• 3 Stars

5 31.25%
  • 4 Stars

8 50.00%
  • 5 Stars

1 6.25%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Album Club: 01.11.2011: Curtis Mayfield - Superfly 1972 (Vinyl, CD)

I'm ILOB.

Quote Originally Posted by The Grand Wazoo View Post
    Yet another interesting choice for Album Club.
    2. For some reason I keep expecting to hear a soaring guitar solo from Ernie Isley, but never get one! Why the hell would I? He never went near the recording of this album!
    Loves anything from Pain of Salvation to Jeff Buckley to Django to Sarasate to Surinder Sandhu to Shawn Lane to Nick Drake to Rush to Beth Hart to Kate Bush to Rodrigo Y Gabriela to The Hellecasters to Dark Sanctury to Ben Harper to Karicus to Dream Theater to Zero Hour to Al DiMeola to Larry Carlton to Derek Trucks to Govt Mule to?

Humour: One of the few things worth taking seriously

I'm Steve.

Just checked and I only have the album 'Roots' so as soon as I get a chance, probably over the weekend, I will give it a go.
    They swim... the mark of Satan is upon them. They must hang.

FLAC / WDTV Live / Cambridge Audio / Tannoy VX12

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

If you've not heard the track that Bran Van 3000 did (with the blessing of Mayfield's widow) - give this a spin: http://open.spotify.com/track/5WdV3cj4TzwBIsKC6TdXyv
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.
    Please see "about me" for the rest of my cr@p! Gallery

A.o.S. on Facebook - A.o.S. on Spotify - A.o.S. on Twitter

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

I'm Keith.

Really not my cup of tea, I'm afraid. For me, black music starts with blues and ends with jazz - I'm really not a fan of soul, funk or disco and found this very difficult to get through, especially given the nature of the lyrics.

I gave it "2" as I suspect it's good within its genre, but not something I'll be listening to again.
    Keith
    Analogue: Lenco L75 with 'PTP5' top plate in heavy birch ply plinth/re-wired Rega RB300/SAE 1000e HOMC Cartridge/Trans-Fi Reso-Mat/Moth RCM
    Files: Voyage MPD/Custom PC/Supra USB/Beresford ASYNCH-1/Beresford TOSlink cable
    CDP: Inca Katana SE
    DAC: Beresford Caiman MkII (LiPo Battery powered)
    Pre-Amp: Croft Micro 25 Power-Amp: Croft Series 7
    Speakers: DIY Frugel-Horn Mk3 ('FH3') + REL Strata subwoofer
    Headphones: Beyer Dynamics DT990 Pro (250 ohm)/Schiit Asgard Headphone Amp
    Cables - Interconnects: Mark Grant G1000HD Speaker Cables: Van Damme Blue
    Mains: Belkin PF30/Mark Grant DSP2.5 & DSP1.0 Rack: Target

Office System: HP Win8 Laptop/JRiver/MF V-Link2/Beresford Bushmaster MkII/Topping TP20 Mk2/Mission 771e
    Bedroom System: Raspberry Pi/Raspbrian + MPD/HiFiBerry DAC/Topping TP20 Mk2/Mission 760i or DIY Hybrid Valve-MOSFET Headphone amp + Sennheiser HD595

Gallery

I'm Paul.

I'm on the fence with this. I'm sure it sounds great on vinyl, the arrangements are well done and Mayfield had a great voice. I actualy quite like this orchestrated funk/soul from this period especialy The Temptations. This suffers from being a soundtrack to a film which never quite works as a stand alone album. I haven't seen the film but I understand its not good. Will give it benefit of the doubt so just makes a 3. Not for repeated listening though.

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

I really like this! Cool as fuck choons for cruising to in the car..... Some of it reminds me a bit of the kind of sounds that accompanied Starsky and Hutch! Yo' Huggy Bear...

Track 11, the mix of 'Pusherman' is just boogietastic (as is the original 'Ghetto Child')...

Defo 4 out of 5 for moi. Some of you guys ain't go no soul, man!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Will.

An interesting choice...

Pusherman, Ghetto Child, and Superfly are the real standout tracks for me, the others are a little less engaging, I suppose I'm more enthused my the up tempo funky tracks.

I'm dithering between 3 & 4, I'll plump for 3...
    Cheers, Will

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

For me, it's the up-tempo, funky, tracks that make the album. I'd buy if for those three tracks alone

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Will.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    For me, it's the up-tempo, funky, tracks that make the album. I'd buy if for those three tracks alone

Marco.
    When Mr Mayfield does funky, he does it very well, the full 8 minute version of 'move on up' is still one of my favourites...

One of my mates does a rare groove funky DJ set, his first track on Saturday night was 'pusherman', I got some cool points for identifying and describing the whole superfly concept album...quite handy album club sometimes

The CD came home with me too...just for archival purposes of course
    Cheers, Will

I'm Rich.

A 3 from me, you cant really knock Curtis... its not the type of thing I'd listen to on my own but could see this getting a spin at one of our Poker nights sometime soon. We tend to go for funk rather than the predicable blues!
    One of these days... I'm going to cut you into little pieces.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast