+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Is Switch cleaner ok

I'm paul.

Default Is Switch cleaner ok

Hi,I'v just taken delivery of a Radford SC24 Pre Amp in seemingly perfect order
    but the Volume Control is a vertical Slider which is noisy. I'v got some Servisol
    Super 10 Switch cleaner and was wondering if this would be ok?
    Also the circuit boards are the vertical slide in type and I'm not sure of the
    best way to clean the connectors on these?
    Any help would be much appreciated thanks
    Paul

Thorens TD 124, Thorens 12" Arm refurbished by Alfred, Shure M55, Denon 103r ,whest PS30R , Auditorium A23 Sony XA20 ES, Benchmark DAC 1 HDR, Elite Townsens 600c Pre,
    DPA Enlightenment DAC, , , Radford STA 25 Series 3, Aurex ST S80 , Tannoy Monitor Golds 15" Tannoy York Enclosures, TEAC DS H01, Isotek Substation, Abbey Road Reference Speaker Cables
    and some other stuff

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Yes, your switch cleaner should be fine, both for the slider controls as well as to clean the PCB edge contacts.
    Barry

I'm paul.

Thanks Barry, I really am astonished at how good this sounds, it has not been used for Three years, delivered today plugged it in and WOW must have
    a certain synergy with the STA 25.
    PS, How long should I leave it before plugging it in after cleaning the Switches?
    Paul

Thorens TD 124, Thorens 12" Arm refurbished by Alfred, Shure M55, Denon 103r ,whest PS30R , Auditorium A23 Sony XA20 ES, Benchmark DAC 1 HDR, Elite Townsens 600c Pre,
    DPA Enlightenment DAC, , , Radford STA 25 Series 3, Aurex ST S80 , Tannoy Monitor Golds 15" Tannoy York Enclosures, TEAC DS H01, Isotek Substation, Abbey Road Reference Speaker Cables
    and some other stuff

Location: North Cambs UK, Earth, Sol, Orion - Cygnus arm of galaxy

I'm MadeOfDeadGiantStarsThatExplodedEonsAgo.

Hi Paul, you should be ok straight away fella It's a cleaner & not a conductor, the stuff used to be regularly used on TVs that were being repaired in a shop that my father managed - while they were powered up

Maybe not the best recommendation, but I think you get the idea...
    Bests, Mark

"We must believe in free will. We have no choice" Isaac Bashevis Singer

I'm paul.

Thanks Mark
    Paul

and some other stuff

I'm Nobody.

If it's any consolation Paul, i used a very well known switch cleaner on some crackly carbon pots two years ago, it's still crackle free now.

I'm Dave.

Servisol is good stuff and probably the best we have found for sliders. Be a bit wary of using cleaners that contain a lubricant when cleaning sliding controls as they can leave a residue that dust particles stick to. You will often find that the crackling problems will return in a month or two as dust sticks to teh lubricant.

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

Servisol 10 has a lubricant I believe, but I and other engineers have used it for decades now with no issues at all.

Nice old preamp, that SC24. Only used one briefly and really got to know the ZD22 which replaced it (quite a bargain at the time).
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm Alex.

Hi,

I've always had good results with CAIG DeoxIT faderlube on volume pots. I use regular deoxit 5% solution to clean and then faderlube. I have never had to re-clean a volume pot once treated.

Regards,
    Alex
    Technics SL1210| Jelco SA-750| Benz Micro ACE SM MC| Squeezebox Touch/MCRU linear PSU | Cambridge Audio 851C | High Resolution Music Streamer II+ / Linestreamer+ | Raspberry Pi 2/IQ-Audio DAC+ / Max2Play | Conrad-Johnson ET3 Control Amplifier| Conrad-Johnson LP125sa KT120 Power Amplifier| Avalon NP Evo 2.0 Speakers| Cardas Audio Quadlink-5C Speaker Cables and Interconnects| Finite Elemente Pagode Signature E-14 equipment support

I'm Nobody.

Servisol 10 brilliant

+ Reply to Thread