• 3 out of 5

4 22.22%
  • 4 out of 5

8 44.44%
  • 5 out of 5

4 22.22%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Album Club: 18.10.2011: The Civil Wars - Barton Hollow (2011)

I'm the'greatunwashed'.

Default Album Club: 18.10.2011: The Civil Wars - Barton Hollow (2011)

The Civil Wars - Barton Hollow
    Feb 1st 2011 - CD, Vinyl, Download
    Playing time: 39:55

Spotify - Barton Hollow

The Civil Wars are a singer-songwriting duo who met by chance in Nashville and after some ad hoc sessions were both amazed at how they clicked musically. The fruits of this is their first recording 'Barton Hollow'. The album has received wide critical acclaim from not only the music industry, but more importantly other recording artists such as Taylor Swift, Sara Bareilles and Adele, who have done a pretty good job of getting them noticed by Tweeting and 'going viral' as the saying goes.

The simplicity of their work is captivating and sublimely beautiful, as their voices combine in that rare harmony often referred to as 'the third voice'. They perform on stage as a duo only, with nothing more than John Paul's acoustic guitar and their performance is spell binding. They were support for Adele on her recent U.S. tour and are also supporting her in the UK, but are now selling out as a headline act.

I adore this album and discovered them through Bob Harris who is also a huge fan and 'Barton Hollow' has been nominated for multiple awards in the U.S. It became the #1 download on iTunes the week it was released.

I have changed my album club choice three times now, but this is the album I'm playing most right now, so it feels right for the moment

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Civil_Wars

www.amazon.co.uk

Musicians

* Joy Williams (California)
    * John Paul White (Alabama)

http://www.thecivilwars.com

If you like them and want to see them live, they have their own headline show next year at the O2 Shepherd's Bush Empire on March 12th.
    There are some tickets left and their last London Show was a sell-out, so don't wait if you want to go.
    http://www.o2shepherdsbushempire.co....ickets/Details
    Last edited by Tim; 18-10-2011 at 19:12.
    "People will hear what you tell them to hear" - Thomas Edison

I'm John.

Wot no torrent download link ffs!

Ooops sry, I'll get my coat )
    Single spur balanced Mains. Self built music server with 3 seperate linear PSU, Intel i5, 16 GB RAM no hard drive (various Linux OS). Benchmark Dac2 HGC, single ended XLR interconnects/Belkin cable. Exposure 21RC Pre, Super 18 Power (recap & modified). Modded World Audio HD83 HP amp. Hand built Monitors with external crossovers , Volt 250 bass & ABR, Scanspeak 13M8621 Mid & Scanspeak D2905/9300 Hi. HD595 & Beyer 880 (600 ohm) cans.

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.
    -Bertrand Russel

John.

I'm Dave.

In - Tweaked Lenco GL75, Linn Ittok, Ortofon Cadenza Black
    Through - Croft Micro 25 RS LS, power R monoblocks, RIAA R. Ortofon ST-80 SE SUT.
    Along - Tellurium Q Ultra Black cables
    Out - Harbeth SHL5 Plus XD's

Street photography

Dave

I'm Dave.

Sorry post in error.
    In - Tweaked Lenco GL75, Linn Ittok, Ortofon Cadenza Black
    Through - Croft Micro 25 RS LS, power R monoblocks, RIAA R. Ortofon ST-80 SE SUT.
    Along - Tellurium Q Ultra Black cables
    Out - Harbeth SHL5 Plus XD's

Street photography

Dave

I'm Deleted.

A friend has just brought the record over - I must say it sounds lovely. I will be buying my own copy tomorrow.
    Account Deleted

I'm Steve.

I don't need to go to Spotify for this one! I have had this for some time now and I have given it a resounding 5 stars as I think it is fabulous.
    They swim... the mark of Satan is upon them. They must hang.

FLAC / WDTV Live / Cambridge Audio / Tannoy VX12

I'm Will.

Eeeuuughh...sickly, sugary, sweet, bland, not my cup of tea at all, sorry Tim, now if it had been the Low Anthem or suchlike...

1 Star
    Cheers, Will

I'm ILOB.

Another one a bit to nice for me
    Good song writing some nice acoustic guitar and certainly see why most will love this
    Sorry just does not engage me
    Loves anything from Pain of Salvation to Jeff Buckley to Django to Sarasate to Surinder Sandhu to Shawn Lane to Nick Drake to Rush to Beth Hart to Kate Bush to Rodrigo Y Gabriela to The Hellecasters to Dark Sanctury to Ben Harper to Karicus to Dream Theater to Zero Hour to Al DiMeola to Larry Carlton to Derek Trucks to Govt Mule to?

Humour: One of the few things worth taking seriously

I'm John.

I don’t mind this. It’s pleasant enough. They both sing well. It is as Will writes a bit twee and sickly but I’ve heard and probably got a lot worse.
    It’s reasonably well recorded and I will probably play it again. It’s not an album that would drag me away from whatever task I happened to be engaged in to sit down and listen but I’ve got it playing now as I attempt to sort my amps out.
    I might feel a bit more comfortable with the album if they made their minds up about which side of the Atlantic their country style originates from.
    3 out of 5
    Single spur balanced Mains. Self built music server with 3 seperate linear PSU, Intel i5, 16 GB RAM no hard drive (various Linux OS). Benchmark Dac2 HGC, single ended XLR interconnects/Belkin cable. Exposure 21RC Pre, Super 18 Power (recap & modified). Modded World Audio HD83 HP amp. Hand built Monitors with external crossovers , Volt 250 bass & ABR, Scanspeak 13M8621 Mid & Scanspeak D2905/9300 Hi. HD595 & Beyer 880 (600 ohm) cans.

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.
    -Bertrand Russel

John.

I'm Philip.

Heard them on Jools Holland last week, listened to the album on Spotify and ordered the record from Amazon the same day. I like them.
    Main Sys. N.A.S DAIS; 12" Ace Space , Benz Micro Wood SL, Timesteep T-01MC, Quad Platinum DMP, Quad Platinum Pre, FM4,Quad Platinum Stereo, Quad ESL 63, PRC4 RCM, Chord XLR, Mark Grant G1000HD, Black Mamba's. Stax SRM600 SR507
    AVCambridge audio Blu-ray player, Pioneer SC-LX 57 Front 2 channels switched into Quad 606 Powering the ESL63s. Rear powering Celestion Speakers, LFE 2 cheap subwoffers.
    Man-cave Sys. A. GL75, RB300, ZYX R100H, Rega Planer 3, RB200, Rega Carbon Elys II,Quad 34, 606, Tangent RS4.
    Man-cave Sys. B. Revox A77, Akai 400D, Sugdon A48II, JPW Monitors.
    Gallery http://www.theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?t=341
    Classic Sys. Garrard 301, SME M2-9R, Benz Micro Wood SL, Quad Vena, 303, FM3, AM3. ESL 57. Quad II, 22, FM2 Rega Planet. Rega Phono
    Gallery http://www.theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?t=403
    Headphones, Stax SR507 (x2) /SRM600 Limited, Sennhieser HD424, Sennhieser HD558, AKGK105UHF, Beyerdynamic DT 931, Beyerdynamic DT231, Etymotic ER4 micropro.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast