was well designed (by mr De P I believe?) and make abroad I think. The improvements wrought to my X10-D by the upgrade were significant and made it far more transparent to the source too, but without stripping the sonics clinically bare in the process IMO. I also made up the simple 12V AC power supply he suggested, but this page looks to have gone from the site now and I don't think I saved the page intact. The X-10D works on a 12V line so is safe as houses to work on and practice one's soldering skills..

Last edited by DSJR; 08-11-2011 at 10:42.
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm Barry.

Thanks Dave R and mark - sage advice. I'll look for the "X's" by me. The folks on this site are great resources.

Best,
    Barry

+ Reply to Thread