+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Aluminium polishing

I'm Nobody.

Default Aluminium polishing

Does anyone know of a very fine Aluminium polish? I'm having no luck with Autosol its leaving very fine marks after polishing (yes i do wash it down with fine cloth & soapy water before buffing, & it's not the cloth im using) even tried a liquid polish like Brasso but still the same.. I took the pieces to a proffesional polisher that did an even worse job, but told me you'll not get it perfect

You can't see the marks unless at an angle of light, they are very very fine but it's irritating me.. i'm seconds from lobbing this turntable through the window tbh only other option i see at the mo is going getting the parts finished in black!

I'm John.

You could try cleaning with isopropyl alcohol first. That should remove all traces of polish for a fresh start.

If I'm talking rubbish please tell me.

I'm Nobody.

I tried that no good, made a bigger mess if anything..I originally thought it was an Anodized finish but since it looked like bare Aluminium & the polish turned black straight away i discounted that! no laquered finish as paint strippers does nothing! it has to be down to the polish being too abrasive.

The wife can't see it but i can

I'm Deleted.

It's more likely that the finish of the aluminium isn't smooth enough in the first place; polishing just polishes the scratches. Use very fine wet and dry with a touch of washing up liquid - worn fine wet and dry to finish - it should then polish like a mirror.
    Account Deleted

I'm Bernie.

Professional polishers use a rouge of some kind as a last step to bring out the gloss. Not sure what they contain but you can buy hobby polishing kits.

Have you tried using talcuum powder as the final polishing step?

Gloss is also dependant on the quality of the alloy being polished too.
    Bernie.

I'm Nobody.

News Flash

Just had an idea: Greygate Plastic Polish....Cloth was grey when rubbing so im happy using it as a very very fine polish that seems to have done the trick anyway..Thats about perfect now.

Bloody hell i don't half get the strop on when things don't work out perfect
    Last edited by Rare Bird; 10-09-2012 at 13:29.

I'm Mark.

Quote Originally Posted by Canetoad View Post
    Professional polishers use a rouge of some kind as a last step to bring out the gloss. Not sure what they contain but you can buy hobby polishing kits.

Have you tried using talcuum powder as the final polishing step?

Gloss is also dependant on the quality of the alloy being polished too.
    Think that is jewellers rouge that you mention. I think it is iron oxide, but could be wrong. Available from ebay. Polishes stuff a treat.
    Mark

I'm Bernie.

Thanks Mark.

Looks like Andre has sorted it. Looks nice Andre.
    Bernie.

I'm Josie.

Prestige Stainless polish is very good. Or there is some that 3M make for lacquered surfaces.

To get old polish off use Fairy Power Spray... That stuff is brill. I used it on my alloy platter and worked a treat... It's powerful stuff so don't leave it on for long.

oOOPS... Sorted, nice one... didn't see that.
    Ultrafide U500DC power amplifier - Croft Vitale )highly modified) - TRIO L-07D Turntable - Denon DL103C1 - Funk Firm Houdini - Lentek MC head amp - 15" Tannoy Monitor Gold Loudspeakers in Lockwood Major cabinets (From Trident Studios) - Tannoyista SPEC 3 Custom Crossovers - VanDamme Black Speaker Cable

Tannoyista.com

Facebook

I'm Geoff.

Jewellers rouge is incredibly fine and will take ages to show any result at all on aluminium and aluminium alloys.

Silver polish has finer abrasive than T Cut and Brasso and should work well.

As has been suggested an acrylic/plastics polish would probably be OK too.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast