+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Your views

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I'm BigBobJoylove.

Default Your views

Something to tell us? Suggestions on how we may improve the site? Ideas for threads?

Let us know here!

Ben Duncan mains conditioner
    2022 MacBook Pro 14" M1 Pro 10/16/16/16
    Samsung QE75Q90T 75" QLED TV
    XMOS DSD Async USB to Coax converter
    RME Audio ADI-2 FS (AK4493) DAC
    Chord Clearway XLR interconnects
    Audioquest Crimson USB interconnect
    QED Quartz Reference optical interconnect
    Edifier S3000 Pro active speakers
    Atacama SE24 stands

Dear Moderator (Hi Rob)- I opened a topic in Musical Compositions called Recordings To Die For. It's had only a few looks and absolutely no replies. So, I start to think . . wa's up with that? Then it occurred to me that there is no such as a recording to die for. So, how's about softening the title to Desert Island Discs. And remove my explanation, too, please. Add something of your own if you would like. Maybe that won't be so intimidating. Thanks. Jim
    Hear your music, not your speakers

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Hi Jim

I'll nip in as Rob isn't on line yet. I'm sure he'll give his own thoughts when he arrives.

We can change the title if you wish (I like 'Desert island discs') but I don't think that's the problem because the thread was called 'Albums to die for', or whatever, on Hi-fi Corner, and it took off big time.

No, the problem I think is that unlike on Hi-fi Corner you haven't gone on to qualify the title by naming what your 'Recordings to die for' are. On HFC you named some interesting albums and described them in such a way that it stimulated interest in people to reply. You haven't done that this time that's why the thread has died.

The solution? Get writing what your desert island discs, or whatever you want to call them, are and hopefully the rush will follow!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm BigBobJoylove.

I agree with Marco.

I can change the title no problem and I'll add my faves, hopefully others will follow.

Ben Duncan mains conditioner
    2022 MacBook Pro 14" M1 Pro 10/16/16/16
    Samsung QE75Q90T 75" QLED TV
    XMOS DSD Async USB to Coax converter
    RME Audio ADI-2 FS (AK4493) DAC
    Chord Clearway XLR interconnects
    Audioquest Crimson USB interconnect
    QED Quartz Reference optical interconnect
    Edifier S3000 Pro active speakers
    Atacama SE24 stands

I'm InSpace.

Default Suggestion

Oops, missed this section.

I kind of made a small suggestion here:

http://www.theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?t=340

Cheers,
    Mike.
    Shian7
    --------------------------------------------------------

Kudakutemo
    kudakutemo

ari mizu-no tsuki

Though it be be broken -
    broken again - still it's there:
    the moon on the water.

- Choshu.

Hi Guys,

cool to ask for feedback - constructive hopefully but here goes....

I like your site but there seems to be way too many rooms for the casual reader - add in the names being a little "creative" and thus mildly counter intuitive it makes it hard work to be here - not I am presuming your intention

anyway I have persevered and am starting to get the hang of things but to be frank until the site grows in number of posters its a bit too thinly spread I suspect

rgds
    darren

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Hi Darren,

Thanks for your feedback. I take your point, but the reason the rooms are laid out the way they are is to divide discussions into separate categories for ease of reference later.

This means, for example, that if you read a discussion about a certain moving coil cartridge six weeks ago and want to find it again to seek some further information then you simply go to 'Analogue Art' where it will be archived for your reference and easily found, rather than it being lumped together with everything else in a general hi-fi discussion area and lost amongst a multitude of other discussions. Every room on the forum is also actively used on a regular basis, which shows that the procedure is successful.

Also, although the titles of the rooms are indeed worded in a "creative" way, there is we think a pretty clear and accurate description underneath in 'plain English' of what types of discussion should be posted there. It's just a matter of reading the room description and seeing whether your thread topic applies to the theme of that room or is best posted somewhere else. It's a little different from other forums but I'm sure you'll soon get used to it

AOS is different from some other audio forums because we're not just simply a 'hi-fi and music chat room' but also a resource for useful information, some of it quite technical. There is a massive amount of experience and information here on hand for people to tap into, and we want our members to be able to access it at any time as quickly and as easily as possible, hence why we're currently compiling an 'AOS library'.

If you have any other suggestions then please let us know. We will always listen to the needs of our members

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Darrenw View Post
    Hi Guys,

cool to ask for feedback - constructive hopefully but here goes....

I like your site but there seems to be way too many rooms for the casual reader - add in the names being a little "creative" and thus mildly counter intuitive it makes it hard work to be here - not I am presuming your intention

anyway I have persevered and am starting to get the hang of things but to be frank until the site grows in number of posters its a bit too thinly spread I suspect

rgds
    darren

Hi Darren

Have a look at AudioKarma for an example of veryyyyyyyyyy complicated and massive. Its like going for a row in the Atlantic, when you have been only used to a small boating lake.

Compared to other forums that have been around for years we are small but growing. AOS isn't for everyone but we both cherish and want to encourage all the members both new and old. AOS is an Oasis compared to the storm swept shores of many other places

Thanks for the feedback.

Regards D S D L
    Regards Neil

Hi Marco and DSDL,

Thanks for the explination - I suspected it would be by design rather than oversight but wondered if it is putting off users - you say you want to grow the membership and I was simply offering my experience as a casual user of the site - if your target audience is dedicated users who are looking at it as a resource and thus willing to "learn" their way around then perhaps you are right to keep it as it is.

BTW I wasn't suggesting you only had one room but rather you reduced and categorised into areas that were more frequently used.

I think it will put off some users but you seem to believe it is part of what defines the AOS forum so no worries

I find it distracting and difficult to find my way around so will either get the hang of it or drift back to PFM, Wigwam WAD etc.

thought it was worth a mention but it seems you have fairly fixed views of how this place should look so no worries

final point (for me) is the LOGO is quite big which I suspect also contributes to difficulty in navigating round the site (for me at least) - perhaps its just me though....

rgds
    darren

I'm Neil.

Hi Darren

I must confess to having no real problems myself navigating the forum. I am more experienced in these maters now but not that long ago I was very much the PC, internet and Forum virgin so I don't myself understand what navigation issues you might have.

Anyway I for one hope you stick around. Once you get to know us all I think/hope you will value AOS as much as I do.

Regards D S D L
    Regards Neil

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast