+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A different dimension rect. Tannoy GRF for Reds

I'm Steve.

Default A different dimension rect. Tannoy GRF for Reds

I've been building a different dimension rect. GRF for that narrower room space...

First I used Hornresp to model the back loaded horn section and get the volume / baffle (throat and mouth sizes right). Once suitably conforming with the orginal shape rect. Tannoy model it was time to cut wood. 21mm Scandi birch ply throughout of course.

These are exactly the same volume at the others but are 45cm wide, 125cm tall and deeper by a bit.

Here's some pics
    Basic plan

Cut out - The front baffle really is the narrowest you can go...

Under construction

First cab up

Recessed removable backs - allow access to crossover / tuning of the folded horn damping if needed. 24 screws fixing and gasket so no risk of resonance.

Part finished - few more spray coats to go.

In the room under test with HPD's loaded

Brass panhead bolts or caphead?

Full length vintage cloth grilles

Geniune NOS Tannoy Reds badges

Under listening tests with the Reds loaded and using a little 5W SET EL84 amp the sound easily filled my large lounge diner with great full Tannoy sound.
    The modelling worked - they sound just the same as the other Rect 21mm birch ply Tannoy cabs I have heard.

I'm very happy with the resulting look / sound. Enjoyable project.

I'm paul.

A fantastic job
    Paul

Thorens TD 124, Thorens 12" Arm refurbished by Alfred, Shure M55, Denon 103r ,whest PS30R , Auditorium A23 Sony XA20 ES, Benchmark DAC 1 HDR, Elite Townsens 600c Pre,
    DPA Enlightenment DAC, , , Radford STA 25 Series 3, Aurex ST S80 , Tannoy Monitor Golds 15" Tannoy York Enclosures, TEAC DS H01, Isotek Substation, Abbey Road Reference Speaker Cables
    and some other stuff

I'm John.

Hello Steve.

They look excellent
    Looking at the finish you’ve achieved with the bare ply has made me feel a bit ashamed of the impatient, well its what they sound like not what they look like, approach I have to my builds. So much so in fact that I think I’m going to make the effort and do something to make my Volts look a little less like something that got dragged out of some studio and went on the road as a PA setup.

Part of my reluctance to spend time and effort on finish is I have quite large radii on my enclosures and apart from the cost of say veneering, there is also the difficulty in bending without steaming and getting a robust and easily repairable finish at a reasonable cost.

So, if you wouldn’t mind sharing, how did you go about finishing the enclosures, stain/varnish/number of coats, method?
    Single spur balanced Mains. Self built music server with 3 seperate linear PSU, Intel i5, 16 GB RAM no hard drive (various Linux OS). Benchmark Dac2 HGC, single ended XLR interconnects/Belkin cable. Exposure 21RC Pre, Super 18 Power (recap & modified). Modded World Audio HD83 HP amp. Hand built Monitors with external crossovers , Volt 250 bass & ABR, Scanspeak 13M8621 Mid & Scanspeak D2905/9300 Hi. HD595 & Beyer 880 (600 ohm) cans.

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.
    -Bertrand Russel

John.

I'm Paul.

lovely job Steve, loving the cherry red finish - a true work of art.

I recently built some OB's and p*ssed about with various wood stain finishes only to end up painting it gloss white!
    Paul.

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

They look beautiful for such a large enclosure. Hope they sound as good as they look..
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm Steve.

Hi Steve, I have been waiting for you to let us know about these since you mentioned them a while ago. I personally think they look better than the standard wide version and would go for this design myself. Now that you have confirmed the sound is the same, I would definitely build them myself. Thanks for taking the time to post up the design and pictures - do you have the plans?

Steve
    They swim... the mark of Satan is upon them. They must hang.

FLAC / WDTV Live / Cambridge Audio / Tannoy VX12

I'm Steve.

Thanks guys - always fun to try something different and nice that the hornresp modelling hold true in reality of listening tests.

I'm Steve.

1. Sand down to remove all the cross grain cuts / make end grain / edges smooth and even.
    2. Condition the plywood with a mix of shellac sanding sealer and industrial alcohol. This soaks in but leaves a level of sealing that prevents subsequent stain from soaking in unevenly.
    3. For these cabs I sprayed the water based stain on (I have a nice compressor and paint spray gun) -use a proper filter mask.
    4. Apply many coats of clear water based varnish - polish a bit but not too much.

I have also had good results spraying water based coloured varnish directly onto the conditioned wood too. I will be finishing my 5 way horn project birch ply 12 sided conicals / tapped horns that way.

They currently look like this

but first I am going to make a tubular metal stand / support for the upper and mid horns and get rid of the lash up stands I made in 0.5hr to test them... It will be one rear vertical that you won't see and two or three horizontals that the horns will hang off.
    Base will be on pads or 4 castors so they can be moved.
    1 or 1.5" tube should do it - bit of angle grinding and welding to boot.

There you go.

Quote Originally Posted by Welder View Post
    Hello Steve.

They look excellent
    Looking at the finish you’ve achieved with the bare ply has made me feel a bit ashamed of the impatient, well its what they sound like not what they look like, approach I have to my builds. So much so in fact that I think I’m going to make the effort and do something to make my Volts look a little less like something that got dragged out of some studio and went on the road as a PA setup.

Part of my reluctance to spend time and effort on finish is I have quite large radii on my enclosures and apart from the cost of say veneering, there is also the difficulty in bending without steaming and getting a robust and easily repairable finish at a reasonable cost.

So, if you wouldn’t mind sharing, how did you go about finishing the enclosures, stain/varnish/number of coats, method?

I'm David.

Great work Steve, inspiring me to finish mine.

If only I could get that Tasmanian Blackwood for the trim delivered!!!

I'm John.

Thanks Steve
    I’ve had some horrendous results trying to finish ply in the past.
    Spraying equipment must help. Its been the sealing stage that has given me the most grief.
    I’ll give your shellac and alcohol sealing mix a go; proportions (?) if I’m not pushing my luck please
    Single spur balanced Mains. Self built music server with 3 seperate linear PSU, Intel i5, 16 GB RAM no hard drive (various Linux OS). Benchmark Dac2 HGC, single ended XLR interconnects/Belkin cable. Exposure 21RC Pre, Super 18 Power (recap & modified). Modded World Audio HD83 HP amp. Hand built Monitors with external crossovers , Volt 250 bass & ABR, Scanspeak 13M8621 Mid & Scanspeak D2905/9300 Hi. HD595 & Beyer 880 (600 ohm) cans.

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.
    -Bertrand Russel

John.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast