+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My open baffles are finished

I'm ron.

Default My open baffles are finished

After a long and hard road trying to get open baffles to work i gave up on crossovers and went the Vic at Transcription route. Have to say here and now Vic is a true gent and very very patient to a complete numpty like me. But after getting all the drivers and tweeter from him i went about designing the baffles.
    i got a sheet of very good baltic birch ply, 18mm thick and glued these together and cut 2 rectangle slabs. Ithen bought realwood American wallnut veneer and popped my drawing and wood to a shop i have close who CNC machined the bevaled egdes and holes for the drivers then finished in a satin clear lacquer.
    I fitted the drivers and tweets then wired up with cable talk 3. Bought a pro amp and a berhinger DEQ2469 for the eq of the 15" selenium neo bass drivers. I run the bastanis 12" and tweeters with my hyperion class A 18w valve mono blocks. Now from the off these sounded rather good but the bass was still playing some mid and treble. I messed about with the DEQ and got the bass drivers doing from 150Hz down the 12" does from that point upto i think its 16Khz ( not sure if this is right) and the tweets do all above that. the difference was really profound with a lot better bass and the mid although a little shouty was crystal claer.
    Got a freind who know more than me ( not hard to do) and he set it up but intrduced some EQ into the bass to drive the 15" deeper and this in turn seems to have smoothed the mids. what im getting now is utterly butterly lovely with REAL deep bass no nasties at all detail to Die for and a big big sound top to bottom. I love these speakers so much so my Living Voice Avatar II's are now sulking in the spare bedroom. Only thing i dont like is the hum im getting from a nasty cheap pro amp that drive the bass. Im looking for a pwerful stereo amp to replace this so anything yoiu can recommend would be good. Something like a rotel with 180 to 200w or so and black would be good.
    some piccies

love to hear your comment and recommendations please.
    Ron

I'm Nick.

Wow those look fantastic. I have some inkling as to how they sound having heard Vic's OB's at Scalford earlier in the year. Looks like you have a great sized room for them too.

The woodwork looks beautiful. Top job!
    Nick
    My system...

Follow AOS on Twitter: @AoS_Forum

synsei Guest

They look totally cool. Nice pieces of furniture and great speakers to boot. Sorted!!!

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Very nice indeed. Well done.

I'm andy.

Very nice Ron, i do like big drivers.

Would you be interested on a just serviced MC2 audio MC750 pro amp,
    still in the box it came back from the factory never opened, £500.00 to your door, let me know what you think.
    Frank...made me do it.

I'm ron.

thanks but trying to stay away from pro amps to be honest this is the third one ive had and although the cheaper ones they are noisy have fans and hum through the bass units so want to try a powerful stereo amp 150 to 200w rotel or something like that.
    Budget is tighter than 500 to
    Thanks for the offer

I'm Neil.

Those look fantastic.
    Regards Neil

I'm ILOB.

Lots of amps you can use I think any clean sounding 100 to 200 watt amp will do
    Nice work sure they sound great
    Loves anything from Pain of Salvation to Jeff Buckley to Django to Sarasate to Surinder Sandhu to Shawn Lane to Nick Drake to Rush to Beth Hart to Kate Bush to Rodrigo Y Gabriela to The Hellecasters to Dark Sanctury to Ben Harper to Karicus to Dream Theater to Zero Hour to Al DiMeola to Larry Carlton to Derek Trucks to Govt Mule to?

Humour: One of the few things worth taking seriously

I'm Hugo.

These look rather lovely. I can't help but wonder how my Tannoy 15" Monitor Gold drive units would fare in a similar open baffle configuration?

I'm ron.

Default ob

Quote Originally Posted by Dalek Supreme D L View Post
    Those look fantastic.
    Thanks guys very kind,
    If you wanna hear them give me a shout mate!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast