+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Over Exposed Exposure.

I'm John.

Well I’ve got a few resistors on the way and may just see what it sounds like if I give it a bit more current if the trannies can cope.
    Single spur balanced Mains. Self built music server with 3 seperate linear PSU, Intel i5, 16 GB RAM no hard drive (various Linux OS). Benchmark Dac2 HGC, single ended XLR interconnects/Belkin cable. Exposure 21RC Pre, Super 18 Power (recap & modified). Modded World Audio HD83 HP amp. Hand built Monitors with external crossovers , Volt 250 bass & ABR, Scanspeak 13M8621 Mid & Scanspeak D2905/9300 Hi. HD595 & Beyer 880 (600 ohm) cans.

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.
    -Bertrand Russel

John.

Location: North Cambs UK, Earth, Sol, Orion - Cygnus arm of galaxy

I'm MadeOfDeadGiantStarsThatExplodedEonsAgo.

They should do as long as you don't go nuts, TO3 are about as robust as you'll get

I'm not sure of the power rails or the heatsinking but if the rails are say 40V each then 100mA shouldn't be a problem. That's only 8W dissipation per channel.
    Bests, Mark

"We must believe in free will. We have no choice" Isaac Bashevis Singer

I'm John.

Cheers for having a look anat anyway Mark
    I’ll let you know how I got on.
    I should have the bits Tuesday.
    Single spur balanced Mains. Self built music server with 3 seperate linear PSU, Intel i5, 16 GB RAM no hard drive (various Linux OS). Benchmark Dac2 HGC, single ended XLR interconnects/Belkin cable. Exposure 21RC Pre, Super 18 Power (recap & modified). Modded World Audio HD83 HP amp. Hand built Monitors with external crossovers , Volt 250 bass & ABR, Scanspeak 13M8621 Mid & Scanspeak D2905/9300 Hi. HD595 & Beyer 880 (600 ohm) cans.

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.
    -Bertrand Russel

John.

I'm John.

Yessssssssss, sorted

The problems were, a few high resistance solder joints, one on a transistor leg, another on a resistor.
    One small section of track had a crack in it. That was a bit fiddly to sort out as there wasn’t a lot of room at that point.
    All emitter resistors replaced and a variation of less than 8 mA over the 6 achieved.
    I now have a Dc offset 13 mV left channel and 20 mV, acceptable I think.
    I also changed the speaker output banana sockets which weren’t giving the best connection with the plugs I use.

I’m still a bit surprised I could hear the effect of the faults; maybe my hearing isn’t as dire as I had assumed.

They’re sounding excellent now; a noticeable improvement over the 25RC. They still have that “bags of grunt” feeling I tend to associate with Exposure amps but have gained some extra control over its use.
    I’m usually a bit stumped when trying to describe differences in what I hear but Dave (DSJR) got it for bass at least. The slightly uncomfortable sensation one gets from a pressure wave in the lower Hz region is more pronounced. It’s not more bass as such and my trousers are definitely not flapping, just a different delivery, more punch, less steam roller. I also seem to have acquired improved percussion decay.
    The 21 & 18 combo does give an extra 15 watts of power which may have some bearing depending on how the amp draws availible power I imagine.

I would love to hear an unaltered combo to compare mine to, just to see if there is a difference between them.
    Anyway, these will do me until someone gives me a NAD M2

I think that’s me just about done with Hi Fi. I’ll probably continue to tinker with the music server and possibly make what I have look more appealing but with regard to buying new kit; well, I can’t afford anything that will give what I consider to be worthwhile improvements and some imminent changes in circumstances will probably mean I’ll be spending a lot less time at home and even less in front of the computer.......

-Bertrand Russel

John.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123