+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Clock upgrades for VRDS 7

I'm Mark.

Default Clock upgrades for VRDS 7

I've been looking at clock upgrades for my recent purchase. There are quite a few out there at different prices. Does anybody have a recommendation?
    Mark

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

I can't believe my Trichord Clock 2 is now fourteen years old so i have to give a shout for them.

However, Audiocom are well thought of here, so you ought to have a word with them. I dare say that the main improvement though, will come from attention to the audio output buffer circuit and power supplies. Jitter is a funny thing, once very fashionable to get het up about, it seems that most of the issues were dealt with twenty years or more ago, in decent machines at any rate.

The cheaper VRDS series disguised their humble Sony roots very well, but IMO they were decent stable mechanisms and the electronics around them deserves a good tweaking IMO
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm Mark.

The Trichord was high on the list of clocks. That was the only bit I wasn't sure of, as there are a lot of options. The 2 seems a decent price as well. Some clocks seem to be bloody expensive for what they are, and the Chinese ebay stuff maybe a bit too cheap and nasty.
    The i/v and buffers and even the filter are pretty much decided on.

See here for the filter.

http://www.audionautes.com/Altriprod...SE/digital.htm
    1. The op-amps will probably be replaced by Burson modules and a new psu made for the analogue stage. Possibly with 317/337 regs or some fancy modules off tinternet.

And I must find a proper remote. My old 4 iron just doesn't look cool enough for when ladies visit.
    Mark

I'm Mark.

Forgot to add there will be a few caps changed as well.
    Mark

I'm Alex.

Audiocom fitted Superclock 3's to my CA 840C, along with nicer caps and op amps. Very happy with the results, so speak to Mark Bartlett and see what he proposes.

I believe that Marco has a lot of work done to his Sony CD by Audiocom, and is very pelased with the results.

Regards,
    Alex
    Technics SL1210| Jelco SA-750| Benz Micro ACE SM MC| Squeezebox Touch/MCRU linear PSU | Cambridge Audio 851C | High Resolution Music Streamer II+ / Linestreamer+ | Raspberry Pi 2/IQ-Audio DAC+ / Max2Play | Conrad-Johnson ET3 Control Amplifier| Conrad-Johnson LP125sa KT120 Power Amplifier| Avalon NP Evo 2.0 Speakers| Cardas Audio Quadlink-5C Speaker Cables and Interconnects| Finite Elemente Pagode Signature E-14 equipment support

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

One thing to watch - what reference are you using with all these expensive upgrades? if it's a "nicer" sound to your ears then I'd be very suspicious myself - but then, I'm getting cynical in my old age. Where Marco's CD player is concerned, I very much look forward to hearing it one day, but so much has been done to it it makes me wonder if Sony's engineers really knew how to design CD players at all??????? - especially in a top-line model as his is..... S'cuse me for saying this, but don't go too mad thinking that the original designers didn't know what they were doing in the first place - please

Location: North Cambs UK, Earth, Sol, Orion - Cygnus arm of galaxy

I'm MadeOfDeadGiantStarsThatExplodedEonsAgo.

They were still building to a price that they considered saleable Therefore things can be improved - there is no such thing as perfection
    Bests, Mark

"We must believe in free will. We have no choice" Isaac Bashevis Singer

I'm Mark.

I'm sure the original designers did a fine job on my cdp within their cost restraints and the available parts at the time.

I have a cunning plan to obtain another vrds 7 and use that as a comparison.
    The plan is to upgrade the clock and probably filter. Then a bit of work on the power supplies and the analogue stage. The use of 8-pin sil op-amps makes this a bit of a pain, but can be done with a bit of jiggery-pokery.
    Mark

I'm David.

Brilliant idea... I'm sure the VRDS7 is perfect for fettling

I'm Mark.

Might have been a lot easier if I'd just kept hold of the Copland CD288 or the Wadia 16 I have owned in the past
    Mark

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast