+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Your views

I'm Nick.

Sounds like a nice and friendly way to help guide new members down the path of enlightenment, if it can be done...
    Nick
    My system...

Follow AOS on Twitter: @AoS_Forum

I'm ChrisB.

See me? I'm full o' good ideas..................well that's what I think they said!!

I'm Peter.

By the way, I think the Entrance Hall is a great name for that part of the forum.
    Peter

Quote Originally Posted by symon View Post
    By the way, I think the Entrance Hall is a great name for that part of the forum.
    http://www.entrances2hell.co.uk/
    Roksan Xerxes X/Morch tonearm/VdH Frog Gold
    TEAD Groove phono amp
    MF passive preamp
    Border Patrol SE300B power amp with Western Electrics valves
    Merdian 500 transport
    Chord DAC64
    Audiovector Mi3 Signature speakers
    Various Chord cables
    Target equipment stand

well its a few weeks since I joined and I am not finding it much easier to be honest - pleased to see Marco that you are asking for views - perhaps we can discuss when I come to you

think hard about the number of rooms - I know you dont want to change it at the mo but its a big issue - some of them could be joined with no loss

will have a think as I surf but the big point here seems to be guys are willing to work through it cos everyone is friendly and supportive - as it gets bigger it will be hard to spread the love so my guess is you will lose members who surf in, lurk and bugger off cos its too hard work

PS that banner is a PITA when surfing on my phone!

rgds
    darren

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

well its a few weeks since I joined and I am not finding it much easier to be honest - pleased to see Marco that you are asking for views - perhaps we can discuss when I come to you
    No worries, Darren. I think we'll need to because I just don't get what the 'difficulty' is

The banner stays as it is, though.

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Neil.

Hi DarrenW

I must be honest in that I just don't get what the difficulty is either. Trust me there are places that are awkward to navigate around but IMHO AOS is not one of them and as to the number of rooms look at AudioKarma (sorry to go back to them all the time...great forum, but MASSIVE.) It does not seem to cause them any issues...massive active membership too.

Maybe you could tell us/describe how, in a step by step way, as to how you find AOS awkward to use...this might help us understand where you are coming from.

Regards D S D L
    Last edited by Spectral Morn; 09-05-2009 at 10:31.
    Regards Neil

I should add that one of the most important reasons why there is a good (and we think relevant) selection of rooms is that in some ways AOS acts as a 'forum within forums'.

For example, someone who is only interested in computer audio and has no interest whatsoever in anything analogue, can simply 'live' in the 'Digital Impression' without having 'alien' discussions getting in the way of what interests them, and vice versa for someone only into T/Ts, etc. It's the same for people who are mainly into D.I.Y - they have a section all of their own to 'play in'.

In effect, one can simply ignore the areas of non-interest on AOS (or conversely find areas of interest) quickly and easily. This is quite difficult to do, IME, on other forums which simply have an 'audio' section, as one often has to sift through pages of stuff of no interest to find something worth reading...

It also keeps infamous and often controversial stand and cable discussions at 'arms length' in its own separate section without 'infecting' the main part of the forum

Lumping rooms together would be counterproductive to achieving the above, hence why we're reluctant to do it

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

earlier in the thread you asked if I could put things a bit clearer and I think I now can - AOS feels like a pub in oulton I went into when I was young - not quite the village of the dammed but a definite sense that the regulars crowded round the dartboard had a say in most things and didnt encourage others to contribute (not by direct action but more by accident due to complexity of structure, rigidness of mindset and an overall feeling of dictatorship) nothing wrong with this but it does end up with me visiting here less often and going back to other fora

if you are serious about making this place a bigger force on the hifi scene then you do perhaps need to engage in some honest appraisal of how it all works and how to get new members to start posting - think deep south inbreeding - you may end up with crooked green teeth!

take a look at any thread on here and you will see the management team take up a goodly percentage of the posts and usually end up directing the direction of the thread in some way

not looking to criticis but as you asked I thought it only fair to respond - having been here a month or so now I am sure its got too many rooms and the titles are difficult - what are the social clubs about for instance - why have em if they are not working?

just seen a note from someone about having more rooms than members and other new members have commented about complexity, one asking of there was a classifieds section and suggesting it as a good idea

I think I have been here long enough now to know this post will be rationalised away as the others seem to have but I chuck it in as a last ditch effort to get you guys to relook at the AOS and think about a change or at least tweak of direction.

rgds
    darren

Hi Darren,

How's it going? I hope all is well

earlier in the thread you asked if I could put things a bit clearer and I think I now can - AOS feels like a pub in oulton I went into when I was young - not quite the village of the dammed but a definite sense that the regulars crowded round the dartboard had a say in most things and didnt encourage others to contribute (not by direct action but more by accident due to complexity of structure, rigidness of mindset and an overall feeling of dictatorship) nothing wrong with this but it does end up with me visiting here less often and going back to other fora
    I honestly don't have a clue what you mean, mate, and why you feel like this... It really is a massive mystery to me

Perhaps you could explain what you mean by "rigidness of mindset and an overall feeling of dictatorship". This is especially perplexing!

Darren, we'd like to do what we can to help but when you appear to be on a completely different page from the rest of us it is very difficult.

if you are serious about making this place a bigger force on the hifi scene then you do perhaps need to engage in some honest appraisal of how it all works and how to get new members to start posting - think deep south inbreeding - you may end up with crooked green teeth!
    Can you be more specific please and less cryptic? What do you mean by "honest appraisal of how it all works and how to get new members to start posting"?

New members are posting - and regularly. Do you want some examples?

Not everyone will always post often. The forum is constantly evolving. Some people pop in and out, some stay longer, some are here everyday, and some drift away - that's life. I don't think it's something you can accurately analyse.

take a look at any thread on here and you will see the management team take up a goodly percentage of the posts and usually end up directing the direction of the thread in some way
    I take your point, but why is that necessarily a bad thing? The thing is, "the management team" have lots of combined experience to share, hopefully to help people with less experience get more from their systems and music and/or assist with any enquires. In fact, this is indeed the case.

As you know, I’ve been more than helpful with your cartridge conundrums, as have others. What should we do, sit back and ignore people? I have to deal with numerous queries everyday both from people asking me for advice on the forum and by PM. I can't help knowing stuff, Darren.

You suggest to me what I should do (and others in the management team) and we'll listen

not looking to criticis but as you asked I thought it only fair to respond - having been here a month or so now I am sure its got too many rooms and the titles are difficult - what are the social clubs about for instance - why have em if they are not working?
    The social clubs were a mistake and not my idea. It was a new facility offered by the lastest VBulletin software upgrades, which didn't work out. Beechy will answer this one for you. I think they should go.

As for "too many rooms/titles are difficult", we've already been there, mate.

just seen a note from someone about having more rooms than members...
    Well, that's obviously nonsense. We have 1229 members... I don't see 1229 rooms!

and other new members have commented about complexity, one asking of there was a classifieds section and suggesting it as a good idea
    Are these old posts you're referring to? We've got a classifieds section, and very busy it is, too - it's called 'Private Exhibitions'...

I think I have been here long enough now to know this post will be rationalised away as the others seem to have but I chuck it in as a last ditch effort to get you guys to relook at the AOS and think about a change or at least tweak of direction.
    Nothing is ever "rationalised away", I can assure you. The trouble we have is understanding exactly what the problems you've got are, simply because we just don't 'get' them. It's almost as if you're watching a different 'programme' from the rest of us.

I'm sympathetic, Darren, and want to help, but I'm honestly at a loss a) to understand much of what your issues are, and b) what exactly you'd like us to do about it

Marco.
    Main System

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast