+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Your views

I'm Neil.

Hi Darren

I must confess to having no real problems myself navigating the forum. I am more experienced in these maters now but not that long ago I was very much the PC, internet and Forum virgin so I don't myself understand what navigation issues you might have.

Anyway I for one hope you stick around. Once you get to know us all I think/hope you will value AOS as much as I do.

Regards D S D L
    Regards Neil

Nick

that was useful thanks - seeing all new posts was something I looked for and use on other fora so its handy to know there is on on AOS

I understand how those of you who have grown up with the forum find ways of making it easier to use - will shut up now as its pretty obvious that you guys are happy with things the way they are - will hopefully adjust and stick around - will certainly give it a try

Dalek - its not that I can't get around it is that I noticed how hard it is to adjust - like moving from PC to apple apple is different for the sake of it in some areas and different cos its better in others - I guess I was just wondering if the counter intuitive navigation on this site was done "on purpose" or that you guys hadn;t noticed how it felt to a new user - as you imply its probably just me but I am no internet virgin either so would be surprised if its only me that feels this way

rgds
    darren

I'm Nick.

We'll keep an eye on things, Darren, and if there's a common theme in people's feedback we'll take it on board It's great that people like you care enough to raise these points. I'm sure that your experience isn't unique. Suggestions and constructive comments are always welcome.
    Nick
    My system...

Follow AOS on Twitter: @AoS_Forum

Suggestions and constructive comments are always welcome.
    Indeed they are. I did once express concern myself at there being too many rooms. Initially this was to stimulate discussions on specific topics that we hold dear and to focus readers' minds on certain aspects of the audio reproduction chain (i.e. ancilliaries) other than the obvious source-amps-speakers. As time has passed some of the rooms have been hugely successful, others less so and our AV room disappeared altogether.

The Strokes of Genius room is another requiring attention and rather than let it die, Neil has taken on the task of developing it.

The main - or rather default discussion area is the Blank Canvass, although if the topic of discussion lends itself to being in another room it will likely be moved.

I will re-visit the idea of consolidating rooms in the near future subject to agreement by the rest of the admin/mod team.

I'm ChrisB.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Toy View Post
    Indeed they are. I did once express concern myself at there being too many rooms. Initially this was to stimulate discussions on specific topics that we hold dear and to focus readers' minds on certain aspects of the audio reproduction chain (i.e. ancilliaries) other than the obvious source-amps-speakers. As time has passed some of the rooms have been hugely successful, others less so and our AV room disappeared altogether.

The Strokes of Genius room is another requiring attention and rather than let it die, Neil has taken on the task of developing it.

The main - or rather default discussion area is the Blank Canvass, although if the topic of discussion lends itself to being in another room it will likely be moved.

I will re-visit the idea of consolidating rooms in the near future subject to agreement by the rest of the admin/mod team.

With the number of posts that build up on any forum, you're always going to find a point where it gets bewildering when you're navigating through it. Personally, I find the AoS approach preferable, because early on I saw things that caught my interest & I knew where to go to find them - back to the start. With the opposite approach, the panic sets in when you know you saw a thread of interest but you can't find it amongst the morass of other stuff. Maybe my brain is left handed & Darren's is right handed, I don't know, but I vote that you leave it as it is.

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Toy View Post

Where else can you get a chance to submit and read for free reviews (well written please with nice photos), that are both informative and educational...such as Barry D Hunts recent item on Ortofon, this is a fantastic well written item IMHO. However all submissions are very welcome, and please don't be put of because you think your not up to it. If you can hear.....get typing.

Regards D S D L
    Regards Neil

I'm Confused.

Hi All,
    Visitors to this forum over the past few days will already know that I am an audiphile virgin (but losing my innocence rapidly thanks to you guys ). However these same visitors will also have noted that it does not stop me from holding firm (and usually wrong) opinions, so here I go again. I have just stumbled on this thread and I have to say that my initial reaction was EXACTLY the same as darrenw's - too many rooms and with counter -intuitive names. (That's why I have only just stumbled on this thread - too busy and confused navigating my way (not always successfully) through the other threads on which I have posted). darrenw said what I thought but put it much better than I could have done.
    It is only thanks to the very warm, friendly, prompt and helpful response that made me stay around long enough to get hooked (you'll all be glad to hear !!)
    In short, I cannot speak highly enough of the atmosphere here but it is, at least initially, a little confusing - no offence to the hard working individuals who put, and keep, it together - you're doing a brilliant job !
    Cheers,
    Dave.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

To add my tuppence worth, like Dave&Sue, I have only joined recently and it took me a while to get used to the site and navigate my way around.

The great majority of contributions seem to be responses to various threads and 'New Posts' is where I start. Typing various key words into 'Search' is very efficient and useful to me.

For members wishing to be proactive and not knowing where to place their new threads, the 'Forums Home' page lists the various pages and gives a short description of the appropriate content. If in doubt one can always ask one of the moderators.

One popular thread, maintained as a 'sticky', is the one where members list what they are listening to at the time of posting. Since this is so popular, could it be made permanent and not disappear from 'New Posts' after being read?

Barry

Delighted to read that Dave&Sue are starting to get the best out of their system - it's that sort of news that makes this forum so worthwhile, great fun to read and be part of.

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

To add my tuppence worth, like Dave&Sue, I have only joined recently and it took me a while to get used to the site and navigate my way around.
    Guys,

I must admit to being somewhat perplexed that people are finding the forum difficult to navigate or confusing. However, quite obviously this is an issue for some new members and so deserves to be looked at.

For us it seems very straight forward...

When joining, the first thing you should notice is the 'Welcome' area; therefore one click here should reveal that the done thing is to pop in and say a quick 'hello' by introducing yourself, your system, and your taste in music. After that, there is 'The Gallery' area where you post pictures of your system (if possible). Then there is 'Our Ethos', which you read and digest before posting, and after that you reach the main area of the forum and 'Blank Canvas', under which is (we think) a clear explanation of what topics belong in there. The same applies with the 'Digital Impression' and all the other rooms.

Yes, I agree the names of the rooms are 'arty' and somewhat non-specific, however, the description underneath each room should provide all the information that is necessary as to what topics are contained within. Therefore I'm struggling to understand where the confusion is...

Could I ask that those who initially struggled with the layout inform us of exactly what the problems were so that we can try to rectify them? I should point out that reducing the number of rooms right now is not an option, so suggestions as to tweaking the layout only will be entertained.

Just to underline the procedure we would like all new members to follow when first joining the forum is:

1) On completing registration go to the 'Welcome' area and introduce yourself, as outlined above, making sure that you include your proper first name in your signature and basic location details (town and country) in your profile.

2) Read and digest 'Our Ethos'.

3)When time permits, post pictures of your system in 'The Gallery' area.

4) Participate at your leisure in the main discussion areas of the forum.

5) No PMs should be sent until at least steps 1) and 2) have been completed.

I look forward to hearing any further suggestions

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Peter.

Marco,

your explanation is very clear. But, I don't think forums can read as linearly as you suggest. I came in through a link to a specific thread and it took me a while before I got round to reading the Welcome sections.
    If you want people to carry out specific actions as part of their joining the site perhaps you could include those actions in the welcoming e-mail that gets sent out? Or, make it very clear right at the point of registration that specific things are 'required' as part of being a member of the site.

Hope that makes sense.

Peter

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast