I'm Shane.

Who's Colin?

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Colin (Dudywoxer, as he's known on the Wam) - check the member's list

Steve,

You'll need to ask his permission.

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Neil.

Default Brass Bands

Hi Guys

I went round to Norm's house this afternoon to have a listen to his system and some of his music. Well I have to say that I liked what I heard. I would certainly not be put off listening to Brass. He played a number of Bands the ones I can remember are Corry and The black dyke band(I think thats right, If I am wrong, Norm will correct me). Wow the power and dynamics were breathtaking. The one thing that was very interesting was that one recording(which norm does not like) was suffering from dynamic compression and loudness. Heck I thought this was only to be found in pop/rock recordings(such as the horrible Metallica Cd). It was lifeless, flat,distant and compared to the others he played which were open and fabulous, this cd was pure crap, bar one track which was better but still not as good as the others he played.

Hes coming round on Wed so it will be Interesting to see how my kit does with the same recordings.

Regards D S D L
    Last edited by Spectral Morn; 29-12-2008 at 09:14.

Colin,

that would be difficult, since I seem to have been sort of banned, unsure what for though, unless it was the hi-fi world comment.
    I can assure you that you haven't been banned. If you're experiencing difficulties let me know what they are and I'll sort it out. I've sent you an email regarding this matter

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

As I was trying to say before something technical, got technical, for the tome of a brass instrument try the Dennis Brain recordings of the Mozart Horn Concerto's. For some real Brass Band stuff look out anything from Briggus, GUS, and Black Dyke recorded in the 70's and 80's thats 'band' centric rather than classical or 'MORE' type stuff. The range and wings are system testers. The edge of brass can easily become a glare.

(and ex soprano cornet and tenor horn player whoose 'lip' has long since gone)

Thanks Rob
    Sod the hi-fi, listen to the music

Good to see you back with us, Colin

Marco.
    Main System

I'm BigBobJoylove.

Quote Originally Posted by Colin View Post
    Thanks Rob
    My pleasure buddy, not a clue what happened there!

Glad you're back with us mate.

Ben Duncan mains conditioner
    2022 MacBook Pro 14" M1 Pro 10/16/16/16
    Samsung QE75Q90T 75" QLED TV
    XMOS DSD Async USB to Coax converter
    RME Audio ADI-2 FS (AK4493) DAC
    Chord Clearway XLR interconnects
    Audioquest Crimson USB interconnect
    QED Quartz Reference optical interconnect
    Edifier S3000 Pro active speakers
    Atacama SE24 stands

I'm Neil.

Default Discovery made

HI Guys

Well Norm came round this afternoon and had a listen to my system, which he liked. However he came to an awareness of the short comings of digital, even very expensive digital. Ever since I have known Norm He has been trying to improve the reproduction of brass bands on his system. He has always be keenly aware of the differences and in deed deficiencies of trying to do that, as we all are. Today he and I once again heard how poor red book digital is at capturing and reproducing the subtle things that make a recording come alive(all be it that will always be limited compared to real life, until some one invents away of doing it).

After playing a number of cd's Norm asked to hear my TT, he had brought some Brass on vinyl and I put on his Chandos lp of the Black Dyke Band(he knows them very well and all the things that go to make this band/musicians sound as they do). Within seconds he looked over and said that sounds real, and that was despite the clicks and pops. The instruments had a depth, harmonic and textural quality that the cd just did not have. It was like cooking fresh vegetables compared to frozen ones the flavour was eroded.
    I think everyone has heard how poor digital destroys the sounds of cymbals and the like. The air and shimmer, plus the decay is missing and what your left with is flat and dead(a friend calls this dustbin lids).

He had vinyl in the past but abandoned it because of surface noise. Today he and I had a reminder that everything that is new does not always offer an improvement. I have heard all this before but it took some one who understands how particular instruments sound (cornets etc) to make it really clear that digitally reproduced instruments( this goes for recording too) can and indeed do sound like cardboard cut outs and lack the life of the real thing. I know that piano enthusiasts also struggle to find a set up and kit that does justice to this harmonics rick instrument as well.

Analogue isn't perfect but it does a much better job of preserving the flavour of all types of acoustic instruments. Today it was the equivalent of dining in two restaurants, one the very best food, the other out of a plastic box with the instruction heat and serve.

Vinyl Rules.

Regards D S D L
    Last edited by Spectral Morn; 29-12-2008 at 09:15.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast