+ Reply to Thread
Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 10181920

Thread: What's comparable to LS3/5a?

I'm Martyn.

Quote Originally Posted by Gordon Steadman View Post
    Judging by your pics on Flickr you should be called Quadman
    The LS3/5a was a BBC design, as we all know.
    The audio consumer discovered it ( as I did ) as a very competent small loudspeaker priced somewhat above similar sized loudspeakers available at the time.
    I understand the original manufacturers realised that there was a place in the market for a high quality small speaker.
    M Miles.

I'm Eddie.

Quote Originally Posted by Effem View Post
    I still can't work out what the current fascination is with the LS3/5a and even less so why they appear to attract silly money on the secondhand market
    The fascination is still there! And so are the silly prices on the second hand market. Collectors value is a thing I understand but that aside they are completely overpriced. A good sounding speaker but nothing anyone else couldn't replicate and sell I'm sure for a fraction of the cost.

ProAc have jumped on the bandwagon again now with the Tablette 10, which is basically an LS3/5A rip off again. Yet ProAc prices are just getting higher and higher as well. Decent sounding speakers but lets not get carried away. ProAcs prices have always been a bit salty but people put up with it for a generally good speaker but things are getting out of hand now. But even their Tab or Signatures make genuine LS3/5A like the Falcon look cheap in comparison. The price of these tiny speakers should be outlawed as far as I'm concerned, people are just getting ripped off I feel.

I'm Ian.

Quote Originally Posted by westsounds View Post
    The price of these tiny speakers should be outlawed as far as I'm concerned, people are just getting ripped off I feel.
    I agree with you that these do indeed have a high price tag, though we have choices.

I'm Eddie.

Quote Originally Posted by IHP View Post
    I agree with you that these do indeed have a high price tag, though we have choices.
    Trouble is there's not much of a choice out there when it comes to this speakers sound or 'comparable' speakers which sound near this good. Lot of small speakers are decent enough but there is something special about the way these do it and say the Harbeth P3ESRs and now the ProAc Tab 10s. But even those are overpriced imo. Just a lot of dosh for not a lot of speaker

I'm Matt.

Kralk bc-30 are a good alternative and far cheaper on the used market

+ Reply to Thread
Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 10181920