+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Nad 3020A Amplifier what a cracker!!

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

I am old! HiFi Dave is even older

Yeah Andr'e, you're quite right - it was thirty five years ago you know and I can't vivdly remember everything I saw, sold and used back then
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

Quote Originally Posted by DSJR View Post
    I am old! HiFi Dave is even older
    Poor old HiFi Dave!

Confession, I bought a new one in 1979 with a Dual CS505 I think and it gave way to a brand new 42/110 (£490.00) from Sheffield Audio Centre in 1983. Now that's old.
    Last edited by The Grand Wazoo; 21-10-2011 at 13:34. Reason: Fixed the quotation tags

I'm Nobody.

Quote Originally Posted by chrism View Post
    Poor old HiFi Dave!

Confession, I bought a new one in 1979 with a Dual CS505 I think and it gave way to a brand new 42/110 (£490.00) from Sheffield Audio Centre in 1983. Now that's old.
    My mate bought a Rega Planar 3 from the Sheff Audio Centre in the early 80's. We had Moorgate Acoustics at Westgate chambers (bottom of ship hill) in Rotherham, i used to buy all my clobber from there back then

I'm Dan.

Default 3020

Thread Resurrection

Update as you know may know i was given a 3020A with some other gear i bought was only about 3 weeks ago i looked in the wardrobe and saw it was their and thought i had to get it going so sent off for a service - New fuse holders , Pot clean , Bias reset have the invoice somewhere . £28 total not bad for the old girl - this one is going in the collection a very clean example i must say.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Receiver
    Marantz 2225
    CD Transport & DAC & PSU
    Marantz 6005 , Beresford Caiman , Paul Hynes SR4
    Turntable
    KAM DDX 1000 with Goldring G800 Cartridge
    Loudspeakers
    Mordaunt Short M10

I'm Andrew.

Yep I purchased a nice clean example of a 3020B from AOS and it now powers the other 1/2s system.
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm Alex.

I have a Proton 520 and 3130, sort of related models, pretty good.
    Spendorman

I'm Martin.

I heard my Uncles 3020A and thought that sounds very nice through his AR 18s?

It was a popular buy at the time through that group of Hifi dealers that formed an advertising collective. Dual Nad and ARs were shifting units. Is it one of the best selling amps of all time or something.

In general terms warm cuddly but with that sense of openness and handling like plenty of current on tap...like it found it easy and wasnt really an amplifier....thats a good quality

It even managed to make a Bucks Fizz land of make believe single sound attractive so it was doing something Right

I was tempted but Ive been told that later models are a better buy for retro purchases. The 3020A is generally priced higher than I really want to pay. Im still tempted as a restoration project though
    Last edited by Minstrel SE; 14-08-2017 at 16:59.

I'm Martin.

I would say get an 'A' a 'B' or an 'i' to restore. What's the point of restoring a more recent one?

The later models are still good though. Heard an all NAD system with their little speakers in London a couple of years back. That was the early 2000s stuff 'Bee' or something similar. Was shocked at how good it was. Clean, sweet, crisp, really enjoyed listening to it.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    I would say get an 'A' a 'B' or an 'i' to restore. What's the point of restoring a more recent one?

The later models are still good though. Heard an all NAD system with their little speakers in London a couple of years back. That was the early 2000s stuff 'Bee' or something similar. Was shocked at how good it was. Clean, sweet, crisp, really enjoyed listening to it.
    I didnt word that well. I mean an A, B or an I. I dont mean anything more recent than that.

I had a chance of picking up a 320 Bee for £6...however it had all the cosmetic signs of being very heavily and roughly used in a trade environment. It was well the wrong side of being cosmetically acceptable to me. I could have sprayed the front panel over but I wasnt in the mood at the time. My mistake really as I would liked to have given it a test for the price of fish and chips

When will a D3020 become vintage?
    Last edited by Minstrel SE; 14-08-2017 at 19:11.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123