View Poll Results: Please rate the album

Voters
16. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1 out of 5. (Not a chance mate I'd sooner listen to the St. Winifred's School Choir!)

0 0%
  • 2 out of 5.

4 25.00%
  • 3 out of 5.

7 43.75%
  • 4 out of 5.

3 18.75%
  • 5 out of 5. (I want to marry the lead singer and have his babies)

2 12.50%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Album Club: 25.10.2011: Big Star - #1 Record

Location: North Cambs UK, Earth, Sol, Orion - Cygnus arm of galaxy

I'm MadeOfDeadGiantStarsThatExplodedEonsAgo.

Hi Chris, I'll hook into Spotify & give it a spin when this CD ends

So more comments yet, don't be too hasty
    Bests, Mark

"We must believe in free will. We have no choice" Isaac Bashevis Singer

Location: North Cambs UK, Earth, Sol, Orion - Cygnus arm of galaxy

I'm MadeOfDeadGiantStarsThatExplodedEonsAgo.

Just listened to this While it isn't my normal cup of tea I really enjoyed it, there was a certain smile on my face from track one

Kind of reminds me of 70's music in a way & at times I thought I could somehow link this to some kind of psychedelic stuff like Gong, track depending Shades of all sorts of other groups were there to, I didn't feel like turning it off in the least

I don't think it's something I'll purchase but I reckon it was the right music at the right time for me this evening. I may not rate it so highly another time but it gets a solid 4/5 from me today as it put a smile on my face...

I'm not a sad bu**er but it was a definate pick me up
    Bests, Mark

"We must believe in free will. We have no choice" Isaac Bashevis Singer

I'm ChrisB.

That's great to know it hit the spot for you Mark, even if it was for one night only!

I'm the'greatunwashed'.

Quote Originally Posted by The Grand Wazoo View Post
    Any more for any more?
    I listened to this at work and it wasn't really my thing, but I was having a bad day - so in fairness I intend giving it another listen when I get a mo. I have a lot of gigs this week, so have not had much time yet.
    "People will hear what you tell them to hear" - Thomas Edison

I'm John.

Yep, you were right Chris, I hadn't voted. Now rectified
    Single spur balanced Mains. Self built music server with 3 seperate linear PSU, Intel i5, 16 GB RAM no hard drive (various Linux OS). Benchmark Dac2 HGC, single ended XLR interconnects/Belkin cable. Exposure 21RC Pre, Super 18 Power (recap & modified). Modded World Audio HD83 HP amp. Hand built Monitors with external crossovers , Volt 250 bass & ABR, Scanspeak 13M8621 Mid & Scanspeak D2905/9300 Hi. HD595 & Beyer 880 (600 ohm) cans.

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.
    -Bertrand Russel

John.

I'm Philip.

I've not heard of Big Star before, just had a listen on Spotify. I quite like them very easy to listen to.I voted 3 out of 5.
    Main Sys. N.A.S DAIS; 12" Ace Space , Benz Micro Wood SL, Timesteep T-01MC, Quad Platinum DMP, Quad Platinum Pre, FM4,Quad Platinum Stereo, Quad ESL 63, PRC4 RCM, Chord XLR, Mark Grant G1000HD, Black Mamba's. Stax SRM600 SR507
    AVCambridge audio Blu-ray player, Pioneer SC-LX 57 Front 2 channels switched into Quad 606 Powering the ESL63s. Rear powering Celestion Speakers, LFE 2 cheap subwoffers.
    Man-cave Sys. A. GL75, RB300, ZYX R100H, Rega Planer 3, RB200, Rega Carbon Elys II,Quad 34, 606, Tangent RS4.
    Man-cave Sys. B. Revox A77, Akai 400D, Sugdon A48II, JPW Monitors.
    Gallery http://www.theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?t=341
    Classic Sys. Garrard 301, SME M2-9R, Benz Micro Wood SL, Quad Vena, 303, FM3, AM3. ESL 57. Quad II, 22, FM2 Rega Planet. Rega Phono
    Gallery http://www.theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?t=403
    Headphones, Stax SR507 (x2) /SRM600 Limited, Sennhieser HD424, Sennhieser HD558, AKGK105UHF, Beyerdynamic DT 931, Beyerdynamic DT231, Etymotic ER4 micropro.

MartinT Guest

Some real moments of Status Quo there, took me right back to the 1970s when I rather liked them. Other songs also have a seventies feelgood sort of swagger. Full of good tunes that I've never heard before, indeed I had never heard of the band before. Some nice harmonies, too. 3 stars.

I'm ChrisB.

Now there's a thing!
    I'd never have spotted parallels between Big Star and Status Quo. I'm going to have to listen to the album all over again to see if I can spot what you're hearing Martin.
    Hmmm interesting!

MartinT Guest

Try Don't Lie to Me.

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

As mentioned when this was first introduced, I had no knowledge at all of this group. I can certainly see similarities in many other bands, and some good song writing. Track 1 has a great bass-line intro, and reminds me of Wings a little – definte McCartney-esque with the harmonies. Track 2 (The Ballad of El Goodo) could easily have been written by the Bee Gees, and I could actually see it being sung by - and a hit for - a modern day boy band. Track 3 - In The Street has a very Beatles vibe to it, albeit with the vocals are much edgier than the Fab 4’s output.

Track 4 – Thirteen – is more acoustic than the earlier tracks and a lot more “easy listening.” Don’t Lie to Me is definitely Status Quo blues – completely see where Martin is coming from with that! The India Song (6) I’d liken to a progressive Beach Boys – if there is such a thing! (Still with Beatles undertones though - which continues into the jangly guitar on When My Baby’s Beside Me.)

You probably get the idea by now – as Chris suggested, if they wanted to become the Lennon & McCartney of Memphis I think they certainly succeeded with that goal - I think overall it is very hard to listen to this and be “wowed” by it with a retrospective perspective – if I had been around and heard it in 1972 maybe I would have loved it – as it is, I don’t mind it, and can happily tap a foot along to most of it, but I doubt I will be buying a copy unless I stumble across it (I think I would have to have it on vinyl.) I think there are some potentially good candidates in there for cover-versions (have any been done, Chris?) as I think I enjoyed the songs more than the playing on some of the tracks. I would probably give it 6 out of 10, but as this thread is still in “old money” it deserves more than a 3 – so 4 stars from me.
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.
    Please see "about me" for the rest of my cr@p! Gallery

A.o.S. on Facebook - A.o.S. on Spotify - A.o.S. on Twitter

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast