+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Your views

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Hi Peter,

Marco,

your explanation is very clear. But, I don't think forums can read as linearly as you suggest.
    Obviously not!

I read things (anything - books, forums, whatever) from the top (beginning) and then work my way down. Regarding the forum, this is presuming of course that I arrived initially at the homepage. If not, I would always start from that point with any forum and proceed from there.

Presuming one adopts this (rather sensible) procedure when joining AOS, would you agree that everything is pretty much self-explanatory?

I'm just trying to get a handle on where exactly the confusion lies

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Peter.

Yes, actually. I find the forum quite easy to navigate around. I can't remember exactly what e-mails I received when I joined (I'll have to dig around and find them), but I know that the 'requirement' to sign in and say hello first was easy to pick up once in if not specifically stated at the door (so to speak).
    I read books from beginning to end too, and could never understand why you would want to read them any other way. Forums, on the other hand, are a different beast altogether!

Hi Peter,

Indeed, however I don't think it's too much to ask to start at the beginning of the homepage and work your way down through the rooms and topics, where everything should become clear. This seems normal and eminently sensible to me...

If you adopt some other policy when joining then we can hardly be held responsible in that respect for the ensuing confusion!

Glad you're enjoying it here, btw

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Peter.

Yes, I do enjoy it here a lot. I really should participate more. I know I certainly have a lot of questions that I want to ask!

The question is: Where does the homepage begin? This site has the member/hello type section at the top, Lenco Heaven has a similar section in a different place. So, there isn't an obvious starting point (like the first page of a book). Logic does lead you to the Entrance Hall, but forums in general don't follow a consistent logic.

I realise I am talking slightly askew to the main comments here. I think the different sections are fairly explanatory. But, I'm happy that this probably because my weird logic follows the logic of this site

The question is: Where does the homepage begin?
    Here: http://theartofsound.net/forum/index.php

If the above is not showing on your address bar then you're not at the homepage, and also unlikely to be able to follow the 'correct procedure' when joining as a new member

If everyone joins on the homepage then 'logic' should dictate that you start at the 'Welcome' room (at the top) and then work your way down, observing (and acting on) the contents of the rooms in the 'Entrance Hall' in the process, before reaching the main areas of the forum...

It ain't that difficult, I don't think!

Let's hear all about those questions you'd like to ask...

Marco.

P.S Can you do me a favour and add "Peter" to your signature, so that it appears underneath all your posts? Ta!
    Main System

I'm Peter.

Tis done (I think) - I was wondering how long it would be until someone asked.

I'm quite happy with the forum, so I'm only talking to help, I hope you know that. The point I'm trying to get across is that forums in general don't necessarily read from the top down. Or, I suppose more correctly, people don't approach forums as a thing that starts at the top. It's a bit more look at the picture and dive in to the appropriate bit. At least, that's how I think people approach forums. The thing that I was trying to say might be useful was a more specific hint (instruction) in the welcome e-mail everyone gets specifically pointing them to the Entrance Hall section first.

I suppose another point is that people won't necessarily read what is in each section, even if they go through them in the order you would like them to. It was some time before I got round to reading about the Ethos.
    Peter

I'm quite happy with the forum, so I'm only talking to help, I hope you know that.
    Of course, and I appreciate your input, Peter

The point I'm trying to get across is that forums in general don't necessarily read from the top down. Or, I suppose more correctly, people don't approach forums as a thing that starts at the top. It's a bit more look at the picture and dive in to the appropriate bit. At least, that's how I think people approach forums.
    I think you're absolutely right. However, much time was spent organising the layout of the forum so that when presented with the homepage above new users are then 'guided' through the rooms from the 'Entrance Hall' (there's a clue in there!) into the main areas of the forum where the posting procedure should then become self-explanatory. AOS is a bit different from other forums and for good reason. Obviously if you skip bits and 'dive in' somewhere else then confusion is a distinct possibility... It's like reading a story in a book: if you start in the middle then you'll probably miss the plot!

The thing that I was trying to say might be useful was a more specific hint (instruction) in the welcome e-mail everyone gets specifically pointing them to the Entrance Hall section first.
    Good idea - however, we don't like too many 'rules and regulations' appearing in the welcome email as it can put people off. We'd rather that new members discovered details of the required procedure from the information contained in the 'Entrance Hall' and throughout the forum in general, even if it takes a little while for it to sink in

Marco.
    Main System

I'm Peter.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Good idea - however, we don't like too many 'rules and regulations' appearing in the welcome email as it can put people off. We'd rather that new members discovered details of the required procedure from the information contained in the 'Entrance Hall' and throughout the forum in general, even if it takes a little while for it to sink in

Marco.
    Indeed - which is why I thought a strong hint was more in keeping.
    Peter

I'm ChrisB.

Is it possible to have a system where the first post of a new member generates a second welcome type email? This could be congratulating them on losing their 'Art of Sound Cherry' and it could have a few pointers in it........

Just an idea.

I'll have a poke around and see, Chris

Marco.
    Main System

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast