Closed Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Perceived racism towards Indians

I'm Howard.

Default Perceived racism towards Indians

Well, hello.

I'm ChrisB.

Howard posted the above yesterday in order to signpost his decision to no longer participate in the forum. Marco subsequently deleted it. It went into the Trade Impressions section but, since it is effectively a complaint about The Art of Sound, I’ve moved it here. You’ll see that, as has often been Howard’s way of late, all he’s done is to post a link to his own blog pages.

If you follow the link, you might think, like I do, that it’s a bit of a shame that Howard has misinterpreted Marco’s comment in the way he seems to have done – both in intent and in meaning.

I had to do a little reading to discover the meaning and origin of the phrase that Marco used which apparently so offended Howard. I’d never heard it before, but it’s not too hard to find out what ‘Indian Giver’ means. There are several definitions and entries to Wikki’s and the like which explain the phrase, and some of them state that it is considered by some to be an offensive term. However, I couldn’t find a single one that mentioned it could be considered offensive to people from Asia.

What I did find, though, was the website of an Australian fashion business, which is called Indian Giver. The description which is given in their ‘About’ page reflects exactly the sentiment which I feel Marco was trying to convey.

QUOTE: The name Indian Giver refers to the form of trading with the intention of returning.
    Indian Giver deeply respects the native American culture and it’s traditions. No disrespect or harm is intended or inferred.

This seems a little at odds with the standpoint which Howard seems to be taking – that it is comparable with the term ‘Filthy Yid’.

Just like Howard, I don’t want to be associated with a forum that expresses racist views either, and on several occasions, both as a moderator and as a normal member, I have pointed out others behaviour when it has been truly offensive in this way. The difference in this case is that I don’t consider what was said to be racist. Now, Howard well may continue to think differently, but my view was that his privately published blog comments should not be the only place where this is documented, hence my decision to reinstate Howard’s post.

Maybe other people have an opinion on whether it is offensive? - whether they're Asian, from a First Nations tribe or otherwise.

I'm Lucky.

I have always known since I was a child that the term Indian Giver refers to an aspect of Original American culture and does not refer to Asian people in any way.
    Please Howard, put your Dummy back in.
    The Man with the suit and the pace. Knee deep in the dead.

I'm Lucky.

Actually I've just read Howard's remarks on his blog. Bet Marco won't sleep at night now......
    The Man with the suit and the pace. Knee deep in the dead.

I'm Lee.

Pathetic!
    Lee

Independent Apple tech support guy at Macnology

Gear: iMac > ALAC > Airport Express > Beresford Caiman DAC > Mark Grant IC > Audiolab 8000S > Chord Rumour Speaker Cable > Dynaudio Audience 42 Speakers > Grado SR80 Headphones

Vinyl: 90's Rega Planar 2, RB250, Bias Cart, Rega Fono Mini

Last.fm

I'm John.

"You’ll see that, as has often been Howard’s way of late, all he’s done is to post a link to his own blog pages."

Did Howard ever do anything else?

As for the "Indian giver" bit, I've always understood this to be much as Marco's use of the expression.
    Single spur balanced Mains. Self built music server with 3 seperate linear PSU, Intel i5, 16 GB RAM no hard drive (various Linux OS). Benchmark Dac2 HGC, single ended XLR interconnects/Belkin cable. Exposure 21RC Pre, Super 18 Power (recap & modified). Modded World Audio HD83 HP amp. Hand built Monitors with external crossovers , Volt 250 bass & ABR, Scanspeak 13M8621 Mid & Scanspeak D2905/9300 Hi. HD595 & Beyer 880 (600 ohm) cans.

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.
    -Bertrand Russel

John.

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Hi John,

As for the "Indian giver" bit, I've always understood this to be much as Marco's use of the expression.
    Could you clarify that please, John?

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm John.

"a present for which an equivalent return is expected."
    Single spur balanced Mains. Self built music server with 3 seperate linear PSU, Intel i5, 16 GB RAM no hard drive (various Linux OS). Benchmark Dac2 HGC, single ended XLR interconnects/Belkin cable. Exposure 21RC Pre, Super 18 Power (recap & modified). Modded World Audio HD83 HP amp. Hand built Monitors with external crossovers , Volt 250 bass & ABR, Scanspeak 13M8621 Mid & Scanspeak D2905/9300 Hi. HD595 & Beyer 880 (600 ohm) cans.

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.
    -Bertrand Russel

John.

I'm ChrisB.

Quote Originally Posted by Welder View Post
    "You’ll see that, as has often been Howard’s way of late, all he’s done is to post a link to his own blog pages."

Did Howard ever do anything else?
    Well, yes he did actually.
    In the past, Howard has written many intelligent, thoughtful and thought provoking posts on AoS (& I have told him that I had admired him for doing so) but that all changed & for some reason his preferred method has been to direct things to his own blog or to other web pages.

I'm John.

I must have missed those

I don't want to just dig Howard out because he can't reply as i understand it.
    But, this is obviously open to comment so here's mine.
    I would say though that participation in discussion, no matter how knowledgeable or not, and no matter how contrary to the forums ethos, provided its carried out in a reasonable manner, is what helps to keep the forum alive.
    Posting external links is okay i suppose, but then to not put forward a personal opinion leaves the link kind of hanging without much prospect of further dialogue.
    So, writing a first post, no matter how well written and tossing it to the keyboard warriors to fight over is in my view a form of arrogance and voyeuristic.
    However, its not my forum and what Marco is and isn't prepared to put up with is his business.
    Overall though i find Marco pretty tolerant. I would have chucked Howard off the forums i moderate long a ago but I'm just horrid

-Bertrand Russel

John.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast