+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Pondering about Blu-ray

I'm Jerry.

Default Pondering about Blu-ray

My Samsung DVD player is fine but I was considering upgrading to Blue Ray.
    Are the current crop of cheaper Blu-ray players ok or should I spend out on a good one?
    Any makes better than others?
    Jerry
    Hifi: IPL transmission line floorstanding speakers, Squeezebox Touch, Denafrips Ares 11 DAC, DCB1 Pre-amplifier, Croft Series 7 power amp.
    Custom Hifi cables HA10SE headphone amplifier and Hifiman HE-400 headphones.
    AV system: LG 55B7, Denon AVR -x2300w receiver, Quad 12L (front) 11c Centre and 11L rear . Velodyne DD15 subwoofer.

I'm Mark.

What screen have you got?

Edit: Ignore that. Just seen you have a 43" plasma.
    Last edited by Dingdong; 24-10-2011 at 08:23.
    Mark

I'm colin.

How about that new Cambridge audio that plays every format ever made including Blu-ray. £400.
    Technic 1210, PS3, AVI neutron 2.1, Icon Audio p1 phono stage.

I'm Mark.

Quote Originally Posted by colinB View Post
    How about that new Cambridge audio that plays every format ever made including Blu-ray. £400.
    I've seen a Philips Blu-ray Player on ebay for less than £50 (might be re-cond), would that be a good first start?

I'm colin.

Even with my ps3, possibly the first Blu-ray player, you can see the difference so i think anything you get would be good at Blu-ray. Some of the cheaper ones dont do dvd so well ive heard.
    Technic 1210, PS3, AVI neutron 2.1, Icon Audio p1 phono stage.

I'm AMusicFanNotAnAudiophile.

I bought an ex display one of these http://www.richersounds.com/product/...bd550/lg-bd550 and it's an excellent machine.

You've never seen your screen at its best if you haven't played a Blu-ray on it.
    Chris

Common sense isn't anymore!

I'm Mark.

I got a Sony BD-370. It looks great on my 40" Sony lcd, and can use the same remote. I'm sure there's better, but not sure if I'd notice much on my screen at a 2.5m viewing distance.
    Mark

Location: North Cambs UK, Earth, Sol, Orion - Cygnus arm of galaxy

I'm MadeOfDeadGiantStarsThatExplodedEonsAgo.

Panasonic DMP-BD80 It's a year or so old now so i can't comment on the latest crop of things, however it has some of the best upscaling circuitry for doing the business with DVDs you'll ever see. Made my Sony BDP-S550 look a bit shabby with blu rays & ate it for breakfast with DVDs

Probably quite cheap now to secondhand

I have no plans to change either of them (i own two) for anything newer until there is some new format - I'm not interested in 3D
    Bests, Mark

"We must believe in free will. We have no choice" Isaac Bashevis Singer

I'm Jerry.

Got to agree with you about 3D Mark, I would not swap my Pioneer plasma for a 3D one.
    Thanks for the suggestions chaps, Richer Sounds looks good as the Supercover is only a tenner.
    Jerry
    Hifi: IPL transmission line floorstanding speakers, Squeezebox Touch, Denafrips Ares 11 DAC, DCB1 Pre-amplifier, Croft Series 7 power amp.
    AV system: LG 55B7, Denon AVR -x2300w receiver, Quad 12L (front) 11c Centre and 11L rear . Velodyne DD15 subwoofer.

I'm Jerry.

Just won this on Fleabay:
    http://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/e11003...SA%3AGB%3A1123
    Its all your fault Mark!
    Jerry

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast