+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Pondering about Blu-ray

I'm Gary.

Alternatively...
    Get a video/audio server PC
    rip your Blu-rays to 1080p MKV (or ISO) and play 'em through XBMC.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ohjkj6zOucs

sorry, wrong meeting....
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

I'm Jerry.

We have a media server, sort of now. It's a PS3 sitting next to the plasma. My son downloaded some software that allows him to wirelessly send hidef movies to the PS3 from his computer upstairs in his room. It works well, we watched Cowboys and Aliens at the weekend. Ok, not the most inspired choice of film but watchable.
    I don't ask where he gets the movies from.
    Jerry
    Hifi: IPL transmission line floorstanding speakers, Squeezebox Touch, Denafrips Ares 11 DAC, DCB1 Pre-amplifier, Croft Series 7 power amp.
    Custom Hifi cables HA10SE headphone amplifier and Hifiman HE-400 headphones.
    AV system: LG 55B7, Denon AVR -x2300w receiver, Quad 12L (front) 11c Centre and 11L rear . Velodyne DD15 subwoofer.

I'm Bill.

I've just bought a second hand Denon dvd2500 blu ray player to replace a Samsung BD-C5900 - set it up and bugger me, it seemed like my display and AV setup had just taken steroids - stunning difference! (LG 50 inch plasma 1080p/24fps and Pioneer VSX-LX50 driving Tannoy surrounds). It only has a single HDMI output though (no coaxial, optical, anything) so you'll need a decent AV amp.

I'm Lee.

I'm also thinking of entering the Blu-ray market. Where does the bd80 sit in relation to the bd75? I want something that's not too slow to load and has good pq for the price.

P.s I have a 42" panny plasma
    Lee

Independent Apple tech support guy at Macnology

Gear: iMac > ALAC > Airport Express > Beresford Caiman DAC > Mark Grant IC > Audiolab 8000S > Chord Rumour Speaker Cable > Dynaudio Audience 42 Speakers > Grado SR80 Headphones

Vinyl: 90's Rega Planar 2, RB250, Bias Cart, Rega Fono Mini

Last.fm

I'm john.

Quote Originally Posted by webby View Post
    I'm also thinking of entering the blu ray market. Where does the bd80 sit in relation to the bd75? I want something that's not too slow to load and has good pq for the price.

The 80 has the 7.1 analogues out and a bit more up market the 75 is a budget bd player..

jon

I'm Lee.

Quote Originally Posted by jon1 View Post
    The 80 has the 7.1 analogues out and a bit more up market the 75 is a budget bd player..

jon
    When you say budget, do you mean naff?
    Lee

Independent Apple tech support guy at Macnology

Gear: iMac > ALAC > Airport Express > Beresford Caiman DAC > Mark Grant IC > Audiolab 8000S > Chord Rumour Speaker Cable > Dynaudio Audience 42 Speakers > Grado SR80 Headphones

Vinyl: 90's Rega Planar 2, RB250, Bias Cart, Rega Fono Mini

Last.fm

I'm john.

When you say budget, do you mean naff?

Not naff lee just a lot cheaper..no analogues stuff like that..no frills bog basic

jon

I'm RichardbutpreferRich.

Used our £50 Richer Sounds Toshiba BD player for the first time last weekend despite buying it 10 months ago. Have to say that even for a cheap player the picture quality was noticably better than the Sony DVD it replaced, not a night and day difference but definitely an improvement.
    Rich

Source: Squeezebox Touch, Chinese AK4396 DAC, Pioneer PL-112D + Shure M75ED type2, Pioneer PD-7700 CDP
    Amp: Sansui AU-505
    Speakers: Ditton 44's

I'm Christian.

‘Blu-ray’ Reminds me of a joke from Peter Kay about a bloke he used to buy exotic videos from, he heard Blue Ray was big in Asian, ‘Christ he’s done well for him self!’

Location: North Cambs UK, Earth, Sol, Orion - Cygnus arm of galaxy

I'm MadeOfDeadGiantStarsThatExplodedEonsAgo.

I'm also thinking of entering the Blu-ray market. Where does the bd80 sit in relation to the bd75? I want something that's not too slow to load and has good pq for the price.

I can recommend the DMP-BD80, I have a couple of them here

As John says, they have the full complement of analogue outputs, very handy if you don't want to have to purchase an AV amp to decode audio from the HDMI output.

Picture quality is very good indeed for the money, or it was when I bought mine That was a few years back now. Better picture than the Sony BDP550 I was using prior to them, which I have just sold.

Still going to use them, but the main system now has an Oppo 95.
    Bests, Mark

"We must believe in free will. We have no choice" Isaac Bashevis Singer

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast